THR Schaargi Hip #2 Nov. 2

Ooooohhhh, @CricketHip, nice detective work! I had considered that, too, because the lat pain is definitely odd but I forgot about it after the inability to burp went away last Thursday. Sorry I forgot to announce that I can now burp. I meant to create a humorous post. What an odd side effect.

I will never, ever take burping for granted again. :groan: (closest I could come to a burping emoji)

The lat pain might be somehow related.... I can feel it when I take a deep breath so that makes sense. I will pay attention to that tonight.

Thanks!

@CricketHip you were right! I investigated a little more last night and the trapped gas theory made sense (surprise-- I didn't know it would hurt my back, even up toward my shoulder). So I called my surgeon's office and the Nurse Practitioner agreed. Told me the remedy is to keep walking, which I am already doing.

The good news is, she gave me permission to sleep on my side with a pillow between my knees! Yay! I have hope now that I will survive this ordeal! Hallelujah!

I’m so glad we got it figured out. Pains like that seem so random, but there’s usually an explanation.
Happy walking!

As Day 8 comes to a close I want to summarize how my recovery has gone so far so that I can have something to look back on.

As of today, I am still taking Celebrex, Tylenol, Tramadol, aspirin (for blood clots) and Oxycodone. I have started weaning off the Oxycodone and, after I feel comfortable, I will work on cutting down the Tramadol.

I have been walking every hour, doing the light bed exercises, elevating and icing religiously. My surgeon has me on forearm crutches, alternating my arms with my steps as though walking naturally. I do many mini-walks and one longer walk per day, and I'm up to a longer walk of about 20 minutes. I'm barely leaning on the crutches now, but will use them to perfect my gait.

I had a few aches and pains that popped up--the inability to burp (now resolved), a sharp pain back by my shoulder blade that seems to be trapped gas (not resolved yet), and an intense, searing pain as though someone were holding a hot iron against my skin (becoming less frequent and intense as of today).

This recovery is so much easier than my last one, a year and a half ago. My first hip is still recovering, and I think this hip will pass it up. It will feel good to be able to do something without limping.

Day 8 in the books! I shall now go to bed and sleep on my side (the NP gave me permission to do so with a pillow).

Good night!

Hope you had a good night sleep! I wish we did the arm crutches here, as I struggle, with the 2 wheel rollater. I can do 20 minutes, but it’s not enjoyable. Happy, the pain is less severe for you! Onto a new day and more recovery!

Yay! I slept well last night on my side.

But here's proof that energy drain is real, even after a good night's sleep:

I was in the middle of doing my bed exercises (butt clenches, heel slides, etc.) and suddenly... I ... woke ....up. Sheesh! I dozed off doing my exercises! And I thought I couldn't sleep on my back! :zzz:

Day 9 almost done.

So glad to hear that you are improving and able to get some sleep. Best wishes for the holidays and continued healing.

Day 10 coming to a close...

For the last week, I have been backing off some of the pain meds. I decreased the oxycodone down to 2 per day, and then one per day. I dropped the Celebrex. Then I dropped the Tramadol down from 3 per day to 2 per day and I think my body said, "Nope!" I woke up with incision pain that hasn't gone away all day, so I will take 3 Tramadol today and see how I feel in the morning. The problem is that the doctor can only prescribe 3 days' worth, so I have to keep calling for refills. Annoying but it can't be helped.

Aside from the slight increase in pain this morning, things are going well.

Doing mini inside walks, bed exercises and icing elevating several times a day. I have been walking once a day outside with my mom. She's 89, faster than I am and has more stamina, but it's good for both of us and I will eventually catch up. :walking:

I can dress myself now, except for putting a sock on my surgical foot. Although it doesn't matter in the long run, I'm glad to have had the anterior approach because the 90 degree restriction would drive me batty!

I'm glad to have had the anterior approach because the 90 degree restriction would drive me batty!
Just a note for members who are awaiting surgery - the 90 degree restriction is quickly becoming a thing of the past. Most surgeons no longer impose any restrictions.

@Schaargi sounds like your recovery is going very well. Slow and steady is the best approach.

Last edited:
Glad to hear you are making a good recovery and that it’s less traumatic than your experience with the other hip.

Day 11 almost done...

I ventured out of the neighborhood today! My husband took me to the crafting store. Saw the new holiday items coming in and the Halloween stuff on clearance. Found out I can't bend down far enough to reach the bottom clearance bins. :rotfl:

Day 12...

Woke up a bit stiff this morning and am also tired, so I think I overdid it a bit yesterday. So I'm backing off a bit today. Tomorrow is my first day of physical therapy. I will be happy to see my PT. I'm sure she's interested in how this surgery went, and I can't wait for her to see how well I'm doing.

On a funny note, I told my husband last night that I couldn't remember waking up from the anesthesia or much that happened until we got home. He told me that when he walked into the room, I told him that the hospital staff had brought me a yummy pulled pork sandwich. He realized I was delusional when a nurse brought in a small cup of ice and a couple of crackers. Ha! No idea where that pulled pork sandwich hallucination came from. Honestly, I can't remember the last time I had one or even thought of it. :shrug:

Day 13

I think I have shaken the feeling that I overdid it on Saturday-- everything is A-OK today.

Met with my physical therapist. She mostly did measuring and testing-- How does this feel? What happens when you do this? Have you tried ____ yet?

She noticed that I'm putting a lot of my weight on my surgical leg, which seems odd. We both concluded that it's a carryover from my other leg being unreliable for over a year and I just haven't shaken the habit. Glad I went to PT because I would have no idea I was doing that. Now I can fix it!

She said I can ditch the crutches and go to a cane. I might use the crutches if I'm going to be on unfamiliar terrain.

Feels pretty good today, but not enough to cut down on the meds yet. Maybe in a couple of days.

Whoop, whoop!:egypdance:

Now your reminder...easy does it, slow and steady, don't get froggy.:froggies:

:heehee:
Hope the rest of your week is sweet, friend.:SUNsmile:

Happy Two Week Anniversary, Schaargi!

I read elsewhere that your sister is preparing for her THR, posterior approach and you were wondering about restrictions as you experienced anterior. I’ll weigh in that my THR was posterior and I didn’t have any restrictions at all. I was only cautioned to move mindfully, and slowly and if anything hurt, STOP.

Hope you’re having a good week! Are you excited for the holidays this year? They are fast approaching for sure!
@Schaargi

Thanks @Layla!

Yes, the whole restriction thing seems to boggle people. I appreciate you telling me about your posterior approach. That's good to know, as it open up my sister's options. My first THR with its complications made her gun shy. Like me, forward bends (hanging your head down) are very relaxing to her and 6-12 weeks without them would be rough. It's good to know that it varies by surgeon. She is in San Diego and is starting to shop for a surgeon, so if anyone out there knows of someone...

It's a good week. I just went on a 10-minute walk with--wait for it-- a little hill! Success!

Last edited:
@Schaargi, I think it also has to do with which new hip you get. Both my sister and I had posterior surgeries, and she had no restrictions while I have (grrrr!) a bunch of them. But she got the dual mobility implant and I didn't. Maybe your sister ought to ask about that.

@subie2021

That's funny that you and your sister are both hippies! (Well, not funny really, but you know what I mean).

From what I've found out, there are a handful of surgeons who do posterior approach THR without restrictions, even with a typical implant. What made your sister get one?

I thought there were fewer restrictions with the anterior approach, but my (limited) research shows it's all about the surgeon. My first surgeon was a stickler and my second one is more relaxed.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member