THR siobhan is in recovery

Thanks jaycey that was helpfull.

Hello @siobhan
Happy One Month Anniversary! How have you been since we heard from you last?
Hopefully you’re happy and enjoying progress. Please share....we’d love to hear.
Wishing you a wonderful week! :SUNsmile:

Hi all I'm 10 weeks post op.
I continue to have some pain and muscle weakness. I've not been great at doing pt regularly but have still improved. My focus now is trying to walk without a limp I really dont want to end up with one, so am retraining muscles not used correctly for years. It a slow process but I'm very optimistic I'll succeed.
I'm due to return to work in 2 weeks and looking forward to getting routine back.
Theres alot of walking and driving involved so I'm hoping I'll be ok.
I'm not sure if I should wait to return a while later or just go for it, any advice appreciated.

I'm not sure if I should wait to return a while later or just go for it, any advice appreciated.
The recommended time off work post THR is 10-12 weeks and then a Phased return to work. Can you do a phased return? That way you can see how it goes and add in time if you are doing OK.

No cant do phased return, it's either on or off sick.
That would be a great solution if it were possibly.
Thanks.

Hello @siobhan I hope you had a lovely Christmas! :)

I've not been great at doing pt regularly but have still improved.
You most likely will continue to improve as the BIG TIP from the Recovery Guidelines informs us -
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

In regard to your return to work - I've read here numerous times that....Once you're back, you're back. Even well intentioned work colleagues may expect you to be able to manage your normal work load because you're back, no matter what they express in advance of your return. Just something to keep in mind when contemplating your return date.

As far as the limp goes, here is a tip -
Try heel-toe walking when you're limping.
This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe.
It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.

Enjoy the week. Its almost time to flip the calendar. I’ve never been as excited to say Bye-Bye to an old year and welcome a New Year! Here’s to a happy, healthy, peaceful 2021.

:new-year-toast-smiley-emoticon:

Thanks kayla, that great advice.

Happy New Year and Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Stopping by to say Hi and see how your return to work is going. Guessing you’ve been back for a couple weeks now? Hopefully it’s working well for you and you’re not too fatigued. We‘d love to hear from you as time allows.
All the best in 2021!
@siobhan

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie