Revision THR Golfer67 Recovery Thread

You never mentioned if you were using ice. Icing is one of the best things for pain and discomfort. I iced continuously while sitting and even while sleeping in the early weeks. The recovery timeline isn't a fight, if you fight it the recovery will seem longer. All of us wanted it to be over, but it takes it's own time and you just can't fight it.

Golfer I hit 4 weeks tomorrow and am still using a cane! otherwise I limp a bit still

You’re only one month post op and that’s very early in the entire scheme of things. This recovery can take a full year, even up to two years or more for some, enjoying progress all along the way. We don’t all recover at the same rate, so please don’t allow yourself to feel down in reading someone is progressing more rapidly than you. You’re not in an unusual spot for pain / activity / sleeplessness at this point. I was one that surrounded myself with pillows of different weight & softness and found it comforting and nest like to flop a leg over this one, an arm over that one, etc. Gather up some pillows and try it. Build yourself a fort :wink:
Wishing you comfort and a relaxing weekend!
@golfer67

Today it has been six weeks since my left hip replacement so I would like to give an update on my condition. I am getting better every day and I do feel that I am on track to recover but my main problem is that I still can’t sleep due to the pain. I am okay during the day but when I get still at night the pain keeps me awake. I started doing therapy in my pool about a week ago and this has greatly increased my range of motion but has not helped my night time pain. I go back to my doctor on 10/06/20 and I am going to ask him for some type of sleeping medication. If I could just get some sleep I think I would recover a lot faster.

Oh my stars...lots of sympathy here.
A good night's sleep in a bed seemed to be one of the most elusive pieces of my recovery puzzle.
I think I still succumbed many times to "doze" in the recliner in the middle of the night after getting up and moving about as I would get aches and pains after lying still for any length of time.
Super frustrating...:sigh:

I hope your doctor can help and for me, I obviously finally got through it.

I started doing therapy in my pool about a week ago and this has greatly increased my range of motion but has not helped my night time pain. I go back to my doctor on 10/06/20 and I am going to ask him for some type of sleeping medication. If I could just get some sleep I think I would recover a lot faster.

Sorry that you’re struggling to get some sleep. Miserable, I’m sure.
If it’s pain that’s keeping you awake, as it seems you’re saying above, are you taking anything for the pain? If not, doing so for awhile longer may be what you need to do. Also, wondering about your activity level. Could you be overdoing it during the day, resulting in pain and wakefulness overnight?

Hope you get both issues resolved soon. A great rest of the week to you.

@golfer67 , That's a real bummer with the sleep issues. Sadly, that can continue for quite some time,, not the pain portion, just the restlessness at night.
I wonder, are you going to bed with a large ice pack? do you think that could still help you? I just made certain to cover the pack with a thin cloth so I didn't get a touch of frostbite while snoozing away, oblivious.
It's just a thought but why not call your OS office and tell them about your pain at night situation and get something to help now?
Why wait until the 6th? Then if what they suggest doesn't help, you can discuss it with him later next week.
So happy to read your update about making good progress otherwise, though.

If you're increasing ROM it sounds like you're making the soft tissue mad at you and it's causing the pain. What if you did nothing for a couple of days and saw if the pain went away? It would be worth it to get a good nights sleep. I used pillows to limit my movement so I didn't get in a position that made me sore when I slept.

Oh goodness, sorry to hear that sleep is hard to come by. I imagine seeing the improvements during the day and not being able to get comfy at night is a frustration. Anything that interrupts my sleep is a source of contention for me! I have no advice or answers, I am at the beginning of my recovery journey, but I truly hope you can get it sorted. A good nights sleep can make all the difference. Hang in there!

I had my first follow up appointment with my surgeon on 10/06/20. He was absolutely pleased with my progress and told me that I am doing great. He told me that my sleeping problem is normal for persons that have hip replacement surgery and that it is caused by the medication that they give me during the surgery. He said it is due to the disruption of the circadian rhythm. He said that the poor sleep usually last between four and five months then it just goes away. He did prescribe Trazodone for me but so far it has not helped.

I occasionally use 10 mg over the counter melatonin, it seems to really help me fall asleep.

Hello and Happy Friday!

Another consideration for sleep could be Magnesium. Check this out, see what you think.
Best of luck to you in catching some Z’s soon :yawn: :sleep:

Magnesium supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

Don’t count on losing sleep for that long. It may not happen. Your surgeon is pleased with your progress, maintains you’re doing well, hopefully that news is reassuring to you.

Get adequate fresh air and exercise without overdoing it. Try sipping some Chamomile Tea before bedtime if it doesn’t sound too unappealing and see if it helps. Research some healthy night time / bed time practices and give them a try. Don’t give up, sleep & peaceful nights are on their way. :sleep:
@golfer67

A belated Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Hopefully you’re sleeping a little better these days.
Take good care and please don’t be a stranger here. We love updates. :)
@golfer67

It’s been nine weeks and three days since my hip replacement. I am doing okay but I still am not happy with my progress. I still have sharp pains in my hip area and I still can’t sleep very well. If everyone else finally gets over a hip replacement then I guess I will eventually but it has been and still is a long hard recovery.

@golfer67 This is a process that takes one year or more. At nine weeks you are still in early days mode. Yes you will have discomfort and sleep problems. All temporary! Patience is prescribed!

It’s been nine weeks and three days since my hip replacement. I am doing okay but I still am not happy with my progress. I still have sharp pains in my hip area and I still can’t sleep very well. If everyone else finally gets over a hip replacement then I guess I will eventually but it has been and still is a long hard recovery.
Look at this way, there's no turning back so you're along for the ride. It gets better but it takes plenty of time. The next milepost on the trip is 3mos and I could look back then and see the progress I'd made. I'm coming up on 1 year with my right and I still get pains, but nothing like the joint pain I got rid of. Just to really cheer you up my left will be 3 years in Feb and I still get pains there too.

Sorry to hear you are still having problems with sleeping and pain. A little surprised at nine weeks that you are still experiencing pain , but just goes to show how unpredictable each of our recoveries can be. I see you are a golfer as am I. I had some minor setbacks with my second hip replacement developing a seroma that needed to be drained, but at the end of 4 weeks I managed to get 6 holes in at golf course before my legs got tired. Hip felt great though so just keep on pushing forward cause having that new hip is gonna amaze you once it’s far enough along for you to turn it loose on course.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
007Knee
Recent bookmarks