THR The other side!

I started with the cane when I realized I'd hopped up and taken a few steps without the walker. I practiced a bit with one of the visiting nurses, and she encouraged me to try the cane in the morning when I was most rested and alert. I still keep the walker by my bedside for middle of the night bathroom runs. If I get up after sitting for a bit, I have to stand there with the cane, just to straighten out a bit. I also had a bit of low blood pressure after the surgery, so movements had to be slow and mindful, which isn’t a bad idea in any event.

Day 9 and while I’m not quite running yet, I have definitely improved! I’m still using my walker, but transitioning to a cane as my energy levels allow. I’m still icing pretty much constantly, and elevating and resting. The pain is mostly in the front of my thigh, and still have some glute pain as well. I can do my heel slides now, but still can’t lift my leg entirely under its own power.

My mood is sunnier, although I will say as the day goes on I get less tolerant and, dare I say it, a little irritable! As much as my husband has been taking great care of me, I am getting frustrated at seeing the dust accumulating on the bookshelf, or the towels not being folded the way I would do it etc. Hard stuff for a control freak such as myself! But I am seriously grateful for him and our kids, who help as much as they can at ages 8 and 6.

I will say I have had to adjust my mental timeline for recovery. My surgeon, while not making promises, did lead me to believe that by the end of 2 weeks I would be footloose and fancy free. Of course I see now that is not realistic.

Oh, yes, it’s hard not to look at the dust bunnies and counters that are not swabbed to our specifications! But it sounds like you are doing really well. I also find myself getting crankier as the day goes on. Im pretty sure I started with the cane about The same number of days after surgery as you. At this point, I’m using it all day, and only have the water at night. I believe my surgeon had me dancing 3 weeks post surgery. Not. Gonna. Happen.

God to hear of your small victories. Definitely keep icing, it helps wonders. Congrats on making the transition to the cane. I know it's frustrating but you are coming along!

More progress and some new, weird pains. My back is killing me - left side, high up, kind of around/underneath my shoulder blade. It woke me up last night and I could not get comfortable. I ended up getting up early and think I might have got out of bed a little too fast - started sweating, felt lightheaded and then I threw up. Husband was very worried, I have since had some toast and vegemite (you can take the girl out of Australia etc!) and some water and the nausea has passed. My back still aches. I am thinking it might be from using my cane. I was using it quite a bit yesterday. I‘m also not used to sitting still for so long. Even though I get up almost every hour I think that might be contributing to my aches as well.

Hip itself feels good. Bit sore and getting some shooting type pains in my groin and thigh. I describe them as “zings”. I’m assuming it’s the nerves firing. Incision looks good and has been getting itchy. All in all, if I look back at the week, as @Layla suggested, I have made huge leaps forward.

Happy weekend!

Aww, I’m sorry you had that little episode overnight. It’s good to hear the nausea passed and hopefully it’s an isolated incident. If it continues, notify you Primary Care Physician or surgeon’s care team to determine whether it’s a side effect of any meds you’re on.

Your gait is changing as your hip heals. Since it’s your left shoulder and you mentioned you used the cane excessively yesterday, it sounds like you may have stressed the area leaning heavily on your cane.

I described the pains you mentioned as zingers also, it felt like a quick traveling electrical shock. It is nerves as you mentioned and I welcomed some of those odd sensations as a sign that my body was doing exactly as it should...healing! :yay:

If your incision continues to itch, check with your surgeon’s office to see if you can apply some cream or lotion, if your incision is completely closed.
I‘m also not used to sitting still for so long. Even though I get up almost every hour I think that might be contributing to my aches as well.
I was a believer in following the Activity Progression for THR from the Recovery Guidelines. I found it useful to help me stay at a safe activity level, not too much, not too little.
I hope your shoulder pain eases soon and you’re able to enjoy the weekend.
Take good care!

:hi: Your recovery sounds very much like how mine was going at this time out from surgery.
It was uncomfortable for me to sit too long it be up too long ... Frustrating.:nah:
Hip itself feels good. Bit sore and getting some shooting type pains in my groin and thigh. I describe them as “zings”. I’m assuming it’s the nerves firing
Same...zips, zaps, zings...sometimes a burning sensation.
Thankfully mostly fleeting sensations...and lessened with time.
You are doing well....keep the faith, friend.
It keeps getting better and worth all the recovery issues to get back to life with no horrid hip pain.:yes:

Sitting in most chairs was not comfortable for me. The recliner was my seat of choice since I was off my butt more and could elevate and ice at the same time.

My lower back would get tight from same position as well but taking short walks more often helped some. I also ended up putting a heating pad on my lower back at same time I was icing my hip and it helped a bit.

I hope today is a peaceful day for you.

I just read on another’s thread that you drove today for the first time. You also mentioned the seat belt at the top of your incision was the worst part. This is something I struggled with also. I started bringing a frozen gel pack with me and placing it between my leg and the seatbelt (over my incision) and felt it helped. If you don’t like that idea bring a hand towel or something you can fold and place between the seat belt and your incision in these early weeks, or for however long it bothers you. Hope this helps.
Have a good week!
@Ozinthedesert

Thank you @Layla that is a great tip. I did drive yesterday for the first time - not far, and certainly not at any speed or in traffic. I had to pick up my kids from the bus stop as they are in elementary school and have to have someone meeting them. I was able to do it and I felt safe in that I’m sure I would react quickly if needed, but I don’t think I could cope with driving a long distance and that seatbelt on my incision - ouch! It was a big day yesterday. Kids had their first day back at school, I started back at work (from home, essentially answering emails and able to take as many breaks as I need) and I’m definitely feeling it this morning. I’m tired and a little achey but overall still feel like I’m heading in the right direction. Ice and rest on the agenda for today!

I don’t think I could cope with driving a long distance and that seatbelt on my incision - ouch!

I hear you on this. I could not drive for much longer than about 30 minutes for a few months. Not only would I get antsy due to the confinement and inability to stretch much but I’d and want out! This is where the ice pack came in handy. Whether it was the icing that helped, or the mere distraction....I’m not sure.

Ice and rest today is the best idea. It’s still early days, be easy on yourself.
Have a good one!

At the end of week 2 and I think I am paying for doing too much yesterday. I am tired and those zings of pain in my thigh and groin are getting my attention. I also have an ache on the outside of my hip, similar to the bursitis pain I had pre surgery. Yesterday I was the most active I have been - I had to drive my kids to and from school and then to their swim class. None of the trips were far, 5-10 mins. The driving itself didn’t hurt (and I did take my ice pack each time), but getting in and out of the car and the small amount of walking I did was enough to wipe me out for today. Easy weekend on the agenda for me.

It does not seem like a lot when healed but you are still in the early stages of recovery so all the extra movements really add up quickly. Glad you took ice :ice:with you. Listen to your hip and try to be kind to it and yourself. Have a peaceful day.

, but getting in and out of the car and the small amount of walking I did was enough to wipe me out for today

The energy drain is real. It doesn’t take much to render us worthless in the early days of recovery. Our body is using energy to heal first, not leaving much for anything else. Natures way of forcing us to take it easy I guess. Hope you’re resting and icing and most of all...feeling better. Happy Sunday!

Week 3. I’m counting in weeks now, not days! Still improving, although still getting plenty of pain in my thigh and limping. I had my follow up today and my surgeon was surprised I wasn’t further along, but reiterated that everyone heals differently and that he tends to see a greater inflammatory response im his younger patients. He said my X-ray looked good. He is going to see me again in 4 weeks just to make sure I’m healing and continuing to improve. He also referred me to physical therapy for gait training. He thinks there are a few factors at play - I favoured the left for a long time, my body is adjusting to a slight leg length discrepancy (3mm) and as I said there is still some inflammation present. He doesn’t want me to start PT for a couple weeks and even then to maintain that I need to take it easy and just need help correcting any imbalances I have in my gait.

I had my staples removed and steri-strips applied. The incision has healed well but as the doctor says, the skin may have healed but underneath is still a war zone!

I am less fatigued and I feel more like myself. So all in all I feel like I’m on the right track!

The incision has healed well but as the doctor says, the skin may have healed but underneath is still a war zone!

Interesting your surgeon used this analogy as there is collateral damage and all patients should be reminded of that as they receive reassurance that all looks well with their incision. Recovery can take up to a full year and even longer for some. Three weeks is still very early days. Consider keeping up with the icing and elevating for swelling, if you’re not already. Try heel-toe walking when you're limping.
This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe.
It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.
Have a great rest of the week!

Please welcome me to the ODIC. It was bound to happen, if I’m honest. Try as I might, I could not quell that inner voice that drove me in my running days. I got this. I can do just a little more.
It all started this morning when I got out of bed and felt the best I have done since this all started. I did some laundry. I went to get my flu shot, driving myself and walking without my cane. I sat down periodically and iced, but then I would get back up and do something else, including going up and down the stairs (which I have barely done in the last 4 weeks). The icing on the cake came when I reacted to something my kids did and without thinking ran a down a few steps. OUCH. So now, here I sit back in the recliner, ice pack applied, totally and utterly exhausted, aching and kicking myself that I haven’t taken all the advice I have read on this forum and not pushed too hard. And my arm hurts from my flu shot!

Oh, you sound so much like I did the other day! Yeah, you overdid it but you are doing the right stuff now! I sat for way too long in the car today and walked uphill (and downhill) twice so I feel your pain. I wish we came with “idiot lights” like our cars do — they could warn us BEFORE we overdid it. Live and learn, eh?

:console2:The ODIC is definitely not a nice club...let's hope your membership is short.
Pushing too hard early days can certainly cause some setbacks and you really don't want to find yourself recovering from self induced tendenitis or the like by not allowing that soft tissue to heal before asking it to perform.
I was told - Just because you Can....doesn't mean you Should.
Glad you decided to ice and rest..listening to our bodies is important when we are trying to find the boundaries. I found some of my edges out the hard way too.:umm:
Hope today is an "easy does it" kind of day.
:ice:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties