THR BigD’s recovery thread

Oh my word! That sounds awful, I’m so sorry. Thankfully you’re feeling better. Rest up until Thursday and hopefully you can travel soon and see your mom once again also.
Good to hear your son has no symptoms. Covid, Covid, go away! :gaah:
Thanks for letting us know you’re ok. :)
@Fatherdano

I get my 13 week appointment tomorrow.

Im looking forward to no restrictions even though at 12 weeks I started tying my shoes and going past 90 degrees.

I feel I bounced back from Covid really well, I’m back in the pool, back on the track, bike and elliptical machine. My time off didn’t bring complete relief from my soreness, in fact it seems I need the exercise to really loosen up my muscles. Not sure if that makes sense.

ive accepted the fact that full recovery could be 12 months, that being said I’ll continue to try and lose weight and enjoy a brand new hip. I’ve had a few people who saw me struggling after my hip collapse (before surgery)who are amazed at my progress.

It truly is amazing what a gift a hip replacement is.

:wave:Glad you are bouncing back from the virus and feeling a bit renewed.
Hope all continues to go onward and upward.:egypdance:

Hello @Fatherdano
I hope your appointment went well today. We’d love to hear if you care to share.
So wonderful you bounced back from Covid well. Best wishes for good health and continued healing. Enjoy the weekend! :)

I think this is 15 weeks today.

Dr appointment was non eventful almost a waste of
time. Literally he watched me walk in and said no more restrictions. Asked a couple questions and said come back in a year.
Tonight will be my last time at PT as I will be on my own from here on out.
So it’s back to normal so to speak, go to the gym 6 times a week, try not to eat and drink too much.(no hip pain though )

looking forward to some nicer weather so I can hit some
Trails

Wonderful update! Try to view your last appointment as additional reassurance that you’re on the right track, rather than a waste of time. You’re released from further monitoring for a full year! Yay...it’s like a graduation! :wink: You’re doing so well.
I’m waiting for some nicer weather too. Hopefully soon. :fingersx:
Happy Tuesday!
@Fatherdano

Today was 16 weeks. Did a 3 mile walk/hike Sunday. Yes I was sore and stiff Monday. I took it easy and did a lot of stairs(long story lol)

today I felt much better and did my 2000yard swim with a lot of stretching.

Traveling to New Orleans and Biloxi Thursday for an extended weekend, I expect I’ll get plenty of walking in.(I like the tours lol)

If there’s a muscle or joint I can irritate I’ll find it lol. Even my feet are sore some days. This was pre-surgery also.

Thanks for updating! Your trip sounds exciting. Please don’t overdo it,
you’re doing so well, I’d hate to see you stall your progress. :wink:

Let us know how you held up through it all upon your return. Would love to hear.
Safe travels...Enjoy!
@Fatherdano

Anticipating a lot of calories I did a 2.5 mile hike tonight.

this is a question for everybody

is it kinda like no matter
What I do to recover is it just
Gonna take time to get over muscle soreness?

No matter how hard I rehab it’s just gonna take time?

Yes, it takes time. You aren’t quite four months into a recovery that can last a full year, even longer for some. A controlled trauma” occurred underneath the surface. Your flesh was cut, bone sawed and power tools used to ream out your femur so that a prosthetic could be hammered into place. Muscle and soft tissue was separated and disturbed. You will have discomfort and pain as your body works to repair the assault.

You may be doing too much too soon. You really can’t push the healing process, but you can prolong it by overdoing it. I realize you’re traveling tomorrow and that may involve more activity than usual, or more walking in general, but you may want to consider resting upon your return, if you’re able and scaling back activity for a time, then slowly re-engaging.

Enjoy your weekend getaway. Stay safe!
@Fatherdano

Well I’ll start with the plane ride...I was able to get up every half hour, not too bad.
Each day I did a total of 4-6 miles. I was stretching a lot and resting when needed but never the less it was a lot.
I could have never done it if I wasn’t already building up my endurance and I don’t recommend it that much without working up to it.
As others have mentioned it’s not the hip that’s gonna hurt but the surrounding areas.

so I did notice if my posture and gait
Was sloppy my lower back would hurt and I’d need to stretch. For those who have been to New Orleans you probably know it’s not all smooth walkways but uneven cobblestone/slate and old brick etc. you need to be aware lol

fast forward I’m gonna swim this week only and give the legs a break(I’ll walk Baxter the IT)

food was amazing, found a lot of off the main path places.(diners,drive-I s and dives) of course I stayed well hydrated also

Attachments

• A40295F4-79AD-4ABD-968D-66CFC4426ADD.jpeg
    A40295F4-79AD-4ABD-968D-66CFC4426ADD.jpeg
    171 KB · Views: 151
Dang, where's a drooling emoji when you need one! Glad you enjoyed the trip. Just think, each one from here on out will be better and better!

Is there a
General consensus on using stair climbing as PT?

there are a massive set of stairs on my trail walk I’d like to incorporate them slowly into my workout
1617630621202.jpeg

I used stairs to help me strengthen my legs in recovery I think mostly because it was so amazing to be able to do steps pain free for the first time in years. You definitely need to go slow though, and listen to your hip afterwards before upping the number of steps @Fatherdano.

So no worries about loosening the implant?

I read an old article from 2002 saying it would loosen the cement(I’m pretty sure I don’t have
Cement

@Fatherdano Maybe if you went rapidly from no stairs to all stairs (Up and down) it could loosen the cement (did your surgeon tell you your hip was cemented? That is not done as frequently as it use to be). But if, as FCBayern said, you start slowly - ie 5 stairs up, 5 down for day one - if no pain or other symptoms that night or the next day, then add a few more stairs every other day. And don't try to do the stairs quickly! Then probably you'll do OK with them. This stair stepping adventure does look lovely and fun!

Do you have stairs in your home? Can you manage those OK?

Yes I do stairs daily. That article is almost 20 years old Lol. I’m doing that trail 3 times a week now so Sunday I did almost half and was more winded than anything lol

my main concern was that stair climbing is not on the banned list of activities. I’m in no hurry going up or down lol.

Good to read you enjoyed your trip to New Orleans and made it home safely.
Give us an update on how you’re doing with the steps after you slowly incorporate them into your walk. Hope the weekend is a good one for you! :)
@Fatherdano

21 weeks.

ive limited out at 3-4 miles plus
The stairs.
Lots ofStretching
I am always sore.....feet,legs in general. Going to focus on diet and get my weight down, it is probably why I’m so sore.

my hip seems fine
my flexibility is terrible
Goals.....

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member