PKR IRONGIRL PKR 5 months after

Irongirl56

Staff member since May 25, 2022
BoneSmart Staff
Country
United States United States
Hi all, I had my PKR Right medial done yesterday about 1130 in an outpatient setting, home by 630 pm. so far so good, last nite was a continuous doze with my ice machine and compression machine. This center doesn’t bring in PT, OT or anyone else. As I said previously as soon as I can eat, drink and pee I was out the door. As this isnt my first rodeo i was ok with that. I elevated with ice machine and compression machine all nite long in my bed. Only issue i really had was very bad dry mouth, typically from the Scopalamine patch which I can wear for 3 days. I have never really taken any narcotics past one dose for my last 3 surgeries so a little Leary on how they will make me feel.
Seems to all have gone well but the surgeon never came it to say as I was pretty out of it for few hours afterward.
This particular OS uses a General anesthesia along with paralytics so I certainly didn’t feel a thing!

Preop I was give an antibiotic, a Norco, a tylenol and Celebrex before even getting prepped. Then they gave me some versed and fentany and a nerve block before taking me into the OR. I have never had so many drugs at once but needless to say I not feeling any pain as of yet!
They also gave me phenergan, zofran and a scopolamine patch so I shouldn’t be nauseous anytime soon either. As of this morning, up at 6 am for coffee and still pretty pain free but not sure for how much longer. Anyone have experience with a nerve block and timeline for when they wear off. I am at hour 18 since it was place.

I will be taking my Norco on schedule to day just to sure I am medicated before block wears off. I have a bulky dressing with the ice machine pad wrapped into so I can feel the cold. I am still pretty loopy from all the drugs but able to type and drink coffee ok.
I will be doing PT but didn’t schedule my first visit until 2 weeks out.
I am using a walker when needed and crutches for the stairs and that is working well. I have a small split level house so stairs are used to get to any bathroom or bedroom but going up and down is ok with crutches.
Hoping this surgery will help me get active again. Maybe not doing a full Ironman but definitely continues to race.
Always appreciate everyone’s words of wisdom on this site. I felt very prepared for everything pre and post op.

:welome: to the recovery side. Your personal copy:-

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:

There are also some cautionary articles here

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Glad all is going well. Keep us posted!

What a great first report! Very sensible and a take it easy tone.

Waiting 2 weeks to go to PT is a very good idea. I was sent home about 36 hours post op and had to go to out patient PT 48 hours after surgery, while I was still in the “what hit me” state of mind and body. That certainly won’t be happening next time!

Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.

Which partial did you get? I’ll add that to your signature. :flwrysmile:

I had a Right medial PKR. this was the plan going in unless he saw other stuff going in there. All else must have looked Ok.

Thanks, I’ll add that to your signature. I have a Patellofemoral.

@Irongirl56 I had the ON-Q nerve block and it lasted about 3 days. You’ll feel it when it wears off so stay on top of your pain meds. It sounds like you are doing great and will be back to working out soon!
Take care.

I had the same surgery at 8am this morning! Home by 2:30 with my ice machine and elevating. I had an adductor canal block as well but mine seems to be wearing off quickly going to start my Norco now, wish me luck!

I had the same surgery at 8am this morning! Home by 2:30 with my ice machine and elevating. I had an adductor canal block as well but mine seems to be wearing off quickly going to start my Norco now, wish me luck!
I am almost 24 hrs out from the nerve block time and I believe the honeymoon is over. Starting to feel all kinds of interesting pain. Believe norco will be a friend for a while!

:console2:Ice is a good pain reliever, and remember, only gentle movements, don’t do any exercises that hurt. Short walks every hour or two that you are awake are all the exercise you need right now. Elevation is good, also, but may be uncomfortable at times, change your position as needed.

Post op day 2 for me. Moving pretty well but have lots of pain in upper calf area. Reminds me of my bakers cyst pain and primarily hurts when try to wt bear. Kind of a sharp pain.
because I still have a huge bulky dressing until tomorrow I cant really assess and hope like heck it is not DVT.
Spent a lot of time in ice, compression and CPM machine but with this dressing it is hard to do any bending as it is so thick.
Pain wise the only thing that hurts is the calf area. I am using NORCO every 6-12 hrs or so, ie first thing in morning and then before bed. And added some tylenol this afternoon. Also on Celebrex. Primarily using crutches as the walker is not feasible in my house as i have so many stairs to navigate.
Any one else have this type of calf pain post op?

Hi Irongirl56 i had the same op back in April although i have not added my other knee operations to my thread i had three key hole operations on my right Medial Meniscus. but unfortunately these were not as successful as i would have liked my ops were in 2016/ 2018. and 2019. I am in my eighth week of recovery and not doing to bad it is a slow process i have just managed to walk 2 miles in one day this did result in pain and stiffness but each week i see little improvements. I hope you recover well.

Howdy @Irongirl56

I‘m 6 weeks out tomorrow and have really had a hard time with calf, quad, upper thigh, glutes pain. My IT band has been pretty tight, too. I don‘t remember this much discomfort with Knee #1.

I got a massage a couple of days ago and have been using a roller regularly, which seems to help. Maybe give it a try and see if that helps.

Take care.

@ihavetwins, I will try the roller. My quads are a bit sore as well. This is day 4 post op and the honeymoon is definitely over. Painful nite despite pain meds. Walking with one crutch ok but can’t get much of any kind of flex. Only 50 degrees on the CPM. Taking it slow as advised by everyone.
feeling pretty nauseous today, don’t have much of an appetite either. Felt pretty good yesterday so may have over done it with too much moving around the house. Hard not too.

GA, a roller can be something as simple as a kitchen rolling pin, or you can buy a more sophisticated one that you can freeze off of Amazon.

Day 5 post op and no longer having any fun! I am extremely nauseous and lite headed most of the time. I stopped the Norco thinking that was the cause. last nite was rough to sleep, the restless leg thing was insane. Took some extra magnesium and finally some NyQuil. seems the NyQuil knocked me out for a few hours at least. Still nauseous today and no appetite at all. Hard to get anything down. Using my ice compression machine and CPM alternating. walking with one crutch around house and sometimes use nothing for short steps like in the kitchen. No problems there. backed the CPM off to 45 again as 50 seemed too painful. Feeling pretty housebound and because I am so nauseous can’t do anything but stare at the tv or into space. Had visions of being able to read a good book.

Pain meds I have been taking the celebrex 2 x day as prescribed, my daily aspirin and occasional 1000mg Tylenol. I am a bit confused on how to take all this for pain management as not sure how much to space out the Celebrex and the tylenol if at all? I took all 3 meds this morning within 2 hrs of each other and seemed ok and will take NyQuil or Tylenol before bed again. Just wish this nausea would go away, feels like a 3 day hang over.

I am sorry about the nausea. I can relate to that. I took the narcotic pain meds for 3 weeks after my TKR, then quit all meds because not only did I have nausea, but gas pains, constipation and then diarrhea after taking something for the constipation.
You, being 5 days post op, are so early in your recovery, you likely need the appropriate pain meds. Someone on here may be able to advise you. You could also ask your dr. for a prescription to a good anti-nausea medication.
Be careful walking around since you're a bit light-headed. Feel better soon.
P.S. ~ I forgot to mention that it took 2 more weeks after I quit the pain meds to feel better.

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member