TKR RTHR in June - LTKR in November

CCIE

Country
United States United States
I'm a 66 year old male, fit and in good physical condition. Had RTHR June 9th, the first 2 to 3 weeks of recovery were very rough, but healing improved after that. My LTKR is scheduled for November 10th, osteoarthritis and medial bone-to-bone. Anyone had the hip and knee replacements that close together? Any comments? Thank you in advance

HI again, @CCIE ,
I've moved your post, above, from the Knee Surgery Recovery area, since you haven't yet had your knee surgery.

People who have had their surgery will still come back to pre-op, to advise and talk about their experience.

I hope your THR is recovering well. You did the right thing in getting your hip replaced first, since hip replacements is a little easier to recover from than knee replacement.

We have had lots of people who have two joint replacements close together, some on the same day, some a few days later, and some a few months later. Having two surgeries in the same year will possibly give you a double dose of the Energy drain for TKRs , but by November 10th your hip should be well on the way to recovery.

Here are some articles to help you prepare for your TKR:
I
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

I had my hip replaced about 10 months after my knee on the same side. My knee actually improved further after the hip was done. On the tough side recovery from TKR is a harder more painful road than recovery from THR.

If you see my history ,you will see I did both knees before the hips. Knees 8 months apart and hips 3 months and the hips are definitely a bit easier than knees. Not to worry though At 5 months apart you should be fine. With knee I was much more committed to rehab them with PT, whereas hips pretty much take care of themselves. There are different schools of thought on amount of PT necessary for good knee recovery ,so you should look at both approaches. If you do active Pt make sure you don’t get an out of touch tech, ie if he says no pain no gain, dump him. This is definitely wrong, and a good tech will pay very close attention to The amount of discomfort a certain exercise should cause.

There's definitely two paths and both work for people. Other than some peddling with no resistance to help with range of motion I did very little PT, just activities of daily life with my TKR and I've had really good results. I have aggressively rehabbed in the past for other recoveries but I found that early PT merely aggravated the already angry soft tissues around my knee which caused swelling, that limited range of motion. I think everyone needs to figure out what feels best for their body and not let anyone push you into something that hurts, or that you don't think helps you.

Thank you Caryl for the assistance and very helpful advice! Have a great day!

Greetings, I had my TKR 18 years ago, & it's still going well. I had my THR last July 6, & am progressing well, just a little stiffness when sitting for long periods.
On the knee I can echo the advise on stationary bike. It works well on keeping flexibilty.

Hi Scuba-Diver, I too am a diver, 66 years old too, but not been able to dive this year but hope to next spring. My orthopedic surgeon is also a diver, he is having TKR in early December, it will be interesting what he says about diving!

Thank you everyone for responding to my post, your comments have been very helpful. Stay safe!

My orthopedic surgeon is also a diver, he is having TKR in early December, it will be interesting what he says about diving!
Even more interesting to see what he has to say about TKR recovery. In most cases surgeons never see that side of this process. For some it is a real eye opener!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom