THR Day 1 surgery day

Day 6. Middle of the night I got up to potty, thought o how nice it’s raining and then noticed kitchen floor full of water- water hose to back of fridge ruptured!! Got the non emergency local fire department to come out and turn off water. Plumber coming tomorrow. Chaotic but I know the potty path!! And today I walked all the way to the master bedroom, brushed my teeth and gave myself a very basic sponge bath. Son off to Diabetes clinic for appointment ( he was just diagnosed a week before Xmas). Pain level walking to master bedroom (long hallway) 7 I sat on my bed for a minute. Pain in bed zero. Percocet taken 2 hours ago. Very pleased with my little walk

Hi there, I'm 5 weeks today postop. What a drama from the fridge. Lucky you didn't slip over! That was my biggest fear. Well done with the mobility. Keep it up and glad you have your son for support. Keep icing. Made such a difference. Just had to remember to put the ice pack back in the freezer in between. Did end up with a few on the go.

Hi Shellb
I would love to be 5 weeks out! I have 4 ice packs and just today managed to walker to that pesky freezer and get a fresh one. Much easier to ask son if he is on his way there! Best of luck to you

Hello @cetch1
What a nuisance appliances can be, especially at the most inopportune of times!
It sounds like you’re establishing a routine, adding simple ADL’s (activities of daily living) and appreciating your progress. All the best as you continue the journey. :walking:
Happy Tuesday...hope it’s a good one for you!

Day 8 I think
Constipation is the Word of the day. My PT guy came today, said ROM was good; took off the surgery bandage OUCH. He showed me basic bed exercises that I had been doing already. Gave me tips on walking so I don’t limp as much. Am walking around a little more post potty. Pain about 7 upper thigh op leg when I take a step. Hurt this evening after PT. Time for Oxy anyway. Son out on prune juice run and I have stool softeners and laxative to escalate. So an enchanted evening ahead of me!!

Something that almost all of us experienced @cetch1. Here is an article that might help.

Day 6. Middle of the night I got up to potty, thought o how nice it’s raining and then noticed kitchen floor full of water- water hose to back of fridge ruptured!! Got the non emergency local fire department to come out and turn off water. Plumber coming tomorrow. Chaotic but I know the potty path!! And today I walked all the way to the master bedroom, brushed my teeth and gave myself a very basic sponge bath. Son off to Diabetes clinic for appointment ( he was just diagnosed a week before Xmas). Pain level walking to master bedroom (long hallway) 7 I sat on my bed for a minute. Pain in bed zero. Percocet taken 2 hours ago. Very pleased with my little walk

Thank God you didn’t slip and fall, hurting another body part.

I was one of the fortunate ones that didn't have any constipation despite the pain pills. They gave me Miralax post op in the hospital and I continued with it at home every day. As soon as I got home from the hospital I had to go and it was all good from there. Don't know if it was from the Miralax regimen but it worked for me.

Yay, happy dance. :happydance:Such a relief and probably makes your day.
Hope the rest of your day is peaceful. :SUNsmile:
@cetch1

Day 10
Was feeling down but was able to make myself a tuna sandwich for lunch (not clean up after tho). PT today a couple of standing exercises and practiced on porch stairs. He commented again on my very good flexibility. HOWEVER when he took off the bandage as I was standing with my walker, the pain was bad; I yelped and peed the floor

Oh no! The bandage removal must have been painful given your reaction, so sorry!
It’s sad you’re feeling down today. Many experience a depressed mood early on, thankfully it’s usually fleeting. There is an article on Post Op Blues in the Recovery Guidelines in case you haven’t made it through all of the info yet. Hopefully tomorrow will be a brighter day for you. :console2:
Wishing you a peaceful evening and weekend! :SUNsmile:
@cetch1

Thanks @Layla I am feeling great today- walking straighter and able to make parts of my meals. Friends called and one stopped by to make me dinner. It’s wonderful how a friend can lift you up. And all of you at Bonesmart are helping my recovery too!

cetch,

Read through a couple of times - my sense is that PT may be interfering with your recovery.

Many/most recommend no PT until recovered - wait several months.

Can you stop PT except for basic leg slides on the bed?

Are you elevating and icing several times a day for at least 45 min to an hour?

Last edited:
Day 12 I think
Haven’t been doing a lot of PT exercises as spending more time walking. I have “graduated “ myself to using the bathroom in the master suite on the other side of the house rather than the bedside commode. I am able to make very simple meals but waiting on tray for my walker rather than trying to precariously balancing oatmeal in my walker pouch. I take the pain pills every 7-8 hours (one pill) which seem to be working. I get my staples out sometime this week I think. My son has returned to work, friends drop by as they are able. It has been sunny and gorgeous out here (Northern California) and I am anxious to get back to my wildlife photography. Prob be many months as my camera gear weighs 10 pounds!’ Doing lots of icing and elevating , naps Netflix

Hello @cetch1
You’re doing well for 12 days post op. Yay for big girl toilets! :yay: That’s an accomplishment. It feels so good to set those assistive devices aside one by one. Pretty soon you’ll have a pile.

Sunny gorgeous weather sure helps the mood and daydreaming of getting back to your wildlife photography is a great motivator. Take it slow, as you are, you’ll get there without any set-backs stalling your recovery. I hope you have a wonderful week.
Happy March to you! :flwrysmile:

You are getting there friend...slowly but surely. What a wonderful occupation/hobby...whichever. I love animals, wildlife and nature in general. It is my happy place...OUTSIDE.
Weeks 3 and 4 will be better than the first two, and spring will bring renewed health and happiness.
:flwrysmile::SUNsmile:

Day 14!! Can’t believe two weeks have gone by. PT was here yesterday-new person- who advised me to go slower , keep up with the pain meds snd back off if there was any pain. I hate the narcotics- wish I could take NSAIDS. I am going 7-8 hours in between. The pain is a 7-8 if I am sitting 4-5 in bed if I do not take the pain pill so I do end up taking the pill usually at the 8 hour mark. The PT said because I had so much pain, limping for years before the op that my recovery would be slower and involve more pain. I have lower back issues as well. But all in all I feel ok and am happy with my new PT and amazingly without laxatives no constipation!

Good news! Take the meds for as long as you‘re suffering pain. Managing the pain will help you stay mobile. Take it slow, as you’re doing and don’t do anything that causes you additional discomfort. It’s very early days into a recovery that can last a full year. Slowly you will get there.
Happy Two Week Anniversary! :)
@cetch1

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
OsteoBionicGal
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom