THR Edie’s Slow & Steady Recovery

EdiePA

Country
United States United States
Surgery went well — left anterior total hip. It was supposed to be same day surgery, but I spent one night in the hospital, due to my late arrival on the surgical floor, nausea and difficulty immediately post-op getting my pain controlled. Who knew that fentanyl did nothing for me? Also, I received general anesthesia — my surgeon likes to do nerve conduction tests while operating to be sure no nerve damage has occurred.

Pain at home is easily controlled with oxycodone 5mg about four times a day. Biggest problem is ‘log’ leg and getting it back on the couch after a stroll behind my walker. Amazon should be delivering a leg lifter to help with that tomorrow.

Such a relief to be on the healing side!

Edie

@EdiePA Welcome to the other side. Slow and steady now. That hip is in charge.

I'll leave your guidelines here for you:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Heads up: I used a belt as my leg lifter in those first weeks to deal with the log leg. That can tide you over til the official device arrives.

Heads up: I used a belt as my leg lifter in those first weeks to deal with the log leg. That can tide you over til the official device arrives.

Thanks! We used my sock aid and I was able to lift it that way. Took a very short walk outside today and that felt great! Fresh air is its own medicine.

@EdiePA sounds like you have it under control. I love that you used the sock aid to help move your leg, I'll have to keep that in mind! :yes!:

New thread title, please: Edie’s Slow & Steady Recovery

Day 19 Post-Op — Staples we’re removed last Thursday (four days ago) and with that pressure gone, I promptly did two days of too much walking, which I paid for yesterday with swelling and pain. So, back to four time a day ice packs and Tylenol extra strength. Eventually, I’ll learn.

Doctor was pleased with my progress. He said no need for PT at this time and my gait with my cane is good with only a trace of a limp.

Onward,
Edie

Great news, Edie!
Your thread title we be changed soon.
Thanks for sharing an update. Sadly, it takes overdoing it sometimes early on to learn our limitations. I’ll bet you were happy to receive reassurance from your surgeon that you’re making good progress. Keep it up! :yes!:
@EdiePA

Three and a half weeks post op now. Feel like my abductor muscles are barely firing. Too early or is this a problem? Surgeon doesn’t want me to go to PT, just walking. 1 and 1/2 mile walk (with my cane) today with some swelling. Thanks!

4 weeks, still early on for muscles. Chances are they are not happy if you're getting swelling. Icing was still my best friend at 4 weeks and beyond. I found that distance, speed and steps was not as important as taking my time and walking properly. When I measured distance I got sloppy, tired and hurt more. Your OS is like mine, did not recommend PT, in his words "they'll hurt you".

@EdiePA Yes, it's fairly early in your recovery to be worrying about specific muscles not working right.
Your body didn't get in the shape it's in overnight, There's a good bit of atrophy and deterioration going on as we grind towards our joint replacement. Sad, but true!
Currently your body is healing and walking is a great way to begin your strengthening.
I think walking 1.5 miles at 4 weeks post op is pretty strenuous though. Just do what you can and what feels good. You will be so surprised at the natural progress made in the next 4 weeks.

Hang in there, you sound like you are doing well!!:friends:

Hello Edie,
I agree that walking the distance you are, with a cane, feels a bit ambitious at this point.
Hopefully you’re icing afterward in an effort to ease the swelling. I wonder if you would handle two shorter walks better, as opposed to one long one. May be worth considering.
Still early days, but it seems you’re doing well. I hope you have a great week. :)
@EdiePA

I am just a couple days earlier than you.

Just as a perspective, my surgeon also has lofty goals for walking by 4 weeks but my PT is more conservative and has placed limits on me. If my hip swells after walking and lasts for more than 24 hours, she said to just stop. I need to dial it back and not add more distance until I can do it without swelling and using a proper gait. She advocates that short bursts of walking, concentrating on a normal gait are way more important than one long walk especially if you get tired and your gait starts to deteriorate because then you are creating bad muscle memory that will take longer to correct than if you do short periods correctly.

Everyone's surgeons/PTs are different, so thought I would give you another surgeon's instructions to ponder. Good luck!

Happy One Month Anniversary, Edie :wave:
Hopefully you’ve had a good week and enjoy a perfect weekend!
@EdiePA

Sounds like you have a rare PT, one with common sense and understanding about THR's. I don't know about "bursts" but the short walks using proper form is definitely what worked for me.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562