TKR A New Day

Sending hugs and prayers! :console2::prayer:

@Sisterpat Sending you prayers and best wishes for a problem free surgery and recuperation :prayer:

Good luck with your surgery. Soon you will have 2 shiny knees.

Appreciate the prayers and good wishes!

Praying for you right now!

Welcome to your brand newborn knee!

And ih, how gently i will be treating it!
Catheter out and sitting in a chair.

Had some PT. Moving this leg much more easily than the other knee post-op. Doc was in and discharged me. Doc said the knee was bad and the kneecap had lots of spurs and looked like a Ruffles potato chip but still wasn’t as bad as the first knee. Thanks for your support everyone ♥️!

Excellent news and report. Now the lecture: do not overdue. Pain meds on a schedule, ice & elevation are where your focus should be.

Happy Healing.

Thanks, all! Right, Eaglemom! I’m home with the ice machine going on an elevated leg ! I have no intention of stressing things today.
BTW, noting your name - are you following the live eagle cam set up in West Virginia and observable 24/7? 2 eaglets born 2 weeks ago.

Welcome to recovery again, @Sisterpat .

Here's a reminder copy of the recovery guidelines for you:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

People are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help, but YOU are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

I’m glad to hear this knee is doing better than your first knee. I hope everything keeps going along smoothly.

Thanks, Newly! Actually, the 1st knee went pretty well but this one is going even better, though today was kind of difficult...It’s a roller coaster ride for sure! I appreciate hour good wishes!

Well, this little fool hasn’t learned her lesson yet!
Knee/leg felt pretty good at PT evaluation yesterday, so of course I figured I had it made in the shade, as they say. Chairside commode? Nah, I can walk to the bathroom...well, got up twice with the walker and walked to the bathroom (approximately 30-35 steps) and it nearly killed me! The pain was fierce and I was nauseous when I returned to the chair. Was afraid to take 2 Norco’s during the night, wondering if that’s what caused the nausea. This morning I woke up to an uncomfortable bladder, a screaming knee, and a lot of discouragement...
I am only 3 DAYS post-op! What Is wrong with my mind that I think I can walk like that so early on?? I didn’t do that with my first knee!
I’m ready for the lecture, folks :no-fin:

I’m ready for the lecture, folks :no-fin:
No lecture from me. You have already lectured yourself! We have all done it and then are sorry afterward. It's all part of the learning process. The ODIC, (over did it club), is not a fun place to visit.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back