THR TomT in recovery

Great update! Thanks for sharing.
And to think it’s going to get even better. :happydance:
Enjoy the rest of the week!
@TomT

Thanks guys for all your replies, its interesting to know that the implant is about as heavy as the bone they took out. I'm the kind of person that will get in the pool and float on my back and sun bathe so its very easy for me to stay above the water with out movement but i'll find out this weekend if that has changed and give you guys and update. I'm definitely getting stronger everyday so I'm excited to see how I come along in the next few months.

Hey guys today I'm feeling pain in my left hip joint, did any of you experience this during your recovery? I did ask my surgeon when I first saw him if there were anything wrong with my left hip and he said no. I'm assuming maybe the pain because my gait has changed since the replacement but the pain is enough to be annoying while i'm sitting on the couch and i'm feeling a bit nervous about it because I noticed there are more than a few people who frequent this forum who have had both hips replaced.

I'm assuming maybe the pain because my gait has changed
Everything has changed. You are carrying your weight totally differently now. If your surgeon says your left hip is fine please don't worry. Down the line you might need a second THR. But for now focus on your gait and let things balance.

Thanks Jaycey, its just a little worrying because right now I'm actually sitting on the couch icing my left hip and taking ibuprofen for the left hip when my right hip was the one replaced. I'm just worried that i'm doing something that is going to cause arthritis to form in the left hip also.

Unfortunately there is absolutely nothing you can do to prevent arthritis from developing on that hip. Many of us had a totally clear x-ray the day after our first THR and then a few years down the line had the second one replaced. In my case it was a four year gap.

Hello, Happy Two Month Anniversary, Tom.
Hopefully you’re feeling better since the last time you posted. Please let us know how you’re doing as time allows.
A great week to you!
@TomT

Thanks Layla I can't believe it's been two months already. This week is the first week I've returned to field work. I'm a government auditor and I've been doing online work for the last two weeks but this week I decided to venture out into the field. I didn't even take my cane with me. I'm really excited and happy with the way my leg has held up so far. Today it's raining really hard so I was very careful with my steps to make sure I didn't slip. My leg feels strong I can't wait till they open the gyms here so I can begin using the elliptical. The one complaint I've had this week is that my shoes don't fit so well anymore since I've removed the orthopedic lift I used to wear from my right shoe

Wonderful report. You might want to get some new shoes and not just because of the lift but if you were limping or walking unevenly before surgery the shoes might have worn to reflect that and this could cause issues now. Many people find a lot of uneven wear on their pre operative shoes and find getting new even soles helps them.

Agree with leejaa on the new shoes, think that will be helpful. It might just be me but you might want to keep your cane handy when out and about at work, just to be on the safe side. If you're walking on uneven surfaces and dealing with rain you may tire easier plus it would be a little extra support. But you do sound to be doing great!

Hello Tom,
I’m joining the chorus of “please consider purchasing new shoes”. I believe you’ll notice and appreciate the difference and comfort in replacing shoes with your old gait pattern worn into the foot bed.

What a great update! Thanks for sharing, you‘re doing well. Keep up the good work and stay in touch.
I hope this week is a good one! :wave:
@TomT

Hey thanks for the suggestion guys, you're right I looked at the bottom of my shoes today and sure enough the bottom of the right shoe looks to have worn differently. I plan to buy some new shoes as soon as possible. My issue with the shoes not fitting is a bit more strange than that. Because my injury happened while I was still growing and I ended up with one leg longer than the other I also have one foot that is bigger than the other by at least a half shoe size. It never seemed to be an issue when I had the orthopedic lift in the shoe, both of my shoes fit nicely, but now that I've taken it out the right shoe is too big and it feels like my foot is just flopping around in there lol. I bought some shoe inserts this morning and put them in my shoes it helped a bit. I did consider to take my cane with me but I thought it might be difficult to carry my bag and my water can and my cane into the job site. So far I have to tell you that my leg has been handling it well. I probably could have ditched the cane a few weeks ago but I didn't have the confidence in the leg yet to do it.

Hi Tom,
I would address the shoe issue soon because it could throw off your gait. Especially given your foot is flopping around in one of your shoes. You’ll be engaging different muscles trying to keep it on.

Do you realize some stores will sell two different size shoes? It’s called a “Split Shoe Order” I just read it online and it mentioned Nordstrom, LL Bean, Birkenstock and Healthy Feet store. Interesting, huh? You may want to do some online research or make a couple phone calls because there are policy requirements.

Good Luck, stay in touch and have a great rest of the week!
@TomT

Wow thanks Layla, I was wondering what I was going to do about that. I even considered just going in to walmart or target and getting different sizes of the same shoe, but that sounds like a much better option. I'll probably order them tonight so that I can have them for next week.

You’re welcome, Tom.
Consider having your feet measured so you know the exact difference in size.
I’d also research the stores policy through phone calls, or online, as it may save you time in the long run rather than deal with returns.
@TomT

Happy to hear your leg is handling being back at work ok. Just an fyi, I had a cane that I purchased prior to surgery that folded up and had a band that kept it from popping open. I got mine specifically for a trip we took out west, I could use the cane to get around the airport then onto the plane, fold it up and throw it in my backpack purse so it didn't bounce around during flight. But happy you're doing good.

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope all is well since we heard from you last month.
Wishing you only the best as you continue to heal and gain strength.
Have a wonderful weekend!
@TomT

Thank you Layla, wow I can't believe time is flying by so fast. Since last month I have made some improvements for sure, but just like that funny recovery curve shared on this forum i've had some set backs but overall still improving. I did end up getting new shoes that are more proper for my miss match feet thankfully. Today I even noticed that I went right up four flights of stairs with out feeling any pain or anything in my leg. I would say that overall my main issue lately is that when I go to work I have to sit for a while and my leg gets stiff. Last week I got up from a seated position and my leg was super stiff but several people were looking directly at me so I forced myself to walk straight with no limp, this caused a lot of soreness, I ended up back on the couch sitting on some ice for several days to get back to normal. I wanted to ask how long did it take you guys before you were able to stop icing? I thought going on my third month I was done with the icing but I was wrong about that.

Last week I got up from a seated position and my leg was super stiff but several people were looking directly at me so I forced myself to walk straight with no limp, this caused a lot of soreness, I ended up back on the couch sitting on some ice for several days to get back to normal.

The more assured your co-workers are that you’re healed, the more they’ll expect from you. Take. it. slow. and if any of them question your progress tell them you’re only three months into a recovery that can last a full year, even longer for some.

As far as icing goes, it can go on for months longer if you’re dealing with pain and swelling. So ice away! :ice: Also, if at all possible, take more frequent breaks at work just to walk for a minute or two so you don’t get as stiff. Drink lots of water and you’ll have to make lots of trips to the restroom and you’ll get your walking in. :wink:

Good to hear you purchased new shoes. Hope they’re comfy.
Have a great Sunday and week to come!

Thanks Layla I think you're right. I'm currently staying home from work today. My back is very irritated because it's adjusting to the new length of my leg. Id like to ask anyone who frequent this board who had their leg slightly made longer during the surgery, does the feeling of your muscles and tendons return to normal? Right now I constantly feel a sense of my leg muscles that they were stretched, I feel it in the tendons under my knee cap as well. The first few months of recovery I thought maybe that just goes away but three months later I'm still feeling it. I remember the doctor told me he stretched it as much as my soft tissue would allow. I hope one day I won't feel this anymore

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562