THR Is there anywhere to find out how many procedures my surgeon has performed?

DGrant

Country
United States United States
When I asked him a few questions about himself, he seemed reluctant and passive to my questions... which a few questions were "how many hip replacements have you done?"... and "how old are you?"..

On the "how many have you done?" question I asked very nicely, he looked at me strangely and somewhat smug, he said ""Oh ... I've done alot of them.."" ... and that kind of caught me, as I expected to hear a number, or ballpark figure... but he was passive about it, and I didn't want to be disrespectful and give a more pointed question.. but I have to know I think.. it's only right...

... on the "how old are you?" question, I asked him like I asked the other question, more in the spirit of getting to know eachother.... as well as I wanted the info... and he kind of looked down at his paperwork, and reluctantly quietly said "36"...

It was just all a bit of a few awkward moments, but I expected him to look me in the eyes and confidently answer my simple questions.

My last surgeon was totally forthcoming, and instilled his confidence, but he was alot older(now retired from surgery)... and I found out several places he'd done thousands of THR's and pioneered procedures. I sure miss him. If he was still in surgery I would have probably been fixed already... He knew exactly how to get things done and answer questions in a positive productive manner...

...but my new guy is what I have right now.. and I'm trying with him.. I just need some confidence from him, as well as from myself. I can't even find any actual post op reviews about him. Plenty of gushy good comments for general treatment, but nothing for post-op comments out there at all on him.

Thanks for any insight.

Honestly, I would not walk, I would run to another ortho surgeon. He doesn't sound very confident and you need to feel reassured.

I went to 6 consultations before I was comfortable enough to put my hip in someone's hands. You don't sound comfortable with him. Find someone else.

@DGrant Sigh many surgeons just don't have the bedside manner we patients would like. The surgeon who replaced my hips 9+ years ago got rather huffy when I asked questions -- until I explained to him that I knew his credentials were impeccable and I was not doubting his expertise -- I just wanted to be an informed patient and ( oh by the way) I was retired from professional position with the HMO he was employed by. And was probably more medically knowledgeable than many of his other patients. Once we established that base he was willing to answer my questions :)

Asking how many hip replacements per year a surgeon does is a pretty standard question. Also asking about what approach they use ( where on the hip would the incision be), what implant would be used, post op pain management, etc Those are also pretty standard questions. If you can't get answers from the surgeon maybe talk to his assistant or nurse.

Actually, surgeons are usually open and non-defensive about the number of joint replacements (and other surgeries they have done) and open about the number of surgeries they do each year. It's sorta like asking you how many years have you been on your job.

When I asked my surgeon if the newspaper was right that he did 340 hip replacements last year, he said something like, "no, 345!"

So it's surprising to hear that you got the "I've done a lot."

Surgeons seem to use their "number" as their armor, as their confidence. And I met with or talked maybe six surgeons over the course of considering the surgery, all of them were open about specific numbers, yearly and in total.

Do you know if your surgeon does only hip and knee replacements?

Thank you everyone so far.. Yes, I somewhat believe a surgeon has the number of successful procedures as a badge of honor.. which surprised me when I didn't get any number, or ballpark..nothin'. I really don't care if he's somewhat new, but that confidence factor means alot to me.

Being me second go'round after 5yrs it's like a different playing field. I was about a year short of getting my original surgeon, who actually did our daughters 2 hip replacements(she's 38yrs old now and dealt with RA for for almost 20yrs, and had both hips replaced, and doing great).. and he did my first one... but now he's retired from surgery, still in practice, and he actually referred me to whom I'm seeing now.

I'm thinking I need to schedule an appointment with him for a consult, and get his input, since he actually referred me to my current surgeon.

I'm still wondering if there's any data base or site that I can get a track record of surgeons/surgeries.

As well, I have an appointment week after next with yet another surgeon, that I've had working up my case, so yeah... It's a matter of finding our new family surgeon for our orthopedic needs. My daughter has her hips done by my first surgeon, first one in 2009(before I ever thought I'd need one), and her second hip in Nov 2016, and she leaps tall buildings.

All input is welcome, and thank you all. I think I'll also make an appointment with my original surgeon since he's still in medical practice.

I think I'll also make an appointment with my original surgeon since he's still in medical practice.
I think this is a great idea. Since he referred you, ask him why he chose this particular surgeon. Did he train him perhaps? Training within orthopaedics is a gold standard for the more senior surgeons. They take pride in passing on their expertise.

Hello. I have been reading your questions and your replies. My surgery was a knee revision, and I fell for sloppy and comfortable answers. As a result, he did me badly in surgery and afterward. My point is, trust your intuitions and find someone else. If he cannot answer you now, I guarantee you, after surgery, when you need answers, he likely won't get better. This group, Jaycey, and Jamie are extraordinary with support and knowledge and how I am getting through it. Lean on them, and they will guide you all the way through it. Whoever you find, be sure you ask them everything on your mind and in your heart...all the pros and the cons, maybe even their success record-success vs. failures. They should be happy to boast about their records!

Hi, I agree with the rest of them. If you have a bad feeling now you are probably correct. It will not most likely be better after surgery. You should leave their office feeling really confident in the doctors ability to be able to do the surgery that you require.good luck and I hope all is well

I would think twice or three times or four times about any surgeon who I felt iffy about. Frankly, the closer I got to my surgery date, the thing that comforted me was my overwhelming trust in my surgeon. That's what helped me to "let go" to have the surgery.

Now, I happen to be picky. I prefer surgeons who take some time to explain things to me. I have an amateur's interest in medicine. So I would not be comfortable with your surgeon's answer or refusal to answer your question. In fact, as I understand things (and this happened with several doctors I've had experience with, including those who worked on my parents), doctors all the time just announce, "there's a new procedure, would you be interested?" They didn't hide when a procedure was new to them in my experience.

I know of one major surgeon who was in the process of learning the anterior approach. He literally had on his website the percentage of posterior vs. anterior approach surgeries he did. Every year, he was increasing the percentage of anterior approach surgeries he did. So basically he announced that he was in the process of learning and mastering this new approach.

Just me (not telling you what to do), but I wouldn't want to have to use a database to look up the number of surgeries a surgeon has performed. I'd be bothered that the surgeon didn't provide that. Also, I wouldn't really want to build my confidence around another surgeon's recommendation. It's like the story of friends of mine introducing me to people they just KNEW I would connect with as friends or potential dates. Often as not, such introductions were a bust at predicting who I would hit it off with.

Are you limited in the number of surgeons around you? Why not consult with several other people and see how you feel with them?

BTW: Your guy who doesn't disclose numbers might well be excellent. But I would want someone I emotionally trusted. Because if there are any problems, you want someone who will stay with you and be good to you and concerned for you. I also think you want someone that you sorta look forward to seeing if you need an appointment. Otherwise you may delay calling for a followup appointment, you might delay putting in a call with a concern.

There's a subtle element of communication between doctor and patient that really needs to happen. And with someone I'm not really comfortable with, I might bite my tongue, not share certain issues and problems and leave not feeling taken care of. There is definitely an emotional component to the surgery and that component raises its head during the frustrating periods of recovery. Are you basically reassured that things are OK because your gut says your surgeon is good? Or during those rough patches, do you second-guess yourself because really you never really trusted your surgeon?

You asked for more opinions. Those are mine. Your mileage will vary.

I've now made an appointment to see my original surgeon (did my LTHR), fortunately he's still in practice, although retired from surgery a few years back.

Since he's referred me to the current surgeons, I'm hoping to glean some info as to why, or what he might know. Maybe to just get his vote of confidence, and a pat on the head telling me it will be fine. He does have a history of hip replacements in our family, and yes we do trust him immensely. So this appointment won't be treatment, rather a consult.

Over the course of a few weeks last fall he referred me to two guys.. the first one seemed highly respected, and for maybe my own fault, they told me to go loose about 40lbs and come back in 6 months..... which seemed like forever away.... but now its already been 6 months.. and seems like yesterday...

....So when I was told that, I not only immediately started a strict diet regimen, I went back to my main guy and got another referral to the next surgeon... which seemed more eager for my case although still concerned about weight as well... and he was the one reluctant to provide his real credentials on number of procedures and age. He's the one I've been working with moreso... but that may change.

In the course of that time, I've now lost about 45lbs and still dropping, and will be going to the first referral again, and see what they tell me. So it's still a learning game. Now that I'm finally fit for surgery, they would probably all take my case. So time will tell... and I won't just lay down on that gurney for just anyone that comes along. Having choices is nice... making that final choice is the harder part... but at least I've got what might be several choices.

Thanks for all the replies. Have a nice weekend. :)

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties