TKR My Journey

Barbara, I actually use rice cold packs that don’t sweat and they’re soft fabric that wrap really nicely around the knee.

I just rubbed some essential oil on the zinger spot. It’s driving me crazy it hurts so bad.

A bit cooler and less humid this morning so I tended to my yard. Mowed and used the weed eater. Now down with a cup of coffee and ice to determine if I have any energy left to do some weeding. At least weeding I’m sitting down!

Still have muscle spasms and zingers plus my right foot has started cramping during the night. Alas, I keep trudging forward!

Basically sounds good! Zingers continue for me, as well. Right ankle painful during the night :tantrum:.
Happy 4th if July!

Finally a day when I could get out and do some weeding. The temperature was much cooler and I worked in the shade sitting on a chair. The knees got a pretty good workout getting up and down from the chair. I’m now enjoying a glass of ice water with my legs up and ice on both knees.

11weeks … hard to believe it was soooooo long ago! I feel I continue to improve a bit each day with endurance and flexibility. I still have occasional muscle spasms, swelling, and the beloved zingers! I am independent but respect the “you’ve done enough” messages my knee sends.

I see my OS later this month and plan to begin the journey with my left knee which has become more painful now that it’s relearning how to function with a partner carrying her share of the load. The left knee suffered an injury in 2012 when I slipped from a ladder (duh) and I’ve requested the ER records to have them available when I see my OS as I actually don’t remember what the injury actually was just that I wore an immobilizer brace and used crutches for three weeks.

Overall, I’m pleased with my new knee and am so grateful I found this site. Many, many times I have put my anxious mind at ease when I found out what I was worried about was something experienced by someone else and not something to stress over.

Sue, great positive report! You will be so much more prepared for the next knee!

You are coming along so well, getting back to doing some of the normal things in life. That always feels so good!

When I had my TKR, I was a cat rescuer and I had 13 of them at that time. Most of them were inside kitties, though some ventured out through the pet door. I found that a squirt bottle with water sprayed in their faces kept them away from my leg, as did the walker. They were afraid of that thing! The only mishap I had was when my lap-cat big boy jumped up on me right on my knee. I screamed, it hurt so badly. He did not jump on me anymore until I told him it was OK and put him on my lap again.

Those of us who have pets counting on us have a reason to get well and back to caring for our fur babies. I know just feeding, watering, and cleaning out the litter boxes gave me lots of exercise, so much that I never needed to go to PT!

ouch @sistersinhim! my lapcat big boy one and only is still a bit depressed by all the changes....he hides under a sofa most of the day, but today he seems to spend more time with me. he is a mama's boy and has found these first weeks very hard.

@FourCats I am slowly learning to hear those "enough!" messages. Glad you have obvious progress happening as you head into week 12. Ever onward!

Knee is miserable today. I didn’t do anything out of the ordinary yesterday so I’m wondering if I turned or twisted during the night and upset it. Oh, well, just a wee bump in the road!

Could be. But sometimes there is really no traceable explanation. Just part of the tkr adventure. :console2:

Three months. I see my surgeon on Tuesday and am making my list of questions and concerns. Some weird sensations and clunking have been pretty frequent. I still do my exercises and walking every day. I had houseguests for a couple of days and did not rest the leg as much as I usually do. Interesting that the surgical leg only had a wee bit of swelling but my other leg and foot were extremely puffy. I’m resting and icing today in hope that the swelling will go down. I’m still planning to talk with him about having the left knee done soon.

FourCats, I had mine done 8 weeks apart and have never regretted it!
I still get zingers, strange sudden sharp pains now and then - I know it’s just all part of the healing. Let us know how your doc’s visit goes.

Three month follow up with surgeon this morning. Actually looking forward to his thoughts on my recovery so far as I feel I am doing very well. Will also begin the conversation on having the other knee replaced.

My surgeon was extremely pleased with my progress. He answered all my concerns (numbness, swelling, stiffness, clunking) with the same answer I have heard here … yep, it’s a yearlong recovery! We did agree that the left knee pain might be hindering my progress a bit so we talked about the issues and are starting treatment. I had a steroid injection yesterday and he has ordered the Orthovisc injection series which should begin in a week or two. The knee is only stage 2 so Medicare requires jumping through all the hoops before approving a replacement. He is optimistic that the injections might actually help because this knee is not as advanced as the right.

I am very pleased with his report and with Iggy, my new knee!

Great report @FourCats ! Sounds like you are right on track.

Gosh, they really make you go through so much to get that second knee treated. I would think those injections are pretty expensive. I'm surprised Medicare allows that additional expense. Fingers crossed the injections do the job! :fingersx:

Great progress report, FourCats! I love that you e named your new knee! (Iggy was the name of my friend’s iguana that I babysat for 1 1/2 years back when my daughter was 5!) My old new knee also didn’t appreciate all the extra work while I had to wait for 5 years to get the new baby knee fixed! But it’s happier now.

It’s named after St. Ignatius who had a cannonball tear through his right knee and underwent treatment without the benefit of anesthesia or pain meds!

Often the "good" knee acts up after tkr because it's taking on more of the work as your operated leg heals.

It’s the eve of my 62nd birthday and I’m questioning if it was worth it. The pain, physical, emotional, and spiritual…it’s almost four months and I’m tired. And before everyone starts in with the “you’re early in your recovery“ and “it’s a year plus recovery”, I think I made a mistake having my knee replaced. I would have been better off letting nature take its course and surrendering to a long term care facility. I am trying to take care of my home alone and am failing. I am trying to take care of myself and am failing.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back