TKR crowie53 right TKR recovery

I can’t believe you were without physio for 8 weeks that’s shocking, unless you were so ill to do it.
Many don't ever do physio, just do their daily activities and recover just fine, in fact, recover without all the extra pain and swelling that physio causes.

Hi @crowie53
I’m also pleased to be able to chat too. It’s been a rough few months so far but hoping I’m going to turn that corner very soon.

I was admitted into hospital late Sunday afternoon (Oct) and stayed in A&E till the following morning (had Covid test) was then moved to an assessment ward (another Covid test) left there the following day and went to the respiratory ward where I spent the rest of my stay ( another covid test).

They had PT on this ward but they didn’t really know what to do with me. They did put me on a CPM from time to time. I was able to get out of bed to use the toilet but had to stay in bed rest of time because of the oxygen I was on. I asked for the orthopaedic physios to come and see me but I didn’t see them at all.

I was also on Rivaroxaban 15mg twice a day but they were changed whe I was discharged to edoxaban 60mg one daily For 3 months 1 month left. I was also told by my (now) physio that the anti coagulants affect the stiffness.

I have now hired a CPM for 2 weeks to help me with the bending as wellas my exercises. Today I have been to see my surgeon, who told me to push hard against the pain as we need to stop the scar tissue from forming again. He also said I need to go on stronger pain killers.I had a X-ray too just to check everything is ok. I don’t know about you but I’m getting so confused about what to do. I’m trying to stay positive but it’s hard. All the best to you x

Hi @crowie53 ! Greetings from Canada. I noticed you are from Cheshire. Have family there. Happy that you have had your surgery and it’s behind you now. Good luck in your recovery. This is my second TKR, first on other knee 6 years ago. Totally different recoveries. A bit more difficult this time, almost 9 weeks post-op, new pain after 5 weeks, but see surgeon this week so hopefully will ease my worries a bit, I hope.

Hello music lover! i have always wanted to visit Canada, it’s such a beautiful country! Happy New Knee! After my experience I doubt very much wether I would have any kind of elective surgical procedures again. Quite a lot of people on this site have had more than one knee replaced and had different experienced, it must be frustrating to not make the same progress second time around after the valuable information you must have learned the first time round. Hope your recovery improves after seeing your surgeon and getting his advice. Take care! I live in Lymm whereabouts are your family?

Hi Chantel 5, did you not get decent pain relief first time round! if you look back at a previous post of mine you can see what I was on, and because I had the catheter I had 2 really good night sleeps prior to getting up. Hopefully when you get some decent pain relief things will get easier; and the reassurance of the X-ray must help as well Do you know why you were switched from Rivaroxoban to Edoxapan was it because of side affects.

Last edited:
Hi again crowie53. Just headed to try and sleep, but wanted to say that some of my husband’s family live in Kelsall, which isn’t too far from Lymm. Good luck in your recovery!!

Morning @crowie53, my painkillers were paracetamol, codeine and liquid morphine when I was in hospital. Now at home it’s paracetamol & codeine.
I’m don’t really like taking all these different medications but they help. I don’t really have much trouble sleeping. I’ve probably had between maybe 5 to 10 painful nights.

Im sorry but Im not sure why my blood thinner medication was switched. I didn’t have any side affects from the Rivaroxaban maybe it was the cost.

Having the X-ray yesterday definitely put my mind a rest, so I’ve got a little bit more confidence. I hope things get easier too. I have the company nurse phoning me today to see how I’m getting on and this afternoon I have physio so another busy day.

How are you doing? Are you home? All the best

I initially had a bit more pain meds than you! Good news about your X-Ray though. I never take meds unless it’s absolutely essential, and it’s important
that you are on top of the pain to be able to cope. because it will make you miserable. I’m still in hospital at the moment because I have had a couple of dips in my blood readings but they are back to normal now. Take care and keep your chin up !

Hi @crowie53

Just wondered how you are doing? Are you home yet? Hope things are now a little more settled....

Hi Carmencita, still here! which is quite scary because of the Dreaded Covid! Fortunately I have tested negative four times now. I was obviously negative prior to surgery, but here they test you on first day of admission,the day 3, day 5 and weekly after that, so I had one yesterday. Hopefully home in the next couple of days.

Oh no I thought you’d be home by now! I bet you can’t wait to get home esp as you say with Covid lurking. I do hope they are treating you well and you have your pain etc under control. Best wishes

I also thought you would be home by now. I’m so sorry. How do you feel-?

Hi everyone, I was discharged from hospital on Monday, so I have been home 6 days now, but I was exhausted physically and mentally. My poor leg was so swollen because although I had some physio I had no suitable elevation to make any difference. When I got home and was able to elevate properly it caused my overactive bladder go into overdrive, and I had to use a commode overnight as I was going every half hour, so no sleep for days. Spoke to my GP and he prescribed a short course of zoplicone to help me sleep which in turn stops nocturia completely. Today I am feeling much better, don’t need any pain relief now, and i am no longer limping as I had a preop flexion contracture, I have regained my heel strike but I have a bit of catching up to do, I am seeing a physio on Tuesday and see how it goes from there.

I’m relieved you are home-I was worried not seeing any posts from you.
I am glad your pain level is ok. You have had it rough. Please allow yourself time to heal and recover! Thinking of you

Hi @crowie53

At last you're home - I bet it felt good to get in your own surroundings, although sorry to hear you’ve had trouble sleeping etc. I hope from now on the physio and resting, icing, elevating will set you well and truly on the recovery road. Hang in there!

Hi @crowie53,
Lovely to hear you’re home! wishing you the best on your road to recovery. Stay positive and I will be following your updates.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom