TKR Dr Mirkin Recants RICE

Yes, that’s progress and that’s good. No need for them to push you past that 87, though, but some PTs just seem to always want more. No one is ever going to do that to my leg again.

To clarify, the PT wasn’t applying over pressure, I was doing it with a strap to ensure I wasn’t pushed past what I was comfortable with.

Had PT this morning followed by 8 week post-op with the surgeon today. ROM was 90 degrees, and 0 degree extension. He was happy with that and MUA is no longer on the table - which I wasn’t going to agree to anyhow.

Glad you had a good report to day with your surgeon, sounds like you are on you way to recovery.

Glad you spared yourself from the pain and recovery set back @CT-Mike. Just keep up those activities that don't cause you addition pain and swelling and :ice: :ice: :ice:

Today is 12 weeks post-op. Still have quite a bit more pain than I expected by this point. Additionally, when I am doing sit-stretches, when I straighten the leg I get pulsating pain on the backside of my calf. It goes away pretty quickly.

Anyone experience anything similar?

I had pain behind my knee for quite a while. Those muscles and tendons behind the knee are large so there is a big area to heal. You can ice back there, too. I found it helped.

Had my 12 week post-op visit on Thursday with the surgeon. I am still stuck at 90 degrees ROM so a MUA is scheduled for Tuesday. I debated back and forth about doing, but it seems I’m not making progress and hoping this will give me a breakthrough.

@CT-Mike So sorry you are going for MUA so early out. With a bit of patience and time that ROM will continue to increase on it's own. MUA does work for some. But you will be back to square 1 with recovery after the procedure. :sigh:

Do you still see a lot of swelling? Swelling reduces ROM. Even if you don't see outside swelling you probably still have it inside your knee. That is a small space and a little bit of fluid will restrict movement and give you a worse ROM. Do you have time before you MUA to rest your knee with added icing and elevating? You will probably find that your bend will improve without the damaging MUA. Jaycey is correct. When you have the MUA, it creates lots of inflammation in those injured, healing soft tissues, so you have to treat your knee like you did in the beginning of your recovery. MUA does help a few people, but many find that it doesn't help them, that all they needed was more time.

Had the MUA this morning, feeling pretty decent so far. More pain than prior to, but not as bad as I was expecting. Doesn’t really look like it has swollen up much either. Currently sitting with it elevated and using the ice machine.

While getting out of the shower just now, I noticed this egg on the outside of the knee. Doesn’t really hurt when I push on it - assume it is just some fluid that got displaced during the manipulation?

Still don’t have much pain to speak, and the joint feels a little freer overall. Will see what PT has to say in
the morning.

B50D9D78-10A7-4ED3-8DD0-8937A934BB85.jpeg
06EB6152-B9EA-4E1A-A907-7F1CED47CC2D.jpeg

I will send your photos to the staff meeting and see what the others have to say. My first thought would be that it's fluid, too, but I'll check with the others.

Have you tried icing it? It could be some swelling caused by the MUA.

I am using the ice machine religiously - that thing has become my new best friend.

At PT this morning I was told they were able to achieve 120 degrees ROM during the MUA yesterday.

You can expect some swelling following an MUA. Since you're indicating there is not particular pain in the joint or in the area of that bump, I'd say it probably is nothing to worry about. Continue the icing and be sure none of your therapy or activity is causing you pain beyond mild discomfort. While you do need to be up and around, your knee will need a little time for any inflammation from the MUA to settle.

I am currently 22+ weeks post-op and still having a lot of muscular pain. My hamstring right above the knee (so backside just above knee) is killing me. Feels like a severely pulled hamstring that doesn’t seem to be getting better. I asked my surgeon‘s PA about it at my last last check-up and he replied “Well, it’s been through a lot. Let’s see you back in 4 weeks and evaluate.”

I am also still having issues going up and down stairs, just have to be very slow and deliberate. When I measure my ROM at home it is 115 - 120 degrees.

@CT-Mike You may be 22+ weeks out from your original surgery. But the clock started over again post MUA. Your ROM is excellent. I would focus on icing and elevating to get that swelling and stiffness controlled.

And please don't worry about the stairs. They will be easy when that knee is healed.

I am 27 weeks post-op, and still having a lot of muscle pain behind the knee, both above and below the joint. The PA prescribed Robaxin to help with the pain. Still having quite a bit of pain in the joint itself as well. Additionally my ROM is now about 90 degrees with no pain, can get to 115 - 120 with quite a bit of pain. So next Wednesday I’m headed back to the OR to have scar tissue cleaned out and adhesions cut/broken arthroscopically.

I currently feel having the TKR was one of the worst decisions of my life - hoping that perspective changes soon.

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom