TKR One Year Post Surgery

@allin1 I agree with you, I'm also very careful and still kinda "baby" my knee. Yesterday I tried to kneel on a soft bed to reach a light bulb but "fear" and remberance of my last attempt to kneel prevented me from doing so - silly really as unless we try we won't know if we can or not :groan: Hope all is going well with you xx

@partialfixFeb :wow: your legs and knees look great, definitely heading for a tan ... what a difference, I can live with a silver/white line, at the moment I have a dotted red one where in some places it has diminished .
Dieting is hard when we have to reply solely on calorie intake, I try to walk at least 30 mins per day - I tried intermittent fasting for a few days but found I missed eating breakfast, so now I just use an app called. My fitness pal
And limit my intake to 1200 cals per day - On normal days I usually only eat a yogurt and an apple for dinner ( between 7-8 pm) my main meal being at lunchtime . Weekends I allow myself wine and dessert ( one must enjoy life too) I've lost about 1kg every week so far only started 2 weeks ago - I needed to as was feeling the weight on my knees ( plus it's getting time for beach wear :yikes: )
Good luck with your recovery and your diet too xxx

@Sara61 Good advice. I'll download the app - thanks for the inspiration! It was decided at last night's book club meeting that our annual beach trip will now be in July instead of September so there's some motivation to get back on track with eating healthier!

:flwrysmile: :wave: Another month has flown past and now at 9 months post-op surgery the pain/blues, etc. are a distant memory. I can honestly say that it was "worth it":yes!: I still have a faint click - it's more noticeable in the swimming pool but my day to day, not at all. Stairs, I can now walk up and down without even thinking and feel confident enough to carry an armload of stuff without trying to grab for a handrail and fearing for my life.
Shopping with the girls has become fun again ..( if only we could ditch the masks :heehee:) but my DH is happy as he knows I cannot stay in the mall too long as I feel suffocating wearing it :rotfl:
Hopefully, in the not too distant future I can get my right one done, however it may be a couple of years wait, but as my new left knee feels so good ...it's a wait worth waiting for xx
@Hoppy Nanny and @Tykey I'm looking forward to reading your updates
Happy Healing to you all reading this :friends:xxx

Hopefully, in the not too distant future, I can get my right one done
I found that the more my TKR knee healed and got stronger, the less my old knee hurt. So far, I see no need for a replacement in it! I pray it continues that way!

Great news @Sara61
So glad you are feeling all the benefits from that TKR.... I’m in much the same position... even forgetting that my hip & knee were done last year!!!

Hoping the pandemic is not hindering you too much... it’s a strange new world, isn’t it???

much love
Chrissie x

@Hoppy Nanny Hi Chrissie
Great to hear from you and great that you are progressing so well.
Yes, who would have thought last year after our surgeries that plus 6 months the world would go into a pandemic.
In my case, it probably helped with my healing as being in lockdown made myself take things easier with plenty of "me time". The hardest part is not actually knowing when I'll get to see my daughter... as you know Portugal has been put on the "banned" country from the UK for travel despite England having triple the cases than Portugal.
I hope things in your "neck of the woods" are calmer - sending a virtual hug to you, Chrissie, keep in touch :roseshwr: Love Sarah xx

Today celebrates 1 year after surgery, :yes!: looking back at my earlier posts what a rollercoaster of a ride the earlier days were,:good-bad: however with the help of all the BoneSmart crew and virtual friends whom helped me enormously in my recovery, I can honestly say it was the BEST decision I ever made having my knee replaced.
My life now is back to normality, infact my operated knee is now the stronger of the two, I no longer have pain and I am now able to manage the stairs normally both going up and gojng down and walk endlessly whilst shopping or out with my dogs:dogwalk:
My initial worrisome "click" is still present, on the whole I choose to ignore it, but from time to time it makes it's presence known however it's now just a noise and hopefully one day it will be gone but if not - such is life.:roseshwr:
I haven't mastered the art of kneeling, it is a task I avoid, I've tried several times on different surfaces both hard and soft and neither were a pleasant experience, ( it's a great excuse not to have to look under beds etc :heehee:)
I sleep extremely well, (probably far too much) :sleep:and have no discomfort upon waking.
I know in time my other knee will need to be replaced, but in the meantime I will enjoy my new found freedom.

I hope others reading my post will see some Light at the end of the tunnel. No two knees are the same and no recoveries either, some take longer ( depending on the state of the knee prior to surgery/weight/age etc etc) others faster. I believe having a positive attitude, using good old common sense and following the BoneSmart guidelines gets us greater results in the end.

Having recently been asked would I do it again " Hell Yes in a flash" :flwrysmile:
So my heartfelt Thanks to you all for getting me this far xxx

Last edited:
Happy One Year Anniversary, Sara!
Great milestone, wishing you many happy adventures with your new knee.
Sending a celebratory hug your way. :)
@Sara61

Congrats on your 1-year-old knee that is a success story!

Glad to know you are doing so well at one year out post knee replacement.
Happy Sunday.:happydance:

Thank you for the update. To hear that it does get better gives me such hope. I really appreciate the Bonesmart crew and all of the brave folks willing to share the highs and lows of this monster procedure.

Congrats Sara, so glad it all is working out. I really feel for the people on here, who have had a super harsh time. It is a rough surgery for just about everyone and then if you get extra problems, like infections, it is almost unbearably hard. I love reading positive outcomes, like your 1 year anniversary, because my mantra has been, this to shall pass.

Congratulations on your first anniversary! What a great read! It was fascinating to read the thread in its entirety. It has helped me understand and accept what is normal in recovery. I'm at three weeks post-surgery today and can relate to many of the things you described early on--the search for the right combination of meds, difficulty sleeping, etc. But what shines through, virtually from the beginning, is your positive attitude (and your sense of humour).

And thank you for posting updates even as you thought less and less about your knee. That was valuable too. I look forward to a time when I am not thinking about my knee.

My ambition prior to my knee surgery last year was to hike to the start of a waterfall high up in the Peneda Geres National park mountains in tbe North of Portugal, today I ACCOMPLISHED it, my knee behaved perfectly, was stable and firm, both on the steep climb up and precarious climb down. I now can honestly say the hard after surgery pain and the restless months were worth it.
Photo attached, me walking beside the levada ( water irrigation channels) and the start of the waterfall and view of our village below.:yes!:

Attachments

• IMG-20201022-WA0000_copy_600x800.jpg
    IMG-20201022-WA0000_copy_600x800.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 290
  • 20201022_101117_copy_600x1067.jpg
    20201022_101117_copy_600x1067.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 272
  • 20201022_103347_copy_600x1067.jpg
    20201022_103347_copy_600x1067.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 265
  • 20201022_103038_copy_600x1067.jpg
    20201022_103038_copy_600x1067.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 288
  • 20201022_102223_copy_600x1067.jpg
    20201022_102223_copy_600x1067.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
Sara61 congratulations!!! So happy to read your post, especially this early in the day since it will help me keep my positivity all day long :yay: you definitely are the light at the end of the tunnel for many of us, and for that I thank you! Wishing you well

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back