THR Dobbie1070's Recovery Thread

Dobbie1970

Country
United States United States
Haven’t been able to log on until now. Main issue is swelling below (further down from) the incision. I think I may have been up too much today.

Hi @Dobbie1970 and :welome: to recovery.

I've moved your post from your pre-op thread and started this recovery thread for you.
Please post updates on your progress on this thread from now on.

Here are our recovery guidelines to help you:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Congratulations on your new hip and welcome to recovery. Lots of good information in the articles. Try to concentrate on a slow and steady approach with plenty of rest with ice and elevation. It really works best. Have a peaceful evening.

Welcome to Recovery and congratulations on your new hip! Ice and elevation should help with pain and swelling. Rest and take it easy. Your body just experienced a controlled trauma. Let the healing begin, you’re on your way to a brighter future. :SUNsmile:
Wishing you lots of comfort.
@Dobbie1970

Congratulations on your new hip, @Dobbie1970

I am also a swimmer and discovered aquatic physical therapy and used it after one knee and both my hips. I also went to the pool on my own and did the exercises and then just started walking. It was a great way to strengthen and regain my mobility with minimal chances of hurting myself. I would practice walking up and down the steps in the pool and hot tub without fear hurting myself if I fell.

Hello everyone and thank you for welcoming me to the other side. Last night when I got up for the bathroom, I could tell that I had turned some sort of corner. It was probably my best night sleeping (two 5-hour stretches).

I had to back off one of the bed exercises which really caused some trouble, but other than that, the advice to rest, ice, elevate and take the Rx has been the most helpful.

My two week followup appointment is next Tuesday 9/8.

Blessings, Dobbie1970

Great update and a smart move to stop the exercise that caused trouble. Try it again in a week or so and see how it feels. I am jealous retroactively of your sleep. Sleep was always my worst thing for weeks on end. Wonderful that you had two good blocks of sleep. Much healing happens when sleeping and so good for our exhausted bodies. Have a peaceful evening. :flwrysmile:

Thanks for putting words to how this surgery feels emotionally. Before the operation, I grieved the upcoming loss of this body part. That femur head had served me well for over 70 years. I thought about my mother and that little femur growing inside me and her. So I wondered if I should talk to someone about these feelings. Then I finally got logged on and found your words. Thanks Layla!

Aww, I fully understand as I’m sure many others do also. I had a quiet little cry in bed the night before my surgery thanking God for the hip he gave me and the 60 yrs it served me well.

I had another “tearful moment” post op the first time I saw my bloodied bandage in the mirror just hours after my surgery. It was my first surgery ever and it was like a reality slap looking at my reflection and realizing all that transpired while I was under anesthesia. My thought was “this really just happened”.

Joint replacement is a big deal and given the choice most all of us would prefer not to lose our natural hip. I’ve learned to be thankful for the miracle of THR as it’s given me my life back. Are there concerns that go along with an artificial joint? Yes, but we have no guarantees about anything in life so I will continue to move forward with a thankful, grateful heart and the hope this prosthetic will last my lifetime. I wish the same for you!

Please stop by anytime you need support, encouragement or advice and we’ll do our best to help.

A wonderful holiday weekend to you!
@Dobbie1970

Thank you for your empathic response to my emotions over getting a new hip. Your reply means a lot to me. I apologize that it has taken several days to get back to you.

It was great finding your personal reply!

Happy Fall ,
Dobbie1970

You‘re very sweet, Dobbie, and you’re welcome. It’s a special day...Happy One Month Anniversary! I hope you have a lovely weekend and a beautiful Autumn. :)
@Dobbie1970

Checking in on week 8 following the THR. It was soooo warm here in north Texas Yesterday that I was able to get back in the pool for the first time Since surgery 8/24. It was delightful and we will be finding a heated facility to use Until next year. Therapy consists of walking and a digital program provided through our insurance.

:hi: Thanks for stopping by with an update. It’s nice to hear from you. Glad you were able to enjoy the pool yesterday. It seems you’re doing well and at only eight weeks post op it’s going to get even better. :yes!:
Stay in touch and have a great week!
@Dobbie1970

A belated Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Wising you many relaxing swims:swim: and a great end to the month of October.
All the best!
@dobbie

Hello, Happy Three Months to you!
Enjoy the rest of the week and have a lovely Thanksgiving!:flwrysmile:
@Dobbie1970

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• sistersinhim
    Staff member since March 20, 2017
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics