TKR Post op at home

Jbash99

Country
United States United States
How long was everyone on pain meds after surgery. I'm about out, can't imagine going without though.....

Right total replacement, done on Jan. 8th, 2021

How long was everyone in hospital. My surgery was at 11am on the 8th, and they sent me home, I was home on couch by 330-400pm, don't that seem crazy?????

@Jbash99
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us! :welome:

Same day surgery is becoming more common with healthy patients. Research shows patients do better at home in their on bed with uncomplicated joint replacements.

Many people are on pain meds for 3-4 months, others for only a few weeks, everyone is different.
Call your surgeon for additional pain medications.

Here is your copy of the Knee Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

@Jbash99
You'll notice that I have merged your newest posts in the December Supernovas with your original recovery thread. The team threads are for members to find others who had surgery around the same time.
For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Hi and Welcome!

This surgery causes a lot of trauma to our body, which causes a lot of pain, which is unavoidable. What you want to be careful of, in recovery, is not doing anything to cause more pain. Be very careful with your activities and any exercises that you are doing, as these can increase your pain level. As the beginning of our recovery guidelines says, “if it hurts, don’t do it.” In these early weeks you just need gentle movements and lots of rest, with ice and elevation, so your body can heal all the trauma that has been done to it.

Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.

Reposting in your thread, I answered you in another members thread:

If your OS won't provide any more pain meds contact your primary care doctor. Your pain needs to be well enough controlled that you can walk to the bathroom, get snacks etc. without being in such pain that you don't want to do it. I needed pain meds regularly for 6 weeks and then still occasionally at night so I could sleep. Also, what activities are you doing? Are you doing any PT that might be increasing your pain @Jbash99?

Yes PT, that's when I really need them.. And at night really. But he said no more after that was gone, so idk is only been 2 weeks.

Taking pain meds to get through PT only sets you up to further aggravate your knee @Jbash99. You would be much better off stopping PT right now and resting and icing. After a shoulder surgery when my OS was strictly against pain meds I had to go to my primary physician who agreed it was way to early to force me off the pain meds if I needed them. Unfortunately many doctors are running scared of the "opioid crisis" so sometimes you have to stand up for yourself when they are reluctant. I was far from ready to give up pain meds at the stage of recovery you are at, it was tough for me at 6 weeks. Hope you feel better soon.

Thank you. My primary dr is one of those who won't give out pain meds, which is fine, but when you really need them, they need to realize that. It's not like I like the way they make me feel, not sure what the big addiction is about them, but I guess something. I just want my pain under control.

How long before you could drive, with it being the right knee. I'm kinda afraid of driving.

@Jbash99,
You will notice I have moved your most recent post to your own thread form the January Jackpots thread. Please post all your questions and updates about your recovery in your own thread where you will receive more answers to your questions.

The January Jackpots is where you can find other members having surgery around the same time as you. To update your recovery or ask questions please post in this thread.

For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

How long before you could drive, with it being the right knee. I'm kinda afraid of driving.

You will not be able to drive until you are off all opioids, you are able to respond quickly to emergencies, and can slam on your brakes in an emergency.
Some are driving the first week, some do not drive for 3 months. Everyone is different.

Wow, ya it will be a couple weeks I think

I was released at my 6-week checkup but waited until my 7th to drive.

I just don't think I feel comfortable driving yet.... Idk I'm just over this whole thing, want to go back to a normal day pain free....

It's coming @Jbash99! You are still WAY early into this recovery and it's not a walk in the park. But it is life changing. Not too far in the future you will realize that the light at the end of the tunnel is really that, and not a train coming the other way!

Gosh I sure how so. All I do right now is sit around and cry and feel sorry for myself!!!!!!! Thank you!!

One or the other, or alternate them?

The meds, so I alternate them with the hydros or just Tylenol and ibuphrophen?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back