TKR I think I have pes anserine bursitis. Is it OK to do modified zumba?

Hi @szrmom

Wow. You’re on your 2nd TKR! It seems like you’re doing a great job with recovery and PT. I think taking it easier is the way to go...

Have a great day!

Hi all,

I’m going on 6 weeks and have been doing a lot of reading in the Bonesmart forum to look for answers.

My biggest frustration has been why my knee would feel swollen and tight after being on my feet for only 15-20 minutes. I ice for an hour about 4x/day and have cut my home PT to once a day and in-person PT to once a week.

My previous PT experience is the “old school” push it method. I’ve seen so many posts where just doing any PT seems harmful eg swelling and pain.

My question: as an “old timer” is it REALLY possible to get good results without PT? I’m starting to think I may need to cut back even more because my knee just swells so quickly once I’m on my feet.

Thanks to everyone for your support.

My question: as an “old timer” is it REALLY possible to get good results without PT? I’m starting to think I may need to cut back even more because my knee just swells so quickly once I’m on my feet.
Many of us never took formal PT or did any exercises. I am one of them. I had 12 knee surgeries, 2 of them kneecap removals, and 1 tkr. Even after those I never took formal PT. But, I didn't just sit around and do nothing. I used my knee as it was intended to be used by walking around to take care of my daily needs. As I healed I was able to do more. Icing and elevation were a huge part of my recovery.

Listen to your knee. It will tell you if you're doing too much by increased pain and swelling. When that happened to me, I found that resting, icing, and elevating helped. Your knee knows how to rehab itself without being told what to do.

I was blessed to have a surgeon that never pushed PT. He gave me a prescription for it, which I threw away and never went. When I went for my 3 return checkups, all he wanted was to see what my knee would do. Never one question about PT! Of course, he knew I was a single lady that had to take care of myself, so obviously he trusted that I would not be just laying around all the time.

After 12 knee surgeries, I know that I do not need PT, and neither does anyone else if they do their own daily activities. My knee recovered just fine all on its own with only my daily activities. I didn't have the terrible swelling or agonizing pain that so many have after taking formal PT either. I knew the Bonesmart way worked before Bonesmart was even thought of. My surgeries started in the early 80s and I never went to PT even back then. I just didn't see the need for it. Bonesmart was formed around 2004. By then I had already had 6 knee surgeries and rehabbed the Bonesmart way!

Hi @sistersinhim

Thanks for the replies. Prior to my TKR I was always busy on my feet, doing household tasks, gardening and, of course, working out.

Right now I'm not even able to be on my feet long enough to accomplish much since my knee starts to feel like it's filling with fluid and too tight to comfortably bend.

Can you give me a sense of how long I might need to "rest" it before I can just do my regular daily life??? I don't need to do PT but I sure would like to be able to get around a bit more.

@ihavetwins , I'm going to jump in here as well and ask you to re-read this article:
Activity progression for TKRs
That will give you some idea of what you should aim to be doing now.

This is a year-long recovery, a marathon, not a sprint, and your new knee is only just over 5 weeks into that 52 weeks. It's still a baby, so treat it gently.

I only did a bare minimum of PT exercises after my knee replacements and both my knees are strong, flexible and reliable.

My surgeon doesn't allow any formal PT at all for the first month after a knee replacement. He says your knee needs that time, to start on its journey of healing. For that month, we rest, ice and elevate our leg, and walk around the house. The walking is our exercise and we increase it a little each week.

After that month, we just go to PT once every 2 weeks, where we are shown a few new exercises to do at home each day. I did some when I remembered, which wasn't very often.

His patients all do well and achieve good ROM, as I did, and he hasn't had to do a manipulation to help with ROM for the past 4 years. I think that speaks for itself.

If you decide you want to stop going to PT, these are the only exercises you need to do - and these not to excess;
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it

Celle is correct. You are just barely starting your recovery journey. You are a little over 1/12 of the way through this year long healing. You can not speed it up but you can slow it down by trying to do too much too soon. Your main job now is to heal, not exercise your knee. Over aggressive exercising will cause your knee to swell and be more painful. Ice and elevation will help to get that swelling down.

I would do just my daily activities for the first month or so. After that I would slowly begin to add one extra activity then stop and ice and elevate. If I did OK that night and the next day, the day after I would do that activity and a little bit more. That's all. I always babied my knee until the activities didn't cause swelling and/or pain.

The best thing to do is to always listen and obey your knee. That way your recovery will be easier.

I understand the frustration you feel about the swelling. I know I am behind you by two weeks but our activity level before surgery sounds so much the same. It is so hard to take it easy when you are also trying to do household things. In a perfect life we would have all the support. I have a giant breed dog who has walked twice a day with me for nearly 8 years. She doesn't understand why I am not taking her places. I am nervous because my husband returns to work tomorrow and I will be on my own. it is not a big deal but it seems just like you say. You get up for abit to say empty the dishwasher or do a chore or two and then the swelling comes. I keep having to deal with my back flaring up as well. It always does when I sit too long or even am flat at times. very frustrating. If I did not have this forum I would be lost. thank you all

My LTKR was Sept 8 so I'm right in line with you. My knee still has swelling which limits my bend. Saw my OS this week and he's given me 3 weeks to gain more flexion otherwise he'll want to do MUA :-( Every time I do my exercises (specifically any with bending) my knee flares up inflammation and swelling...rest, ice, compression and elevation helps to a degree, but it feels like a vicious circle and I'm not winning.

Hi @RubiJane, welcome to Bonesmart! It would be great if you’d start a recovery thread so we can talk with you and help you with your recovery.

Yup, just did that! ;-)

Don't have enough posts to include a link.

Hi @RubiJane

What kind of numbers are you at that your OS would recommend MUA? Seems very extreme given you’re only at 6 weeks.

He actually didn't measure me, just eyeballed and felt how the knee & bend was.
I had physio this morning and was 90 after warming up on a pilates machine, did some stretches, IFC and ice and achieved 95 unassisted, 98 assisted. I had my PT measure my right leg at it's only 105 unassisted, it needs a replacement also.

OS has given me 3 weeks to gain more bend before he suggests MUA, but even then it seems premature with the swelling still being an issue.

You will find a list of members in the September Sapphires thread, in post #1.
Hi Pumkin....im a saphire but maybe I missed a step or a link? My op was 2 sept. Im 7 weeks post TKR and happy to share experience and ask questions....can you advise please

Eddy,
Here is a link to the September Sapphires list in post #1, you will find your username listed under September 2nd.
The September Sapphires team thread is only to see who had surgery around the same time as you. Please post to in the other members recovery threads to communicate with them.
You can share your experience here in your recovery thread.
Thank you,

@ihavetwins,

Had my 4 week check-up today, and the quote my doc said was you can't work a knee to heal, you can only rest a knee to heal. The knee is only 50% healed, and any inflammation caused by overworking it will slow down healing. I am limited to walking for 10 minutes at a time, increasing by 1 minute every other day. I can go to the store, but only to pick up a few items. I can't do a full shop. anything you do, including pt assigned exercises, should be stopped if they cause pain. Rest, elevate, and ice as often as possible, and I have my full range of motion back already. The instructions are the same for everyone.

Eddy,
Here is a link to the September Sapphires list in post #1, you will find your username listed under September 2nd.
The September Sapphires team thread is only to see who had surgery around the same time as you. Please post to in the other members recovery threads to communicate with them.
You can share your experience here in your recovery thread.
Thank you,
@Eddy - Your own recovery thread is here:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/cycling.62003/
Did you lose it? Your own thread is where you should post about your own recovery and talk to other September Sapphires.

8 weeks since my TKR and need a sanity check!

It’s been 2 weeks since I skipped PT (a major leap of faith) since finding that post-PT my knee was sore for days. I’ve been doing a few exercises at home but not pushing it (again, counter to everything competitive sports taught me). A lot of my day is trying to do normal activities with ice sessions in between.

I know my knee is still swollen and ROM is about 119 but for the most part I’m getting around the house.

My dumb question: if there’s not any pain but just the sensation of “fullness” in my knee is it ok to stay on my feet and happily putter? Even though my knee feels weird....maybe that’s just how it’s supposed to feel for months?

Thanks for any words of wisdom!

First of all, there are no dumb questions!

You can test your knee out with how long you do things, some discomfort is still to be expected, and will for a while. You don’t know how much you can do until you try, just be aware of how your knee reacts. If you find it’s too much, wait and try again at a later time.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JoeyRamone
Recent bookmarks