THR Hip Replacement and Colitis

Dulcinea14

Country
United States United States
Having Left hip replacement May 18. I also have Colitis and take Pepto Bismol for relief. Worried my Colitis will flare up in Hospital and Rehab Facility. Anyone else have Colitis issues?

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you told your surgeon about your condition? If you did, what did the surgeon say?

Surgeons need to know everything because there are all kinds of conditions that are relevant to the surgery and safe recovery. Then they can take precautionary measures to limit the possibility of a problem after surgery.

No, I did not. I figure when I go to the pre op exam 10 days before surgery I will tell them about my Colitis and also my idiopathic Peripheral Neuropathy in my legs. That is why I plan on going to rehab after surgery.

Well, if I were you, I'd call the surgeon's office and ask to talk to a top nurse or the PA, and tell them now about the condition. You want the surgeon to know everything as soon as possible. Get everything on their agenda in plenty of time for them to consider and to make any adjustments they need to make.

Also I would tell them about any medical regimen I was on. And also discuss your plan to go to rehab. Surgeons are not all that big on rehab for a number of reasons, but that's worth a real conversation between you and the surgeon or you and the surgeon's chief nurse or PA--separate from the preop appointment.

My preop appointment was mainly with a cardiologist. I recommend initiating a call now also because you want a clear brain as soon as possible. You don't want any extra uncertainty weighing on you given that we experience uncertainty and fear just from the pending surgery itself.

So basically for peace of mind, I'd call the surgeon's office and get a talk about this.

I sent him a letter re my Colitis and neuropathy as well as my wanting to go to rehab. He called me and said if I want to go to rehab I should talk to the nurse or social worker at my pre op meeting.

Sounds good.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks