THR Hip Recovery

Teresa17

Country
United States United States
Today is Day 1. Yesterday was a very long day! Got up at 3:00 am to drink the Pre- Surgery drink the doctor gave me and to get ready to leave the hospital. My OS has had me drink Premier Protein from day I scheduled surgery till night before and day of I had to drink the Pre-Surgery drink. I have to drink 3 bottles of high protein every day for the next few days.

Surgery went well. I slept for 6 hours after surgery at the hospital. every time I woke up, the nurse would ask me my pain level. If it was under 5, he would give me more pain meds and I would fall asleep.

I did not stay overnight, but I wasn’t able to leave until I urinated, walked 100 yards and climbed 17 stairs (I live in a beach house so had to climb stairs when I got home.) I threw up several times and we went back to my room before I finished. I started going in to Addisons Crisis because the anesthesiologist didn’t think I needed my steroids during surgery, even after we had discussed it and he had the med all ready to go. Not too happy about that. I even had the paperwork/ protocol from my endo. Told hubby to go to the car and get my meds. Nurse was kind of arguing w me on how they don’t like patients taking their own meds. I basically told her I didn’t care. If I went in to full blown crisis, it would be really bad. She finally called the anesthesiologist and was able to give me the 100 mg of steroids I needed. I perked right up and felt good.

We didn’t get home till almost 7:00. My thigh and groin is still in a lot of pain. I’ve been taking Tylenol and Tramadol. I slept pretty decent last night till 3:00 but then had to get up because I couldn’t get comfy.

I feel pretty decent when I have medicine, otherwise, my thigh and groin are in a lot of pain. I have my leg elevated and I’m icing both the incision area and thigh/groin. It’s VERY difficult sitting and standing from a sitting position. I‘ve been holding the operated leg out straight and using the good leg to pull me up; groin/ thigh pain kicks in. I’ve used my leg strap several times and it really helps. Definitely have the log leg! Dr. told me the pain would be worse on days 3-4. Ouch-not looking forward to that!

:welome:to the healing side @Teresa17! Make sure to stay on schedule for your pain meds, elevate and :ice::ice::ice: I will leave you the recovery guidelines below.

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website
Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Care In Hospital

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

@Teresa17, happy to hear you are home and over the big surgery hump. That in itself is huge!

I found the leg strap invaluable for the first week or so, when I was barely able to move my surgical leg without it. And pain meds are now your friend of course.

Really interested to read that your surgeon told you to drink those high protein drinks. Sounds like a really good idea, and a reminder to me to make my own today; I seem to keep forgetting that.

Hope the pain settles for you quickly.

@Teresa17 congratulations and welcome to the healing side!! I’m sorry you had a tough time with getting your steroid meds in the hospital, that must have been scary, proud of you for advocating for yourself! Don’t be too scared of Day 3, for me day 1 and 2 were the worst and then I started getting the hang of it - taking meds on schedule and resting as much as I can. The log leg feeling is hard, but I’m glad you are liking the leg lifter - I found it awkward so I hook my good leg under the operated leg and help slide it in and out of bed. I have a lot of arm strength from picking up my kids so that helps me pull my body into bed too. Another thing I noticed about my recovery is that I didn’t have much attention for anything initially, so I couldn’t read a book, watch tv or maintain conversations without feeling foggy. That changed yesterday, so I feel like my head is a bit clearer now and I can do things to help make the time pass by. You got this, just take it one hour and one step at a time

Hello and Welcome to the healing side! It’s good to see you here. :)
Sorry you had a bit of a rough start, but thankfully you were discharged for home where I’m sure you’re resting more comfortably.

Dr. told me the pain would be worse on days 3-4. Ouch-not looking forward to that!
Please don’t count on this, or brace yourself. This is definitely not always the case. I didn’t find Day 3 or Day 4 any worse than the previous two, or the day after. I just had this exchange with Phoenix1 about two weeks ago. She was informed the same and admitted afterward she didn’t find this to be true either. Fingers crossed it works the same for you. Take your meds on schedule and ice, ice, ice. It really helps to ease the swelling and pain.
Wishing you comfort and a peaceful Thursday. :ice:
@Teresa17

Best wishes for your recovery!

Log leg is normal, and temporary. I didn’t have a hip replaced, I had a partial knee, and it was probably almost 2 weeks before I could lift my leg myself. All of a sudden it just happened, so don’t worry.

Today is day 2 after surgery. I’ve been in quite a bit of pain. Really just in the groin/ leg/ knee. My leg is pretty swollen so hoping if swelling goes down, the pain will be better. It REALLY hurts when sitting or getting up. I slide my leg out but it’s still very painful. The bedside toilet works really well. So glad I have one.

Just took my temp - 100.5. I think I’m just to notify dr. if it gets over 102. Is that right? It’s so hard getting comfortable.

@Teresa17 are you icing and elevating. Yes, the swelling is what is causing some of the pain.

Limit your activities for now. Plenty of time for moving around when your body settles a bit from all the trauma.
Just took my temp - 100.5. I think I’m just to notify dr. if it gets over 102.
Low grade temperatures are very common post op. If it does increase then yes, call your surgeon's office or family doctor.

Many of our members use lots of pillows to get a bit more comfy. Very early days for you!

Just took my temp - 100.5. I think I’m just to notify dr. if it gets over 102. Is that right? It’s so hard getting comfortable.

Some info I found online awhile back upon researching low grade temps post op -
A low grade fever (less than 101.5 F) during the first week after surgery is a normal response by the body to the stress of surgery. It is most often caused by inflammatory response to the tissue injury sustained during surgery. After the first week if you have a fever that lingers for more than a few days, or if a fever over 101.5F begins several days after surgery, it's recommended that you contact your physician to rule out anything serious.

Also some info on Log Leg -
The first stage of healing is the inflammatory phase. During this time it is very common to notice swelling. After lower extremity surgery, or trauma involving bleeding and inflammation, there will be fluid in the leg causing the sensation of heaviness. Gravity pulls the fluid downward and since the patient is less mobile the fluid is not pumping back through the heart as quickly. The swelling gradually eases, but can persist for up to 3-6 months in some cases. Regular movement will assist in the reduction of swelling, as will elevation and ice. Your surgeon may prescribe compression stockings for a short period of time.

As, Jaycey, mentioned pillows, pillows, pillows. There is something comforting in surrounding yourself with comfy pillows. I hope you’re pain becomes more manageable as the day progresses.

@FCBayern Thank you for sending the guidelines. It’s a great reminder!

@Sashimu yes, the surgical strap has been very helpful. I had to drink protein drinks every day for 2 weeks up until surgery day. Then I had to drink carbohydrate drinks night before and morning of— it was a boost re-surgery clear drink. Now I have different protein drinks I’m suppose to drink 3 times a day.

I’m not feeling much pain now, the Tylenol and Tramadol really help

@HipMom143 What day are you on? I haven’t really been able to concentrate either.

@Layla Thank you for the ice reminder. I iced this am but forgot to get another pack.
@Jockette good to hear about the log leg. Hopefully it won’t be much longer.
@JohnWilky I hope I’m as lucky as you & my pain will subside!
@Jaycey I am using lots of pillows. I’ve only been getting up every 1-2 hours to go potty or kitchen.

I iced continuously with an icing machine. From the guidelines it takes long periods of icing to control the swelling and pain. Ice made the biggest difference for me.

Today is day 3 after surgery. Yesterday was a really good day. Started out not so good yesterday morning, but keeping ahead of the pain w meds/ice really helped. I took the oxycodone, ibuprofen, and med for muscle spasm( can’t remember the name
-something like tiz.... before going to bed. I actually slept the entire night!

This am I got out of my pj’s and robe and put real clothes on. I couldn’t get the pants leg on so my sister helped and got it up to my knees. Then I was able to pull them up. It‘s just some very lightweight and soft lounging clothes.

im wondering if I’m elevating correctly. Sometimes I lay down on the couch and prop my leg up ( I’m thinking this is ok) but other times I sit up on the couch and put 2 big pillows under my feet. My leg is lower than my hip. Is that ok? just really want to get the swelling down.

I‘m considering a shower today. Is it too early? I also asked @Eman85 if icing all day was ok or if I should take a break throughout the day. Thoughts?

The leg lifter has been a big help!

@Eman85 I definitely will keep up w the ice. Wondering if it’s ok to ice all day or if I should take breaks?

Happy Friday and Day 3! I hope it’s a good one for you.

Wonderful news you slept all night. Our body does its best healing as we sleep, so snooze when you’re able.

Putting on clothes is a mood lifter, one more step toward “normal”. I found soft lounge type clothing most comfortable also. My surgery site has patients dress in their own clothes before leaving the initial recovery room for a private room. Nothing like having you snap to it! :heehee: So soft pull on stretchy pieces are what I brought. Just as comfy as pj’s.

As far as Elevation, its toes above nose. Following is an article from the Recovery Guidelines -

You should really ask your surgeons’s office when you can shower. This varies from surgeon to surgeon and can depend upon your dressing. I showered on Day 5 and hubs had to almost push me in, I was a little apprehensive. First shower Is The Best!!!

Icing - Ice as often as you like, making sure to ice for no less than 45-60 minutes each time. I iced almost non-stop. If I was sitting or laying down (often in those early days) I was icing. I also fell asleep with a large ice pack and switched it out for another during a middle of the night bathroom trip.

I hope you have a good one!
@Teresa17

Getting dressed does a lot for your attitude in recovery. I was dressed and ready at the hospital the morning after surgery, I was the only one not wearing hospital clothes when we had to go for our pre-discharge PT class. Everyone else was shuffling around in the hospital socks and gowns. I made it a point to get dressed every morning and eat every meal at the table, just a mind thing for me. I was able to shower as soon as I got home and it felt great. I had a clear tape with no stitches externally. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't get that tape to come off.
As far as icing like I said I had a machine which was on me as soon as I got to my room in the hospital and continuously all the time I was in the hospital. They packed it up for me to take and as soon as I was at home it was on me. I would bring it to bed with me in the first week or so. It would have the frozen water bottles in it for hours of continuous comfort.

Hi Teresa17, I am going in for LTHR on Monday and have been watching your thread. It is very encouraging! It sounds like what you are taking for muscle spasms might be tizanidine...? If that’s it, I have had it prescribed as needed for over a year now. I find that it can put me to sleep quickly, especially on an empty stomach so I would guess it is helping you sleep! It is my number 1 medication that I’m glad I’m going to have for my recovery.

I wanted to tell you, though, that it can cause diarrhea. It can also cause wooziness. I don’t take it unless I’m planning to go to sleep soon. The feeling is like a sudden weakness like you’re going to collapse if you don’t sit down immediately. I don’t know if you have been told about this, but I just thought it might be important to mention given how you need to be steady on your feet now. Just something to watch out for IF it’s tizanidine you have. It could be scary if this happens and you don’t know why.

Good luck with today, I hope you are feeling well! :flwrysmile:

@Missy45 yes, that’s it-tizanidine. That’s good to know- I thought it was the Tramadol that was making me sleepy. I slept a lot yesterday. Thanks for the warning on tizanidine. I haven't experienced diarrhea or wooziness but I’ll be on the lookout.

@Layla I wore a dress to the hospital. It was so easy to get dressed. Can’t imagine putting on pants day of surgery.

I wore a dress to the hospital. It was so easy to get dressed. Can’t imagine putting on pants day of surgery.

Trust me, they were about as lightweight, stretchy and soft as I could find. I think I bought them in the pj / loungewear section of Target. I chose black because they looked like yoga style pants. With that, I wore a roomy t-shirt (sans bra) I drew the line there :heehee: Put it all on at 2:00- 3:00 in the afternoon, slept in it and wore it home in the morning. Easy Peasy.
You’re smart...I should have worn a dress, wasn’t thinking I guess.

@Layla sounds like it worked well for you!
How long before you could put your pants on by yourself?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88