THR Woohoo! Let the healing begin!!

Day 5 update:
I’m feeling more like myself today. Yesterday I was slightly teary in the morning because I was calling downstairs and no one could hear me and they weren’t answering their phones. My husband and sisters felt awful afterwards but I think I just needed an excuse to let the emotions out. It’s difficult being so dependent on others when you’re used to doing it all. Today is a better day. I’ve been getting out of bed for all meals and got some cuddles in with my kids so that helped my mood. I also had success in the bathroom again this morning which makes me feel less bloated. I’m not allowed to have showers or baths until the staples come out, so a change of clothes and freshening up with washcloths was the best I could do. My activity still only consists of walking with the walker to the bathroom and back - it’s about 20 ft away so I’m usually feeling tired by the time I make it back to bed. When should I start adding more walking into my routine? My pain is managed really well with the hydromorphone, Tylenol and Celebrex. I’ve also been flexing my feet in bed and doing the occasional heel slide when I feel stiff. Should I be doing more exercises?

@HipMom143 :friends: I'm sorry you had a bout of the weepies today - and most everyone does have those bouts from time to time. It sort of is a given following major surgery.

Walk as much as you can - that really is the best exercise/PT for a new hip. After my hip replacements - it being winter in Oregon at the time - I did "laps" across my main floor - about 20 feet in one direction. At first I could only do one or two laps but increased that as I felt up to it. I remember one cute little video a guy posted of him doing laps around his apartment - kitchen to hall to living room to dining room to kitchen - with his two cute dogs following him every step of the way.

The exercises you were given in the hospital are enough for now. Most hips don't need much PT other than walking and those few exercises. IF you limped for a long time maybe the muscles around the hip will need further help but wait to the visit with your surgeon to ask about that. I think it was about 6 weeks after surgery that I started PT - hips were fine with walking and stair climbing but the muscles needed help with other ROM and flexibility.

Over all it sounds like you are doing well :flwrysmile:

@HipMom143 IF you limped for a long time maybe the muscles around the hip will need further help but wait to the visit with your surgeon to ask about that. I think it was about 6 weeks after surgery that I started PT - hips were fine with walking and stair climbing but the muscles needed help with other ROM and flexibility.
I limped on and off for over 3 years. In the beginning I was only limping on inclined surfaces or after lots of activity, but in the past few months I was limping daily, after 10 minutes of walking or being on my feet. I think my limp will be a hard habit to break so I think eventually I’ll need the help of PT but for now I’ll stick to your advice and increase the walking at home and continue hospital exercises.

Day 7:
Wow I can’t believe I’m a week into recovery!! I’ve figured out how to manage the pain and have been sleeping fairly well. I’ve been slowly increasing my walking and exercises in bed. My brain fog has lifted now so I’m able to watch tv and read a book which helps pass the time. My next big hurdle is to try to make it downstairs to the main floor. I’ve been upstairs since I came home from the hospital. My family has been great about bringing me food, swapping out my frozen water bottles for the ice machine and most importantly bringing the kids upstairs for cuddles. Shifting downstairs is going to take some manpower though. I’ll need someone to carry my ice machine and walker and move the raised toilet seat to the downstairs bathroom. Or maybe I’ll switch to regular ice packs while I’m down there. To be honest, my hesitation is also because I’m nervous about navigating the stairs. I practiced at the hospital and found it easier to go upstairs than down. I have about 20 steps to the main floor, and I can rest on the landing. I’m going to try to build up the courage to do it, so I’ll keep you all updated.

I was surprised the first time I did the stairs how well it actually went I was really nervous, I was right about 9 days out when I tackled that too! It was way better than how my mind had it playing out! Take your time and just make sure to rest and ice afterwards. Hope it goes great!

Thanks @Raftin21 you’re right it was easier than I thought!
I spent the day on the main floor yesterday and even sat in the sun in the backyard for a bit. That definitely lifted my mood.
Day 8:
Today I did some laps around the house first with the walker and then with the crutches. I have noticed an increase in my stamina and I don’t get winded as easily. I realized that I can sit in the recliner without the raised cushion, I just have to kick my op leg out further so I don’t break the 90° restriction when I’m sitting and then push off my arms to stand.
I came upstairs for a nap when the littles were napping and I’m going to go back downstairs soon. I plan to help assemble a lasagna for dinner tonight with my husbands help to put it in and out of the oven. I’m looking forward to a little normalcy.

Your getting better and better. So proud of you as this is not easy. Just take it slow and easy , rest ice eating good diet a protien shake is great and soon summer will be here and this will all be behind you.

Day 11:
I had a few really good days, went up and down the stairs a few times each day. Helped with meals and spent most of the day on the main floor. Then last night I realized I’m running low on hydromorph. I called OS and scheduled an appointment for Wednesday morning but they can’t get me a prescription sooner. Nurse said he doesn’t usually continue hydromorphone and will prob switch me to Tramadol but he’ll want to assess me in person first. So now I’m stretching out the remaining doses every 12 hours and taking Tylenol every 6 hours. It felt overwhelming earlier today which lead to some tears but I’ve been more diligent about icing and that’s helped. I had to cut back on helping out with meal prep and elevated my leg more too. Hopefully after getting staples out on Wednesday and with new prescription, I can get back to moving more again. The other big news is that I’m currently laying on my side for the first time, all propped with pillows. It feels so good to give my back a break! I actually pulled out my pregnancy body pillow, it’s u-shaped and works perfectly between my legs and supports my back so I don’t roll back or forward. Not sure how long I’ll stay like this, but it’s great to have the option. Bonus is that I can place my ice pad perfectly on my incision when I’m on my side.

:wave:good to catch up on your thread and see you are getting things worked out.
Ice is great to take the edge off, isn't it?:ice:
Glad you worked out a way to get safely on your side door a bit.
ANy one position became uncomfortable for me after a time.:nah:
I'm sorry they are making you jump through the hoops on the pain meds... However the Tramadol/Tylenol combo has been very effective for alot of members. I stepped down to this, albeit not this early out...and it worked well. Plus I was a serial icer.
You are doing great.... Just keep doing what you are doing which seems to be What you Can and smartly Stepping Back when necessary.
This hip recovery is no straight line for sure.

Hi :hi:
Good Luck with your appt tomorrow and losing the staples. I hope you find the perfect pain combo so you’re able to remain comfortably mobile.
Have a great Tuesday!
@HipMom143

Ice is was the best pain relief for me. What's interesting about recovery from THR is whatever extra strain we put on the muscles it usually doesn't hurt at the time we do it, but boy does it show up later. Many find a cycle of taking pain relief so they can do more or PT then taking pain relief when the new pain arrives. Stairs or walking on any inclines were very tough on the healing muscles for me. I think the less done the less pain and plenty of ice is the best thing.

Glad to hear that you are doing well. I think the anxiety and insomnia before surgery is the worst. It’s so great being on the other side for many reasons.

2 week update:
I went to the ortho clinic yesterday for my 2 week follow-up. It was nice to get out of the house finally, except I tend to get car sick if I’m not driving and the combination of the pain meds and being semi reclined in the passenger seat made me nauseous. Thankfully I didn’t throw up. Because of Covid I had to attend the appointment by myself, so I’m thankful that I was able to move well with the crutches. They removed the staples, which wasn’t bad at all and then gave me a prescription for Tramacet. Next appointment will be in 5 weeks. I felt nauseous again on the way home and had a headache. I realized these were pms symptoms and I will be getting my period soon (not looking forward to that).
Later that evening I felt like I turned the corner in my recovery. I’m moving faster with the crutches and am able to stand for longer periods. The tramacet is working really well to manage my pain.
I finally took a shower this morning, and oh my goodness, I did not want to get out!! The hot water felt amazing and I feel a million times better. I can’t believe that I’m 2 weeks into recovery and feel this good. I wish I could’ve known this when I was so anxious prior to the surgery.
My next goals are to continue to do my exercises and increase the amount of walks each day. I’m looking forward to the weather improving so I can start to walk outdoors too. We live in an area with very steep hills so I can’t walk in my neighborhood, but once it’s gets warmer I’d like to go to the park with the family.
Also the OS said that I could wean off crutches to cane whenever I feel ready and then to no walking aids once I felt confident. He said he didn’t want to give me any timelines because of my age and balance he would rather leave it to my discretion. Any thoughts on when I should try? I have already had a few instances where I nearly forgot the crutches and took a step or two before I realized. But I don’t want to rush and have any setbacks. I’d appreciate any input.

I have already had a few instances where I nearly forgot the crutches and took a step or two before I realized. But I don’t want to rush and have any setbacks. I’d appreciate any input.
You answered your own question @HipMom143! Don't even think about a time line. You will soon realize you are on the other side of the room before you notice you don't have it. I gave mine up completely when I left it in a shopping basket and drove away! I went back and got it but didn't use it again. Passed it on to my brother when he got his own THR.

Hello and Happy Two Week Anniversary!
You’re doing well and it’s good to hear your first post op was reassuring, minus the trip there and back with the nausea and headache, so sorry to hear that.

I never used crutches, but a walker instead. I made the decision to begin practicing with the cane at about eleven days post op. My husband walked along side me, I don’t remember if I held onto him initially, or if he just walked along with me, there was a wall on the other side of me also. I didn’t intend to ditch the walker immediately, but wanted to start the process of feeling comfortable with the cane. Once I practiced several times a day for a couple days, my confidence increased, I felt really comfortable with it and I switched over to using the cane only. I’m sharing my experience because you mentioned you’ve unconsciously taken a step or two away from your crutches already...so you know you can. I will say it felt awkward initially and I was a little apprehensive, but I hated the clunky walker just enough that it spurred me on, lol.

I hope you have a lovely weekend and a Happy Easter!
@HipMom143

Day 17:
Recovery continues to go well. I’m walking with one crutch now and down to one tramacet 3 times a day. I’m planning on swapping the tramacet for Tylenol before next week. Still elevating and icing when I’m not on my feet. Have been increasing my walks indoors. Feeling confident enough to try outdoors but the weather is not great yet. Hopefully soon we can get to the park.

Today is day 30 for me, and I've pretty well graduated to the cane. Feels good to be off that walker, though the PT told me to use a four-wheeled walker for my 10 minute daily walk.

3 week update:
Feeling stronger every day, the exercises are feeling less strenuous and I am able to walk longer distances. Still using one crutch as I’m limping if I try walking without aids. Also nervous to let go of the crutch with the little ones walking around and their tiny little toys. I’m down to one Tramadol in the morning and one at night. Swapped out the midday dose with 2 Tylenol instead and that worked well. The incision is starting to look flat towards the bottom, still has a raised appearance at the top of the hip. I forgot to ask the OS if I can apply any bio oil or lotion to the incision yet? I’ve found the emotional aspect of the recovery more difficult than the physical challenges. It is definitely hard to take a back seat on mom duties and I miss my regular routine with the kids. I feel like I’m in the limbo period where I’m no longer in pain but still limited with hip precautions which makes it harder to not want to rush back to normal life. If I wasn’t so scared of dislocation I probably would be breaking some rules by now. I do admit I’ve figured out a way to pick up my daughter from the ground, if I get her by to stand by my non-op leg I can use my upper body strength to slide her up the side of the recliner. My son has also mastered safely climbing onto my lap, so I can get lots of cuddles from both of them which helps.
One day this will all be a distant memory...

:wave:You sounds like you are doing great.:egypdance:
Recovery was an emotional journey for me also.
And having little ones would have to make it even more so.
I waited for about 6 weeks out before putting anything on my scar as I wanted to make sure it was sealed up tight.
Mine was a bit bumpier at the top also. :nah:

One day this will all be a distant memory.
Exactly... Only a snapshot in Time .. And the benefits you AND your children will tap from this memory will be well worth this time.
Keep the faith, you are doing great.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back