THR On the Other Side

Michael_00

Country
United States United States
Hey Everyone,

I had my right hip replacement on November 3rd and things are going really well. As for a quick update, I was actually in the hospital for a few extra days, until the 7th due to feeling light headed during physical therapy. When I got home I was spiking some low-mid grade fevers for the first few days at home. After a doctor instructed trip to the ER, they said I was alright and eventually the fever broke and then would just pop up at night. My last fever was the 13th.

Baring that little setback feel much better. I am moving around the house with a walker, and that really deep pain isn't there anymore. It stills aches but it feels great, it feels like muscles instead of that deep pain. Yesterday, I even sat down on the bed without worrying about my hip, still following all my protocols of course.

Once again thank you to everyone in this community, you have been a massive help. I know I still have a long road ahead with ups and downs, but am excited to get started.

- Michael

Wonderful update!! Sorry to read that you were in the hospital for a few days but then again, it's great to have the medical assistance when needed, isn't it?
Isn't it great to lose that deep pain inside the bad hip joint? I hope I never forget that exhilaration and still appreciate wheat this surgery has given me.

I'd love to leave you some reading material about your recovery. You've probably read some of them if you are browsing the forum but it's nice to have them on your page to do a quick reference, when needed.
@Michael_00

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Welcome to the healing side of the forum, Michael. I’m sorry you had a bit of a rough start with the lightheadedness and fever. Thankfully that is now behind you and you’re on your way to enjoying life again without the pain of a deteriorating hip. Please continue to share your journey here so we can cheer you on as you hit new milestones.
Happy Tuesday! :wave:
@Michael_00

Hi Michael.. Your very brave to cope with all you have and It will all be up hill from here. Hip replacement will give you many years of mobility. Take it slow and easy does it for the first six months especially . The bone is growing to secure the implants and your body needs up to 12 months to totally heal. My oldest implant is 23 years old and I hope you take good care of your shinny new hip know the new precautions for future use and it will last many years .
Sending healing vibes your way.

am moving around the house with a walker, and that really deep pain isn't there anymore. It stills aches but it feels great, it feels like muscles instead of that deep pain.
And that is why you did it, Sounds like it's all working out. One of the hardest thing in early recovery besides patience is being able to tell the difference in soft tissue pain to any other pain. It will change and it will have odd sensations. If you are like many of us you'll get zings like little shocks and pulls inside as nerves heal and internal stitches get tested.

Happy One Month Anniversary, Michael!
Wondering how you‘re doing with a month of healing under your belt? Hopefully all is well. Please leave an update as time allows, we’d love to read about your progress.
Wishing you a happy holiday season and a new year full of blessings. :)
@Michael_00

Thanks to everyone for the well-wishes.

It has been an interesting few weeks. First off, my recovery is going incredibly well. I have transitioned off of the walker completely and no longer need any walking aides. In PT I am doing things that I struggled with before surgery with ease and am walking about a half mile a day and feel great.

Now for the interesting part. I ended up with a hematoma on hip and saw the PA when I got my zip-line removed and he said the hematoma will eventually go away on its own and be absorbs. Suffice to say that it did not reabsorb. That Sunday, the 21st, it burst in the bathroom and made quite a mess. An hour later still leaking we went to our local ER and they said, everything was fine, the fluid left. It was good and the pressure was gone. Then it came back and three days later it burst again and soaked my bed. This time we went to the ER that did my surgery since they said to come back if anything changes. In the ER they had ortho look at the hip, took X-rays and labs, everything came back normal. They said it could happen again and to keep strong compression on 24/7. That seems to have done the trick and while it started to come back a little it finally has completely been absorbed.

Again, want to end on a really good note, I have made great strides in my recovery and have been sitting and walking more than I was able to before surgery even with medications.

Hello folks. I had RTHR on Nov 17 and I appreciate reading about everyone's progress and just seeing if things I'm feeling or going through, are par for the course in my own recovery. I do at home PT as the surgeon said hip patients do not get scheduled PT. And I try not to overdo it because I realized early on after the first week that I don't gain anything by trying to work through the pain. I still get around with my walker and will try to walk around my condo for about 10 mins or so until I feel my hip stiffening then I slowly walk back up to my 2nd floor apartment and ice the area.
I am curious as to how you guys are dealing with incision scar tissue /pain / tenderness/ and if y'all have any thigh muscle spasms? I truly appreciate any input.

@Michael_00

So good to hear you are doing well (except for the mildly horrifying hematoma issues-- sorry for that).

I am at 5 weeks now and also am walking more than I have in a year. Amazing, isn't it?

Really smart to the ER quickly!!!!!!! Really good caretaking of yourself.

So many of us get so scared that we don't go to the ER, which only raises our anxiety and increases our risks because if something is going on that's troubling, we will be slow at having it addressed.

Otherwise, I'm jealous: no assistive device at basically one month?! Wow. Took me more like three months to get off the cane. Just pay attention to pain and if you overdo things (you'll feel it the day afterwards most likely) just take the next days off.

Happy Two Month Anniversary, Michael :wave:
I hope you are doing well, had a nice holiday season and you’re enjoying steady progress. Let us know how your recovery is going if you have the time. We’d love to hear.
Wishing you a happy, healthy New Year!
@Michael_00

Happy Two Month Anniversary, Michael :wave:
I hope you are doing well, had a nice holiday season and you’re enjoying steady progress. Let us know how your recovery is going if you have the time. We’d love to hear.
Wishing you a happy, healthy New Year!
@Michael_00

Thank you so much. I had an incredible holiday. I attended Christmas eve dinner and was there for over 2 and a half hours. Sitting, talking, and just enjoying myself, the strangest part was that I had to stop because my muscles were tired not due to pain. For Christmas day I somehow ended up sitting for 5 hours, with breaks for walking but no lying-in bed, with no issues the next day.

I have been walking 1.5 -2 miles a day and was able to go shopping in the mall and try-on clothes instead of ordering online. PT is going really well, still having trouble with somethings such as stairs, and ramps but am thrilled with my progress. I was actually able to move-in to my college dorm and am ready to start classes this week.

One of the most confusing parts is that I no longer am constantly thinking about every step or movement. It is very strange to get no news from the hip for hours. I guess that is what it means to finally have no pain. Thank you so much to everyone for all the support.

@Michael_00 Excellent up date! " One of the most confusing parts is that I no longer am constantly thinking about every step or movement." LOL this is the goal ... to forget you have an artificial hip! You will get there. I vividly remember the day I forgot I had "fake" hips -- about 3 months after my surgery when I was wrangling my 2 big cats into their crates for a grooming session. Got that all done and realized I had not thought of having new hips even once during the process. Now adays I don't think of them at all .... until I sign in here :heehee:

Hi and thanks for the update.
It‘s wonderful that you had an enjoyable Christmas. You’re making such nice progress, Michael. Moving back into your dorm and starting classes without the pain. It’s going to be a good year. Many blessings to you in 2022!
@Michael_00

Hello everyone,
Quick question. I'm doing great, walking between classes, doing well. I live in a dorm room and my roommate just tested positive for strep throat. My dad and I were wondering if I needed an antibiotic since I'm only 2 months post-op. We called the doctor; I was just wondering.
Thanks,
Michael

Last edited:
Periprosthetic Joint Infection would be extremely rare if originating from streptococcus ....that being said, calling the doc is exactly what I would do.

Hey Michael :wave:
Wondering how you’re doing? It’s a special day today…Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Hopefully you’re pleased with your progress and slowly getting back to life and normalcy, minus the pain. You’re young and the future looks bright. Wishing you only the best!
@Michael_00

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the well-wishes. Last week was packed with exams. As for my hip, it could not be better. It doesn't hurt anymore, it is still sore sometimes and the damp can stiffen the hip, but it always disappears in the morning. I am walking 2-3 miles a day and am able to spend the whole day out without needing to lay down in bed. I can sit through all my classes, get up walk to the library and then to class without worry. I haven't needed to take Advil or Tylenol in over a month. I honestly don't remember the last time that happened, most likely over 6 years ago when my hip first started to hurt.

My new hip has been fantastic to say the least. I no longer have to plan my day around my hip. I just can go and do stuff and then realized how much I did. No more trading off activities. Still working with PT on the last few things, such as stairs, but have been making remarkable improvements. All told, this has truly been life changing. Simply put I no longer hurt every day. Thank you to everyone for all the support!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JasminDickson