old scars and new scars

Status
Not open for further replies.

skiagain

During my pre op visit they told me that my scar from the TKR will be slightly curved to the inside of my knee cap in order to keep it from being to close to the other surgical scars on my knee. This made me wonder a bit. Has anyone else had this situation? Thoughts?:fdbk:

Loads of people! Are you having anxious concerns about it? Because you shouldn't. The surgeon will be experienced enough to deal with what is a very common situation.

Yes, we've had a number of folks here who have had to deal with old scars. The surgeons know what they are doing, so don't give it a thought.

I have to admit that I hate to look at my knees!!! I never wear shorts ever--or short skirts either. the other day when I was at the pool, someone had the nerve to come up to me and ask me about my knee scars!!! I told her to MYOB!! Yikes what next, will we have to post our ailments onthe web?

I am trying to keep the tkr quiet--I don't want anyone I work witha t ski school to know about it--but, it is tough in a small town. At least I don't have to explain myself to total strangers!!!

skiagain,
Welcome to Bonesmart! I had BTKR and both my scars start out straight and curve in medially. I asked the OS about it and he said by curving it inward medially he did not have to cut another 1.5 inches. That is good with me!
What kind of skiing do you do? I love to downhill ski in winter, and was able to ski all winter this year with my season's pass to Loon Mt in Lincoln, NH. Everyone has been so very supportive and pleased for me to be able to return to skiing. I used to be an instructor at the Mtn for 7 years part time. My husband is still an instructor and is a trainer for new hire instructors every year. I hope your TKR experience is positive! Work hard and it will be worth it!

Oh Crystal that is interesting about the curving scar. The one I have on my left knee definitely curves inward, and it's bothered me that it does. I wonder if that's why? It's also cut higher at the top than the right one was.

The right scar is very straight and pretty smooth. The newer left one is still so red and scary looking, I was really disturbed last night about it. I've now started putting Mederma on it, to hopefully make it less ugly. It seems that the incision was not closed as well on left as on the right, so there is kind of a stretch mark type of gap in the scar. Oh, I could go on and on about this. But really, what does it matter? I can walk!!! :bow:

Thanks for your thougths, I wouldn't say I am nervous about the scarring- I kind of think of my scars as battle wounds. I guess I was worried about the strength of the skin in those areas. The arthroscopy scars I have which have been used three different times are more tender and "thin" is the best way to describe them. I am now remembering the the PA said that another reason to keep scars from being too close to each other is to ensure that blood supply is not disturbe in certain areas. After another pain filled night of not such great sleep I am ready for whatever scars will bring relief.

Small town living-I keep getting comments like,"But your so young!" or " Yeah, I know what you mean I had to have my knee scoped last year." I guess this goes along with the fact that many people out there don't get what a TKR means.

Thanks for this post. I wondered what my 2 OS's were looking at and plotting the line of...now I know. He had told me it was due to previous scars, but I pretty much thought it still would be straight. Now I know not to expect it!

I sure had that problem given between the knees I had 8 surgeries. My OS big concern with old scars is healing due to the fact that the blood supply can be compromised. He did have to cross one old 1 and things went find, in fact that spot is one of the few areas that did not keloid.

They also like to avoid old scar tissue.

Simon

My surgeon just cut right up next to the old scars so it looks like one somewhat wider then usual scar. I've had my knee opened up three times before the TKR. I think how they cut all depends on the type of scar you have on your knee now.

My left knee scar is straight as an arrow and so when I woke up from my RTKR I thought maybe the surgeon had been drinking!:ch-w:When he talked to me he explained that I had old scar tissue that they had to go around and then I remembered the "joys of my childhood!" I broke my knees open so many times when I was a kid that I lost count. :D It was usually my right one that got the most abuse. We would do dare-devil stunts with our bikes and platforms that we would use to fly off. Needless to say, I went through many pairs of pants because of torn up knees! Ahh, the good old days.:wink:

I have three scars on each knee. Three puncture scars from recent arthroscopes. A few are straight and a few are curvy. Looks like someone was trying to write their name

I have old artho scares on both knees and two large scares on left knee,it could be worse though as they used same scar for three surg., and new one for TKR.Both about 7 inches long one right down middle other one inside knee., my so called friends at work call it my ugly knee.

Well, for my LTKR, I was surprised to see my surgeon had "recycled" my old ACL scar. It is a nice curved number. When I asked, he said it was a very old scar, and better to have one zipper than two. It worked for me!

My left knee scar is straight as an arrow and so when I woke up from my RTKR I thought maybe the surgeon had been drinking!:ch-w:When he talked to me he explained that I had old scar tissue that they had to go around and then I remembered the "joys of my childhood!" I broke my knees open so many times when I was a kid that I lost count. :D It was usually my right one that got the most abuse. We would do dare-devil stunts with our bikes and platforms that we would use to fly off. Needless to say, I went through many pairs of pants because of torn up knees! Ahh, the good old days.:wink:

LOL I remember those days! I had these honking big scabs that were disgusting, if I knew then what I knew now, lol!:hehe:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Celle
    MODERATOR EMERITIUS