THR or HR

Status
Not open for further replies.

eiger

Evening folks
Sorry if this post hijacks or redirects the current one but can't seem to find any other suitable.
I'm in the Uk and am 47 yrs and reasonably fit with an active lifestyle which includes motorcycle trials and enduro competitions and mountain biking.
I've had the cortisone injections but the last one was pointless as it failed to help and last week I spoke with my consultant who told me I was in need of a total hip replacement and after that I would have to stop competing in any off road cycle or mororcycle activity.
My Aunt lives in Spain and had a resurfacing op some years ago as despite the joint being worn her bone structure was strong as mine is (so I'm told) and she was informed that she could resume her previously active life which would not have been the case if she had the total joint replacement.
I asked my consultant if I could opt for resurfacing but was told that the hospital only perform the total op and I would have to go elsewhere if I wanted the resurfacing option.
Should I accept the full replacement or push for the resurfacing?
Thanks in anticipation.
Pete

Pete, I moved your post into a thread of it's own so you would get your own conversation going.

First question is, where abouts in the UK do you live? If you can give me just a city or town, I could probably direct you to a place that specializes in resurfacing. There aren't too many hospitals that do resurfacing so they tend to be in certain centres.

Actually, your surgeon is somewhat off track with his advice and it would be one good reason that I wouldn't want him to do my hip!

We have many members here who have returned to all sorts of sporting activities and there is certainly no need to curtail yours. It's a very old idea and very out of date.

Have you read in the Library regarding implant longevity? Modern prostheses are pretty good and since even those put in as far back as the 80s are still going strong, we can only imagine how long the current editions will last with all the advancements in metallurgy, biomechanics and surgical techniques. So don't be put off by one surgeon's Eeyore attitude!

Oh yes, and welcome to BoneSmart!

Hi, Pete!!! Welcome to BoneSmart. I'm so glad you joined us!

Pete,

I was in a very similar situation, my first ortho suggested that I "look elsewhere" when I mentioned the resurfacing option because he had never done one. Best advice I ever received. I did a little online research, made two consulting appointments with doctors who did both THR and HR at two of the best medical facilities in the Washington DC area (John Hopkins and Union Memorial).

They both recommended a HR vs a THR for me based upon my solid bone structure, isolated arthritis, age and active lifestyle. 18+ months post op and while I don't do anything as "active" as motocross (I drive off-road on four wheels), I can do anything with the HR I could do with my other natural hip which is completely free of arthritis.

Good luck.

Welcome

I had a conversation with my surgeon about HR as it sounded much more appealing to me. Well it was not right for me. I have bone density issues. As it is my femur cracked in surgery.

So it has been 2 years now since my right hip replacement. I'm pretty active, my surgeon approves of anything except running. That has too much impact. I have done a little just to see what it would be like and it is fine.

go out and find a doc that does HR and see if it is right for you. Good Luck with it all
judy

Hi Josephine (Mother Hen!) Jamie, Mudpro and Judy S
Many thanks for your replies.
I live in the High Peak area in Derbyshire and my consultant is based at Stepping Hospital in Stockport, he did my Dad's knees and is well thought of.
I went to him initially for a private consultation after my GP told me I was too young for surgery of any kind and I should get on with things.
I struggle to sleep well as the pain varies from mild to quite severe depending on the day, weather, mood I'm in, whether my wife has made me do the ironing and washing! and other factors.
I've tried medication with mixed results and am getting to my wits end.
I'm 47 and still very active riding a mountain bike most days and also competing in off road motorcycle competitions which I want to do as long as possible as I can still just beat my 20 yr old son which really annoys him!
There is so much information availabe and it's hard to find threads/topics which directly relate with my lack of technical knowledge!
I'm alsoclose to Macclesfield and about 20 miles from Manchester city centre so probably many other viable locations within reach.
Thanks in anticipation - off to finish the ironing now!
Regards
Pete

Wow, Pete....a man that irons!!!! You are a treasure!

Don't let any of these doctors tell you you're too young for surgery. Life is to be enjoyed and savored...not spent in pain waiting for some magic date when you're finally old enough for relief!!! If this is what you're hearing, keep searching for a more enlightened surgeon. They are out there. Josephine can help you, since you're in Great Britain.

Here's hoping you can find a great doctor soon and get going. You have a life to live!!

Okay - I've checked you out on Google maps and find you are only 40 miles from the Wrightington Hospital at Appley Bridge, Wigan. I know there are at least two surgeons there who do resurfacing, Tim Board and Anil Gambhir.

In case you don't know, Wrightington was the brain child of John Charnley who not only built the hospital up from a collection of almost derelict post-war buildings but then went on the devise the original hip replacement! In other words, it has a great history and, in medical circles, a world wide reputation bar none!

I suggest you go back to your GP and politely but firmly ask him to refer you to one of these two. If he puts up any argument remind him that a) you have a right to a further opinion and b) the law now allows you to go to any hospital in the UK you desire. Only rub is that your PCT has to agree to fund it! But given the new law (Jan 2010), they cannot really refuse.

Josephine
Thanks very much for your help and advice, I'll go and speak with my GP as you suggest.
I'll look at the library section too as you mentioned earlier as to be honest I'm still unsure whether I should be having resurfacing or a total replacement.
My main concerns are that I would no longer be able to compete in off road motorcycle sport or ride my mountain bike which I have been told I'd have to stop doing following a THR.
Also I have been advised that I'd have to change my job role as I'm currently an operational Police officer and as the role can sometimes be physically demanding I'd have to consider a less challenging position. And as I still very much enjoy my job (most of the time!) I would like to remain operational as long as possible.
Thanks again.
Regards
Peter

I cannot see any reason why you should not continue with your present job, given a problem-free recovery. We had a member called Sofa King who is a police officer in the States and is still doing his job after having a THR about two years ago. I still speak to him on FB and he's is doing wonderfully well. No problems at work at all.

You could also visit somewhere else which is a site dedicated solely to resurfacing - a bit too promotional for my tastes so I'd caution you to not take everything they say as verbatim - but I think you'll find enough positive feedback there to help you decide. They have a forum and a website.

eiger said:
My main concerns are that I would no longer be able to compete in off road motorcycle sport or ride my mountain bike which I have been told I'd have to stop doing following a THR.
Also I have been advised that I'd have to change my job role as I'm currently an operational Police officer and as the role can sometimes be physically demanding I'd have to consider a less challenging position.
I already commented on this but I'll repeat my comments for you
Josephine said:
Actually, your surgeon is somewhat off track with his advice and it would be one good reason that I wouldn't want him to do my hip!

We have many members here who have returned to all sorts of sporting activities and there is certainly no need to curtail yours. It's a very old idea and very out of date.

Have you read in the Library regarding implant longevity? Modern prostheses are pretty good and since even those put in as far back as the 80s are still going strong, we can only imagine how long the current editions will last with all the advancements in metallurgy, biomechanics and surgical techniques. So don't be put off by one surgeon's Eeyore attitude!

I think you'll find the surgeons at the Wrightington have a very different approach! :thmb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom