TKR Questions concerning knee replacement

sukay

Country
United States United States
Hello all - I am in the process of evaluating a TKR for a valgus knee. Any advice on what I should ask the surgeon or tips for pre and post op period. I realize he will have to do a lot of work, so based on some of what I've read here, I'm probably looking at a longer, maybe more painful recovery. If anyone has had a valgus knee replaced I am interested in your experience. Thanks.

Hello @sukay - and :welome:

Recovery from a knee replacement is a long process. It takes a full year for all your tissues to heal completely, although you will be able to do most things long before that.

It may be that your initial recovery is a little slower, but probably only by a couple of weeks. Nobody recovers fast and most people are able to go back to work after about 12 weeks.

Here is some reading to help you:
If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

Last edited:
Thank you Celle, those links will be very helpful. I am also very interested in hearing from anyone who may have had a knee replacement with a valgus (knock-kneed) knee. I have read that those are a small percentage of surgeries and more difficult. If there is anyone who has had surgery on that type of knee, I am very interested in how it went. Thanks.

sukay; hello and welcome. I had my 1st tkr in Feb. I was knock kneed in my left leg. My OS straightened my leg out when he did my surgery. I had always been knockkneed ever since I was a kid. I asked my OS prior to surgery if he could straighten my leg and he said he could. I am so happy my leg is straight now. It was no problem and no more painful than a regular tkr. Hope this helps; Doodlebug

Can you tell me where you read that knee replacement for a valgus knee is more difficult?
I don't think you need to worry about that because, although it may involve re-balancing of some of your knee ligaments, that is often done during a knee replacement anyway.

There are three compartments to your nee - lateral (outer), medial (middle) , and patello-femoral.

1597623264055.png

Having a valgus knee is less common than having a varus knee, but it shouldn't present a problem to an experienced surgeon.
It usually happens when the cartilage in the lateral (outer) compartment of the knee has failed. That leads to a smaller gap on that side of your knee than there is on the medial side.

1597623412436.png

It's possible that your surgeon may recommend just replacing the lateral compartment of your knee, in a partial , or unilateral knee replacement (PKR).

If you decide to go for that, do make sure that your surgeon has a great deal of experience in doing partials, as they demand a certain skill set.

Also, insist that, if your surgeon sees any signs of osteoarthritis in another compartment of your knee, he/she will be prepared to do a Total Knee Replacement (TKR). Unfortunately, a lot of PKRs fail earlier than they should, because arthritis has spread to the other knee compartments.

In spite of the advertising in favour of a PKR, there is actually very little difference in recovery between the two types of knee replacement. In almost every case, having a PKR will not give you a faster or easier recovery than having a TKR.

Celle - I am aware of the mechanics of my valgus knee. My arthritis is the problem and progressed over time so I am positive it should be replaced. The other knee is beginning to go now as well.
In researching a tkr for a valgus knee I found several research articles. Unfortunately, the site will not let me post links. However, I found several from the NIH from the bone and joint journal.
I just want to be sure I understand the process/possible outcomes enough that I can ask the right questions. I really appreciate your input on a pkr. Thank you.

Doodlebug - thank you for your response also. I appreciate hearing from someone who has had the surgery. Best wishes

In researching a tkr for a valgus knee I found several research articles. Unfortunately, the site will not let me post links.
If you want to post a link, copy it from the address bar of the site you're on, then come back to the box you're posting in.

Click on the "Insert Link" icon in the toolbar at the top of the posting box - the one that looks like two parts of a linked chain -
Capture.JPG

This box will come up:
Insert link box.JPG

Paste your copied link address where it says "URL" and then click on Insert.
I've just inserted the link to this page.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/knee-surgery-pre-op-area.61467/#post-1432454

"

Thank you. I will try that.

@sukay , would you like us to change your thread title for you? At the moment you've used the name of the area where people post before they have knee surgery.

Just post what you'd like your new thread title to be and we'll change it for you.

Hi Celle - would something like "Questions concerning knee replacement" be more appropriate? Thanks

Sure. That sounds fine and I've changed your thread title for you.

Hello all - I think I have found an OS that I like and he says the valgus knee is not a problem, So now to decide when to schedule. I live in Austin Texas and our positivity rate is less than 5 so there isn't much virus in the community. However, to be frank, I am nervous about entering the hospital for an elective surgery during the pandemic. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.
Thanks.

@sukay - found your thread today and wanted to follow up to see if you have had your knee replacement or are still considering it. Both my knees were valgus and replaced 8 1/2 years ago. Very thankful for having done it and lovin' my straight painfree legs.

Hi Night Quilter - thank you for checking. Yes I had my right knee replaced in October 2020. It went well and it is nice to see a straight knee. However, I have had right lateral foot drop and is worse since the surgery. Both the OS and my physiatrist tell me it just takes time, but might not get better. My right knee still aches at the end of the day, but I know that shouldn't last.
The arthritis in my left knee is worse now but that replacement will have to wait.

So glad your recovery has been good Sukay! I am sorry you are having more difficulty with the foot drop issue. As the healing progresses, hopefully pressure on the nerves will be reduced and you will develop more control. You should start noticing less aching in the knee in the coming months. It really takes about a year for full healing and I know many people, myself included, continued to gain flexibility and ROM well into the second year. Keep us posted on how you are doing!

Thank you. All good to hear. Yes, I will let you know.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562