Bilateral PKR A Few Quirks

Almost 15 months -

Just a quick note.

My knees actually feel pretty good. There is still some tightness and they are stiff in the morning and after riding in a car, but loosen up with a little walking. It also feels like the ROM will increase. Still working on fitness, which is currently stalled due to hamstring injury, but I walked around an RV show, going up and down stairs for a couple hours. I was exhausted when I got home, but it's progress.

I think most of my frustration and lack of patience has to do with the hamstring injury. Ortho doc prescribed muscle relaxers, as needed, but I've needed them daily for the past 5 days. I talked to my Primary who set me up for PT for the hamstring. I'm a bit frustrated due to the time it has taken to get the extra help, but am excited that more can be done to make it better.

I have another white water rafting trip planned on a less intense river in 5 months, so I'm really hoping the new round of PT will get me ready for it. I need something to train for, keeps me young.

I’m glad you’re seeing improvement, even if it’s slow.

Which partial did you have? I’d like to add that information to your signature.

Which partial did I have? I had both done at the same time.

What I meant was, did you have a Medial, Patellofemoral or Lateral partial replacement?

17 months - I think

I think most of my weird problems are because of the hamstring. I also think my original injury 25+ years ago was a hamstring tear and not an ACL tear like every doctor I went to told me. (Even had surgery on it)

The symptoms are the same as my original injury.

I'm in PT again, but I feel like I have a chance to fix it, instead of just waiting, taking muscle relaxers and reinjuring it about every 2 or 3 months.

I LOVE MY PHYSICAL THERAPIST: She listens to my complaints and adjusts my treatment based on that.

Leg was bent 8%. PT got it straight in 2 weeks.
ROM 108 degrees - It went to 115 in 6 weeks. Trying to get to 120.
Constant tension in hamstring - 2 sessions of dry needling. - Tension gone
Pain on top of lower leg. (like a shin split but on the lateral side of the shin bone) - Flexibility of hamstring made it go away.
Knee slips randomly when walking or standing - PT still working on that but it is better. (weak stabilizing muscles)

I have elected to stay in PT until my leg is strong. If left on my own, I would injure it again. I feel hopeful that I can get back to better than I've been for the last several years.

This has been such a long process to get to full health in the joint again. (possibly 25+ years) The implants are good, it is everything around the implant that is giving me trouble.

Quick note since it has been a while.

PT was going well and I was moving toward discharge, but then my leg lost all strength. PT asked me to get my back checked. My Primary doctor saw no problems with my back, but he did notice that my left knee has a hyper-reflex. My knee jerks faster and stronger than normal. He recommended a Physical Doctor. Physical Doctor took X-Rays today. They showed minimal degeneration on L4-5, but the doctor doesn't think that is the problem.

Next step is MRI, or whatever they can do with the knee replacement in there. Once they know what the problem is, we can talk about treatment. Worst Case Scenario is doing a total knee replacement. If it comes to that, I think I will wait and just learn to live with it. Might need a total replacement in 20 - 25 years anyway.

Final Entry - 2 Years Later

My right leg is good and I'm glad it is fixed.

Left leg - I think most of the problems associated with the leg originated from the pulled hamstring. I also kept reinjuring it, so patience is the key.

Lumbar MRI showed some problems with my lower back; however, according to 4 doctors, the lower back problems have nothing to do with my left quad weakness.

So the left quad is an exercise in patience and baby exercises that will gradually build back the muscle. I am also doing so exercises to strengthen my lower back. I believe this will require at least a few more years of careful, light weight lifting and listening to my body when it says it is tired.

Glad you are starting to see light at the end of the tunnel, wishing you continued healing.

You are welcome to come back to update, others with similar challenges will appreciate reading your story.

10 months since my last entry.

Leg was gaining strength, but I still walked with a limp and didn't know what exercises to do. I was afraid of putting tension on the implants and of reinjuring the hamstring, so I called my Physical Therapist. My hips were out of alignment and my hamstring was tight. 6 sessions over 8 weeks and she released me with a new set of exercises for my hips and hamstring flexibility.

The limp is finally gone! It has taken almost three years of gentle exercise.

My mantra has turned into Patience and Persistence. Listen to your body and hang in there.

PS. If you are having trouble, seek a new physical therapist or talk to your old one. Mine has made all the difference.

Great news! Your patience and persistence paid off. We often remind members that full recovery may take longer for some, still making improvement into their second and even third years post op. You are proof! Thanks for stopping back to share an update. Best Wishes!
@SugarPeas

I’m waiting to see how my knees feel when all this is done. Primary goals are to get back to daily living, then walking multiple miles, riding a bike and using the Versa Climber I bought during COVID. Skiing will have to wait until I see how things progress. Might have to stick with the bunny slopes. :)

Hi SP, I had bilateral PKR 4 months ago, so it's really interesting reading about your recovery. Did you manage to get back skiing?

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks