THR Finally On The Recovery Side

@Mersada. I almost mentioned the fact that you might still experience some pain when everything wore off, but I didn’t want to be Debbie Downer. LOL I think we don’t realize how much the pain meds help until we don’t take them. I went all night without my middle of the night pain pill again. I seem to be able to do that without too much increased pain. Oxy10 is what helps me the most. I’ve been taking it every 4-5 hours, but I’m going to try to stretch it to every 6 today. They only gave me 60 pills, so I’m trying to make them last. They are kind of stingy with pain meds. Last time my ortho gave me two refills, but I think I will have to fight for them this time if I still need them. It’s too bad that the opioid crisis has made it so rough to get pain relief . Anyway, I hope your pain continues to be controlled. You are doing great!

Yes, I too needed oxy on the way out of the hospital. Sounds like we had similar pain experiences. I had to interrupt the discharging nurse from reading all her instructions to say, "Hey, I need some meds."

She ignored me once and then I interrupted again as I could feel that pain shooting up. Got the oxy and was good to go. Went out to lunch with a close friend and my sister.

So glad you got this done @Mersada.

Thank you for your insight. As for the pain, I think I was in denial. I wanted to believe that was it. Lol. Fantasy land is a nice place to be. My leg just feels so heavy. I have the leg lifter thing in my nap sack.
The pt told me once I’m home I could do

they just told me they are giving me 24 Oxy that is 12 doses. Doesn’t seem like enough at all. I just told the case manager this seems like too little. She is going to check for me.

You can call in if you need more oxy. The pain might relent in a couple of days. I assume the dose is based on the experience of your surgeons' patients in the past.

But you can call in for more if you need it.

I just didn’t want to have to rely on others to bring me my meds. It’s an inconvenience to say the least.

Hey @Mersada ! You must be at HSS. You’re in good hands and hopefully feeling better every day. Enjoy that turkey sandwich!

:happydance:yay, home.
You are stronger than you believe and this surgery is major but life changing so keep the Faith my friend.
Hugs xxx

Hey there :wave:
Happy to read you made it safely home, Mersada. I’m sorry you were sick. Hopefully you took a nap and your pain is currently well managed. Wishing you comfort and a good nights sleep.
@Mersada

You made it home. GREAT!!!!!

I have been napping ok. I broke one of my grabbers trying to get those hospital socks off. Oh well, good thing bought two.

My sister who picked me up from the hospital brought me dinner later. She also fed and watered my dogs and changed their wee wee pads. She is really coming through and I didn't ask...she just stepped up. Happy about that.

I'm hanging out on my recliner... Dozing off here and there. Pain is at a 2/3. I took two Tylenol at about six. And I set a timer to remind me to take again.

Here is to hoping I don't wake in pain again tonight.☺☺

Early, early days @Mersada, make sure to take your pain meds on schedule. An alarm is a really good idea, it can be easy to sleep until you wake in pain and then you are behind the curve. Awesome that your sister stepped up! :yes!:

I broke one of my grabbers trying to get those hospital socks off
Do you mean the compression socks? (TEDS) If so, how will you get them back on?

With any luck you had some decent sleep last night and are starting the day out well. :fingersx:

I hope your sister checks in on you for a few more days. If you didn’t get to take the shower you were wishing for while still in the hospital, you may want to take one next time she’s visiting and within earshot. My first shower felt a bit awkward and was a quick one. I was glad to have someone close by for the first and even the second, then I believe I was comfortable on my own.

Hopefully today is a good one!

Hi @Layla , No compression socks for me. They don't give me any, which is great. I waa talking about the slipper socks.
I slept well last night just woke with a timer to take meds.

I took my meds this morning and no pain. I just have the stiffness they said I would have. I am taking 1000mg of Tylenol and 5mg of oxy.

I was able to take a shower at the hospital so I am ok for a little while.

I have virtual PT at one ish.

So far so good.

Virtual PT. Wow, so you can make fake exertion sounds.
Ugh, I can’t ...my leg is sooo heavy, as it remains stationary on the floor. :heehee:
Just kidding :wink:

Sounds like you’re doing really well. So awesome!
Hope the day is good all the way through.
@Mersada

Hi, I had my virtual PT session.. She mostly went over the meds I'm taking and the 5 exercises I was told to do. She told me the standing ones can wait a few days. She said to expect some swelling day 3 and 4. So far not too bad. Hope that swelling doesn't come with pain. I have my ice packs ready .

My niece came over with food and cleaned up after and fed my dogs. Family is really coming through. I'm very happy about that because I didn't even have to ask.

Next PT session is on the 22nd. I honestly think they are a waste of time. She can't see what I am doing anyhow. She had me make a family member video me walking so she could see how I walk. Lets see what she evaluates.

So far I'm having an easy recovery. I hope it continues this way. Lets see what tomorrow brings with this swelling. She said I had some bruising on my incision but nothing major.

Now, I'm off to eat some of the food my niece brought over.

@Mersada you are blessed to have family near by! Enjoy your niece's yummy dinner :) And don't worry about the PT - continue with the exercises given by the hospital and walk as much as you can. IF ( and it's a big one) once you've healed up, your leg needs help with motions other than walking & climbing stairs - for example, getting left foot onto right knee - then maybe PT could help with strengthening and flexibility. When I had my BTHR I did not start PT until almost 2 months after surgery and then it was precisely for that flexibility and strengthening.

I sent my pt a video of me walking. This was her response:

Please make sure you are maintaining partial weightbearing of 50%- generally you need to walk with a more step-to gait, which means you take a step with your operated leg and then meet it with the non-operated leg. If you walk in a “normal” one-foot-in-front-of-the-other pattern at this stage of recovery, you risk placing too much weight through your operated leg.

Let me know if that helps. I can always chat with you over the phone about it tomorrow as well.

@Mersada Hummmm that's what I'd call a hesitantion walk -- like a bride going down the aisle. And - for me any way - contrary to what both my surgeon and my PT person said. I was told to walk regular as much as possible. Unless you were told differently by your surgeon, IMO that's the way to do it.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back