Hip Infection* Life After SCaprae

Things are looking good (but not w/o discomfort) for Cookie. She is staying in a local area hospital (equipped w/ a swing bed) for extensive physical therapy post surgery. The incision is closing nicely with no signs of infection (the best news). While there is a lot of recovery yet to achieve: progress is being made.
I’ve been retired for a month & it agrees w/me. Making progress on all of the “projects” on “the list” and doing/feeling the best that I have since my last bout w/ my favorite orthopedic provider. Problematic pain and limping have been “banished” with a less rigorous (ladders and stairs at work) schedule & am even able to stand from a kneeling position with less of a struggle each day. Life is good!!

All good news! So happy to hear it. I hope Cookie’s recovery continues to go well as you enjoy the Summer and retirement. Happy Tuesday!
@SCaprae

Hey there @SCaprae
Just noticed you recently celebrated three years since your revision...Congrats on that!
Wondering about the latest date in your signature? The May 19, 2021 date. It appears that was a surgery date for, Cookie, not you. Wondering how she’s doing in her latest recovery? I hope things are looking up for her and she’s on her way back to happy and healthy.

Have a great weekend….well at least a nice Saturday. Sunday may be a washout, but we desperately need the rain!

Cookie is progressing post surgery (able to use a walker during PT, but not yet bearing weight on the prosthetic). Experiencing substantial pain (after being confined to bed rest for over a year) as mustles are asked to resume use. This will be a long road. The good part is: no sign of infection!!
For those who have not considered looking into long term care insurance (I am 1), look into it!! Medicare & supplemental only cover until “maximum medical improvement “ is achieved and then they STOP payment. The bills them become your responsibility ( big bills that grow rapidly and do not cease). Much progress has been made, though there is still a long way to go. Keeping the faith.

Such great news! Sorry to hear about the pain part, but so encouraging there is no sign of infection. Thanks for your tip on long term care insurance. I’m sure your recommendation will benefit someone reading here.

I removed Cookie’s date from your signature, not quite sure how that happened. :what:
Have a nice Sunday and a good week!
@SCaprae

Have been retired for 2 months (almost) & it agrees w/me. Have been staying very busy, the change of pace has been beneficial to my right hip (realized that I’ve been doctoring/limping for the past 10 years) as I am mostly pain free. Also have regained strength and am more easily able to rise from a kneeling position (though I still look for a nearby handhold). Ruby has adjusted quite well to my new schedule, is never far away.
image.jpg

Aaah, the Man Cave, probably one of your favorite places these days and I’m sure Ruby’s favorite place is wherever you are. Great news your right hip is now pain free.
Life is good….Enjoy! :)
@SCaprae

Hi @SCaprae :wave:
So good to hear you are doing well after all of your struggles:egypdance:
I am sure that is super inspiring to Cookie also.... I cant imagine how hard it must be to stay positive after going through such tough times.
I know she has along journey back to healthy but hope all contines to improve.
Bet Ruby is glad you are home more :dogwalk:

Hey @SCaprae
Just thought of Cookie today as I passed your thread trying to locate another. It looks
like she may be approx three months post op now? Wondering how she’s doing? Would love to hear things are progressing well for her after all she’s been through. Sure hope so!
I also hope you’re doing well and enjoying the Summer. :SUNsmile:

Today is a “Red Letter” day for Cookie. She was cleared to bear 25% weight and begin PT on her new right hip!! The delay was to allow healing/anchoring time(osteoporosis) before beginning the long road to recovery. He husband indicated that he hasn’t seen her the happy in over a year. Yeah Cookie!!!

Getting ready to head to Bear Camp in the morning. Three tags for our group ( Cookie’s husband will be up next Tuesday, my cousin and another friend), I am in a support capacity (had a tag last year, will be another 2-3 before I can expect another) only, but am looking forward to time in the woods. No electricity, cell service and haul water & all supplies into the shack.

Yay, Cookie is right! :yay: Such fantastic news for you and your friends, Cookie, and her husband. It’s been such a very long journey for her and to read that her husband hasn’t seen her that happy in over a year is wonderful news.

Good luck bear hunting. Time away from the trappings and current affairs of the real world sounds peaceful. Stay safe and enjoy!
@SCaprae

Had a good visit w/ Cookie & her husband, they were out for a drive and stopped after visiting a local orchard. She is bearing 75% weight on new parts w/o pain even though the other side is due to be done next ( not looking forward to it, but necessary) and is now her major complaint/source of pain. Her husband and I are going to look at a van w/ an assist chair on the passenger side ( swivels & extends out and down for easier entry/exit). All in all “Great News”.
Bear hunt was a success, 2 tags filled & the third decided to only take pictures. My time in the woods as the support crew was very enjoyable as well.

:wave:
Glad you had a good hunt and so nice to hear that Cookie is on the mend.
I certainly understand how everyone would be anxious about hip #2:nah:

Hope the rest of your week is hip happy @SCaprae :happydance:

What wonderful news regarding, Cookie! So encouraging to read of her progress.
I certainly can’t blame her, or her husband, for any apprehension they’re feeling regarding her upcoming THR. Prayers that next time it‘s smooth sailing all the way through.

Good to hear your trip up North hunting was a success and that you enjoyed your time away from civilization….in the deep, dark, scary woods, lol.
Hopefully all continues to go well with you. Have a great Autumn! :wave:
@SCaprae

Visited w/ Cookie, her husband & all is not “roses & sunshine”. She has reached a plateau of sorts w/physical therapy. The replaced hip is well placed, healing nicely w/o pain. The remaining “original equipment” side is another story: so painful that it had brought PT to a halt. Tentatively replacement was scheduled for after the New Year & they wanted to move that forward if possible. Presently she is experiencing severe pain at that location & went in to see what her Surgeon had to say: Labs indicated elevated levels (possible infection) and fluid buildup at her left hip / surgery postponed, extraction of fluid for culture scheduled, not able to receive any more pain meds ( Mayo cannot prescribe (not under direct care/hospitalized), her normal care provider is reluctant/scared to prescribe more, ER visits have been of no help (building a packet/history of visits), constant severe pain. They are at “wits end”.

How sad and unfortunate. I’m sorry to read this news. Your friend and her husband need a break. Hopefully there is no infection.
Aside from the sympathy you’re feeling for, Cookie, I hope you‘re doing well and enjoying the beauty of the season.
@SCaprae

It’s been a while (spent November in Green Valley Az) since my last post.
My friend Cookie is presently in Surgery (number 9 in 2 years on her right hip). She developed a systemic infection/cyst on top of all else she’s endured. Unsure if the most recent prosthesis will remain in place, Surgeons will let her husband know post-op. The only good news is she went in before sepsis took over.

Hi there,
What a nice long vacation in AZ, hope you enjoyed. I’m so sorry to read the news about your friend, Cookie. It’s simply heartbreaking she continues to struggle with her hip. It seemed as though things were looking up for awhile. Thankfully this latest bout was discovered and addressed. I would imagine, Cookie, and her husband are feeling pretty discouraged and worn down by all of this. I really wish she’d consider coming here for support.

Thankfully things must be going well for you. I would imagine Cookie‘s situation stirs up unpleasant memories and some sadness as you watch your friends struggle through all of this. Prayers for perfect healing for Cookie this time around and for her husband as her caregiver. :prayer: Stay in touch and let us know how she’s doing and if you’re comfortable with trying to get her to come here for support and encouragement, we’d love to have her.
Wishing you a happy, healthy holiday season!
@SCaprae

Hello old BoneSmart friend :wave:I can’t believe it’s coming up on four years soon since your revision. Time flies! Hopefully all is well and you’re holding thoughts of warmer weather, blue skies, green grass and fishing. Spring and Summer are on the way. I hope things are looking up for your friend, Cookie. The road has been long and rough and I’m quite sure it takes an emotional toll on you as she is a very close friend.

Wishing you a safe, happy, healthy March!
@SCaprae

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member