THR Woohoo! Let the healing begin!!

One month (+ some days) update: can’t believe I missed posting on the one month mark but I think it’s because life gets busy as you get further into recovery. I’m still walking with one crutch, much faster than before but I limp without it so I’ll keep using it. I will probably need to request physio at my next check up since I limped so long prior to surgery I think my brain hasn’t figured out that my hip is fixed. I’m much more active everyday - able to close at least two rings on my Apple Watch most days. I can mostly independently care for the little ones now, the only thing I can’t do is carry my daughter when she’s sleeping because of the crutch. I’m taking 2 Tylenol 3 times a day, have had to take the occasional Tramadol on a few nights. Still icing multiple times a day and at night with the ice machine. Sleeping much better now and have been trying to work up the courage to sleep on op side. Do I need to clear this with OS first? Looking forward to my next follow up in 2 weeks so I can hopefully be done with hip precautions and be cleared to drive.

have been trying to work up the courage to sleep on op side. Do I need to clear this with OS first?
No need to clear this with your OS. But it will probably feel weird at first. Just keep trying. Always remember to put a pillow between your legs if you are side sleeping.

have been trying to work up the courage to sleep on op side. Do I need to clear this with OS first?
No need to clear this with your OS. But it will probably feel weird at first. Just keep trying. Always remember to put a pillow between your legs if you are side sleeping.
Thanks @Jaycey i tried it and you’re right, it definitely felt weird. I can’t say it hurt, but it felt like I was sleeping on a lump. I lasted about 10 minutes the first time. I’ve been alternating sides as much as possible to give my back a break. 5 weeks today. Been getting outside for walks with the kids, once or twice a day. Hoping to lose the crutch soon so I can finally have both hands free when I’m walking. But I have a feeling it’s going to be a while for me because of the limp. Sigh.

No rush to get rid of any walking aid. You will know when you are ready.

Try heel-toe walking if you are limping.

This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe.

It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.
1619184824963-jpeg.83076

No rush to get rid of any walking aid. You will know when you are ready.

Try heel-toe walking if you are limping.

This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe.

It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.
1619184824963-jpeg.83076
@Jaycey should I try this with the crutch or without? I find if the crutch is out of reach I tend to sway to the side when taking a step.

@HipMom143 Stay on the crutch until you are no longer limping. It's hard to break the limping habit - especially if you had the limp for awhile pre-op. Heel/toe walking can be done with or without walking aids. It's even better if you can do it in front of a mirror.

Let us know how you get on!

My method for losing the limp worked for me but everyone's results vary. I did a lot of walking at the Super Walmart with a shopping cart. It's the best walker that glides and allowed me to take full proper steps and not lean on a cane but have good stability. I would park at the furthest cart corral that had a cart and start there, you can put the crutch in the cart for security. I then would walk laps in the store and back out to the car. The other trick for a mirror is a shopping mall with large store windows to see your reflection in. I assume no responsibility for how much money you spend while doing this.

I assume no responsibility for how much money you spend while doing this.
:heehee:
We should name this Eman Shopping Cart Therapy. He shares the idea often and it’s a good one.

But I have a feeling it’s going to be a while for me because of the limp. Sigh.

It‘s such early days, hang in there, it will come!

Thank you @Jaycey @Eman85 and @Layla!
I am starting to get to the point where I feel recovery has stalled. In the logical part of my brain I know that it hasn’t really, because I can pinpoint small improvements every day. But the emotional part of my brain is starting getting impatient with myself because I want to be done with the crutch so badly. I’ve been avoiding the One Step app because I was hoping to start this once I was walking without aids, maybe I should just dive in and it will help.
Thank you for the encouragement and the giggles (not gonna lie - retail therapy/ shopping cart therapy seem like a pretty good idea!) I really needed to start my day with this today. :thankyou:

I am starting to get to the point where I feel recovery has stalled.
It hasn't stalled at all. It's just that the changes aren't as dramatic at this point. The brain says go but the body isn't quite ready. Patience prescribed in large doses.

Thank you @Jaycey @Eman85 and @Layla!
I am starting to get to the point where I feel recovery has stalled. In the logical part of my brain I know that it hasn’t really, because I can pinpoint small improvements every day.
Try looking at your improvements week to week @HipMom143. Then as you progress month to month. Recovery isn't a straight line (oh how I wish it was!) and the farther in you get the improvements slow. But they don't stop! I'm still seeing improvements in both my knee and hip.

It hasn't stalled at all. It's just that the changes aren't as dramatic at this point. The brain says go but the body isn't quite ready. Patience prescribed in large doses.
@Jaycey you’re right, I need patience by the bucket loads. PMS hormones don’t help the situation either! I think that was worsening my self-doubt

Try looking at your improvements week to week @HipMom143. Then as you progress month to month. Recovery isn't a straight line (oh how I wish it was!) and the farther in you get the improvements slow. But they don't stop! I'm still seeing improvements in both my knee and hip.
Thanks @FCBayern week to week is definitely the way to go now. I’m glad to hear you are still seeing improvements this far out in your recovery. My husband gave me the same pep talk yesterday about how much progress I made over the past few weeks. He also reminded me that before the surgery I would have never imagined that I would be as mobile as I am right now. That was a good reality check!

Progress will slow down but you're still very early in the process, I know it doesn't seem like it. The intervals to realize improvement are usually 2 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 mos and 1 year. The hard part is the time between those spots on the timeline when you're not seeing instant progress as the timeline spreads out. I still have pains from both, I still have setbacks and I still see progress.

I’ve been avoiding the One Step app because I was hoping to start this once I was walking without aids, maybe I should just dive in and it will help.
@HipMom143 I feel awkward making a suggestion since I’m a newbie too, but I suggest trying the app. I’m really enjoying it as it SHOWS me my progress from day to day. Sometimes I’ll feel like I’m not doing as well from the day before and then I can look at the app and compare to see what’s different.

Hi Hipmom143! I can relate to your updates! I was thinking I would never get rid of the limp, my right side would go so far up in the air when I would come down on my left side. It took a long time for me to feel steady on my feet at all, just standing up. Then I realized how severe my limp was and it was so depressing for a long time! I must say this has been the longest month of my life. :groan:

The at-home nurse told me to walk as much as I could tolerate with the walker on about day 8 home from the hospital. That day, I went outside and did my PT exercise on my walker and used it to go a couple of houses down and back. It was the next day that I felt steady on my feet. I started going further and further with the walker until I got down to the stop sign, about 1/4 mile down the road. I’d do that sometimes twice a day. I also started going out to the store and everywhere mom would take me so I could walk with the walker!

On Friday, we went to Lowe’s and I went around with the walker. Then, we stopped at Walgreens and I went in by myself with just the cane. On the way out to the car, I just thought, “Oh, it seems like I could pick this cane up and walk just as well as I am now.” So I did, and it worked! It was just like that...all of a sudden.

The limp came and went a bit over the next 24-36 hours, but I kept doing what worked. I would go out with the cane and get going, then pick it up and walk without it. I would walk as far as I could, as often as I could. I’m a little sore today from doing a combination of other things, too, so I’m going to take it a bit easier for the rest of the week.

I think it will probably happen really soon for you! When it happens, my guess is it’s going to be all of a sudden. It feels really good, too! After all the struggle, it’s such an earned relief.:SUNsmile:

I feel awkward making a suggestion since I’m a newbie too, but I suggest trying the app. I’m really enjoying it as it SHOWS me my progress from day to day. Sometimes I’ll feel like I’m not doing as well from the day before and then I can look at the app and compare to see what’s different.
Thank you for the advice, I will respond to the app invite. This is the push I needed, I appreciate it! I’m so glad I found this forum because I’ve learned so much from everyone, whether they’re veterans or newbies, so much support and encouragement!

@Missy45 thanks for the encouragement, I will keep focusing on the heel to toe walking and hopefully with practice I’ll make progress like you!

Big update for 6 weeks! I’m able to sleep on both sides during the night and stay there for long periods without difficulty! It’s so nice to not have to stay on my back all night :yay:
Also, I’m completely off Tramadol and just taking Tylenol and Advil twice a day. I’m making some progress with the heel to toe walking, the limp is getting slightly less when I try without the crutch. It’s amazing at how the perspective of comparing week by week can be so much more encouraging than daily comparisons. Thank you to everyone for getting me through the slump of last week!

@HipMom143 congratulations on all the great strides (literally) haha! I’m just about 2 months post op now and I still struggle to walk without a limp! Not because of pain but because I was so use to it because of the pain before surgery! I thought I was doing good but my PT spotted the limp and I didn’t even realize it and I have to really think about not limping when I walk and move! Sounds like your doing fine! Keep on keeping on!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom