Revision TKR Third time’s the charm

I’m a little worried because my stamina is just not there.
You and your knees have been through a lot in the past few years. All of that is bound to have had a debilitating effect on your general health and stamina. Try to allow yourself as much time as your body needs. You will get stronger, but it could take some time.

On work days, do what you can, try to sit instead of standing, and do the bare minimum when you get home.

I wish you can take more time off. Since you can't, try to do what Celle said and take it as easy as you can.

I am glad your visit with your psychiatrist went well. Napping during the day should help make up for some missed hours at night.
I think that maybe you’ve built up more muscle strength than you realize right now. When those muscles are put into use in the more demanding area of work you will see that your hard work has paid off. The stamina thing is a whole different kettle of fish. I think stamina comes with actually doing what you need the stamina for.
I’m hanging in there with you on this journey @newlybionic!!

I don't have a history of depression however I was stressed after surgery and as part of my rehab was offered a consultation with a psychiatrist. I had one session and found it helpful to offload my fears and anxiety. It helped me put my head on straight and go easy on myself. Looking after mental health is crucial.

I have one more PT session left this Friday. We have been working on strengthening my legs. It’s a lot of hard work. I have also learned to go down steps like an adult. I haven’t been able to do that for years. I’m still a little nervous on the steps but I can do it. Going up I have no problem at all.

My first day of work is the 5th of April. I realize I’m going to be very tired after work. My stamina will come back. Hopefully it won’t take me too long. I have my three month checkup on the 12th with the OS. Overall I am very happy with the outcome. I’m sure he will be too. There is a big difference between how I was before the surgery and how I am now. It was well worth getting the revision.

I am so glad this revision is working out good for you. You've been through enough!

I’m due back at work tomorrow morning. I’m so nervous about going back. I have been having problems with sleeping at night. I doubt I will get very much tonight. I’m lucky that my schedule has me off on Tuesday. I just want to make it through until then.wish me luck! I’m going to try to get some sleep. I am getting up at 5:30am.

Best wishes for a good day tomorrow. Maybe after being back you’ll sleep better. Sometimes the anticipation of something is more stressful than actually doing the thing we are anticipating! :console2:

It was worse than anticipated! I couldn’t remember how to chart. There were new sections and I had problems with them. My back decided to hurt as well as my knee. It is swollen so much I just barely got my pants leg on. It’s at least 3 times larger than norm. I have an ice wrap on. I also took a tramadol. When I get ready for bed I will use an ice machine so that it will ice on an off all night. I am hoping to sleep since I have been up since 5:30am.

I’m so sorry! Can you take more time off? That much swelling is not good for you and could cause quite a setback. :console2:

I can’t get off anymore time. I’m just going to suck it up and continue to go to work. Most of the swelling has gone down. I’m very lucky that they gave me off today. I work 4 days one week and three days the next week. This is a four day week.

I am so sorry you had a bad day at work. I think it's to be expected with all that poor knee has been through. Can you sit down at work and ice periodically? That would probably help some.

I used gel packs and a large Ace bandage to hold them in place at work and be mobile while icing.

There is no place for me to be able to ice my knee. The only guaranteed time to sit is a very quick 30 minute lunch break.

My main problem is that my knee swells up a lot while I’m at work. I’m either standing or sitting for brief moments now and again. I’m home now (Thursday afternoon). I’m off tomorrow but I work on Saturday. Usually they are days that aren’t as busy as during the week. Hopefully it won’t be too bad on my knee.

Monday I go back to the OS for my three month checkup. I haven’t seen him since the hospital. I saw his PA a few weeks after my surgery. I have been very happy with this knee replacement. I surely don’t want to show up having a hard time walking because my knee is all swollen. Maybe I should try the surgical stockings when I go to work. They measured them correctly in the hospital and they fit comfortably while doing their job. I guess I will give it a try.

Maybe I should try the surgical stockings when I go to work. They measured them correctly in the hospital and they fit comfortably while doing their job. I guess I will give it a try.
When I think back I did use one of my knee sleeves for a while at work to help control swelling. Hopefully that will bring you some relief.

I hope that helps Marian. My PA suggested I use the stocking when I swell and it used to help.

I made it through my first week. Tomorrow I go see my OS for my 3 month checkup. I hope he is happy with my progress. My ROM has decreased this week due to the swelling in my knee. I’m keeping my knee elevated today and will break out some ice packs when I know that I don’t have to get up to take care of the dogs.

My OS was very happy with my knee especially when I told him I had gotten to 118 degrees flexion. He checked both knees and he told me they are very solid. I am to come back in 9 months for my yearly checkup. He thanked me for having the confidence in him and his staff to allow him to continue to fix my right knee. I told him since I have had 4 knees now that it’s time that I move on. He agreed with me.

As far as the stiffness after work he told me that he was happy I could go back to work at all and my knee will get used to my usual workdays. He wanted to write down activities I should not have to do at work but since our patients are mostly ambulatory I told him I didn’t really need him to do so. Maybe I should have asked for a handicap placard so that I could park close to the building I work in for now. I’ll think that over.

That’s the end of this story. Much less pain this time, greater ROM and a happier ending. May everyone who comes across this story have a successful recovery. If something is not right continue to fight until an OS listens to you and find a good revision OS to fix your problems. I wouldn’t have finally have two good knees without my OS, Dr Paul Pollice of OAA Orthopedics.

Happy to hear that your journey has finally brought you to the destination you set out for @newlybionic, it's well deserved. :yay:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back