THR THR June 30, 2020

Mauro

Country
United States United States
This is my 11th day post op after left THR. So far so good with the recovery process except for extreme pain behind the left knee specially at night for the last two nights.. wondering if some one else has had the same experience...

:welome:Welcome to BoneSmart!
Thanks for joining us and congrats on your new hip. Experiencing discomfort or pain in the knee is quite common. Depending upon the approach your surgeon used, the knee is often manipulated rather aggressively during the dislocation process. If you’re not icing your knee already, I suggest icing it along with any other areas causing you pain. There is an article on ICE in the Recovery Guidelines below. Please read through the articles as they’re short and very informative. Let us know if you have any questions.

Stop back often, we’d love to support you on your healing journey! :)

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

thank you for the quick response.:) I will check out all the other information!!!’

@Mauro I did have that knee pain and had forgotten all about it until you mentioned it! I think I adjusted my pain meds, and put a pillow under my knees. I also had generalized knee pain for the right hip, and a wise member advised me, "ice where it hurts!" And that worked.

Layla gave you a whole lot of really good reading-- there will be a test! :wink:

Thank you!! I did start reading and will be ready for the test! :)
I have been using the pillow under the knee but it does not help.. pain increases with the pressure of having the pillow under it. I just started to ice it and will follow all other recommendations! Thanks again!!

Ice for at least 45-60 minutes several times per day. Icing decreases any swelling that is causing pain. Hope this eases soon!

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. Definitely icing the area behind the knee did help last night! Pain was less severe. The plan is to continue icing it off and on today and see how it goes tonite!!

:thumb: Awesome!
That ice is a little miracle worker, isn’t it? And it’s FREE :wink:
Hope today is a good day! :SUNsmile:
@Mauro

Day 23 post op left THR - Overall doing well. Started to take short unassisted walks yesterday (no cane) during the day. Hip feels good. Some pressure but no pain. The issue is restlessness at night... I still get some hip pain and getting very little sleep as I am constantly moving trying to get in a comfortable position which I can not find. My leg feels unconfortable.. like growing pains.. taking motrin every 4 to 6 hours and that helps with the hip pain but still very restless. No big issues during the day.. any suggestions for the night time? Thanks

Day 23 post op left THR - Overall doing well. Started to take short unassisted walks yesterday (no cane) during the day. Hip feels good. Some pressure but no pain. The issue is restlessness at night... I still get some hip pain and getting very little sleep as I am constantly moving trying to get in a comfortable position which I can not find. My leg feels unconfortable.. like growing pains.. taking motrin every 4 to 6 hours and that helps with the hip pain but still very restless. No big issues during the day.. any suggestions for the night time? Thanks
My surgery was 6/29. I too have the restless feeling. I got some relief with manual massage of the thigh with my hands and foam rolling my calf muscle. Icing has been very helpful. I chase inflammation around everyday With icing. I totally get the trying to find a comfortable position. I have been using a foam wedge between my thighs. This morning I woke up laying on the surgical hip. There’s been so much tissue disruption that I figure it’ll just take us so time. My dogs aren’t getting much sleep either. Lol. I continue to have the episodic knee pain. I think it’s two fold. The bruising from surgery and compensating for the post surgicalhip pain. My knee is trying to make itself a mobile joint. Icing the knee helps. As does concentrating on good form when I walk.

My surgery was 6/29. I too have the restless feeling. I got some relief with manual massage of the thigh with my hands and foam rolling my calf muscle. Icing has been very helpful. I chase inflammation around everyday With icing. I totally get the trying to find a comfortable position. I have been using a foam wedge between my thighs. This morning I woke up laying on the surgical hip. There’s been so much tissue disruption that I figure it’ll just take us so time. My dogs aren’t getting much sleep either. Lol. I continue to have the episodic knee pain. I think it’s two fold. The bruising from surgery and compensating for the post surgicalhip pain. My knee is trying to make itself a mobile joint. Icing the knee helps. As does concentrating on good form when I walk.

Thanks for sharing. Tried the manual massage and the icing which I had stopped couple of days ago. It did bring form relief. I do try to lay on non surgical hip and can only stay on that position for about 10 minutes then I have to reposition.. and on the surgical hip I can only last a couple of minutes and I start feeling pain on the hip area and also lots of pressure. I agree that will all the tissue disruption this will take some time to pass. Read the "Sleep Depravation" article Layla posted on the Hip Recovery Guidelines.. I am totally a member of the night walkers!!. I understand a bit more why the restlessness specially during the night. Today I did most of my walking unassisted and it felt pretty good... using the cane only for safety. Now I am preparing for the night... hoping I can get some needed sleep..

:wave:new hippy, and congrats for getting on the recovery road so you can get back to healthy and happy :happydance:

The issue is restlessness at night... I still get some hip pain and getting very little sleep as I am constantly moving trying to get in a comfortable position which I can not find. My leg feels unconfortable.. like growing pains.. taking motrin every 4 to 6 hours and that helps with the hip pain but still very restless
I had this issue for several months post op....legs never seemed comfy for long in any one position.
Hence, very hard to get good consecutive hours of sleep.:bored:
Nightstalker, yep. Power naps were my saving grace and often I spent nights in recliner as that did seem easier to get comfortable than the bed.
Sorry I'm not lending alot of helpful advice...just commiseration.
Trial and error was my strategy and not certain if I ever resolved it. Time seemed to do that.
All temporary....and the end result was well worth the "growing pains"
Hopefully all gets easier soon.

Keep the Faith.

Wow! I was not able to sleep on either op side for months! I still have to find the exact right place on the mattress...

The issue is restlessness at night... I still get some hip pain and getting very little sleep as I am constantly moving trying to get in a comfortable position which I can not find. My leg feels unconfortable.. like growing pains.

A suggestion and idea for you to ponder -

Magnesium supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

Many have tried it with success. What do you have to lose is the way I view it.

Thanks for sharing. Tried the manual massage and the icing which I had stopped couple of days ago.

Mauro - my surgery was a day ahead of yours. I am still icing at least once a day, and more often if I can, as I find it comforting. I am also doing occasional manual massage for my area of swelling (below incision and in hip saddlebag area.

I can sleep on non-operative side (I had anterior approach), and am most comfortable if I have a pillow between my knees. I think I accidentally rolled over to the operative side, and it was uncomfortable enough, I quickly switched sides.

Good luck with your ongoing recovery!

I know it might sound strange but putting lotion on my legs (actually had to have my husband do it) seemed to help me with that restless feeling. I am not sure if it was getting rid of dry skin/massage as he put lotion on or what but it helped a bit. Also making sure I was hydrating throughout the day.

The issue is restlessness at night... I still get some hip pain and getting very little sleep as I am constantly moving trying to get in a comfortable position which I can not find. My leg feels unconfortable.. like growing pains.

A suggestion and idea for you to ponder -

Magnesium supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

Many have tried it with success. What do you have to lose is the way I view it.

Yes!, Started that couple of days ago as suggested by a friend that had procedure done couple of years ago. Thanks!

Thank you for your comments and suggestions!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Day 29 post op. Walking unassisted most of the time. Have the cane with me for safety only. No issues during the day. I take short walks inside the house every couple of hours and do take a 20 to 30 minute walk outside 1 to 2 times during the day. Sleeping during the night still an issue but the last few nights I have slept for longer periods of time ( 2 to 3 hours at a time) The restlessness still there as positioning still a problem. Laying on the non operative side with a pillow between the knees does cause some discomfort on the operated hip.. pressure on the lower incision area so that position does not last long. Thanks to everyone that commented and posted suggestions to manage the restlessness and discomfort during the night. I am pretty much following all the advice and it does have helped lots.

Hello @Mauro, :wave:
Your latest update sounds very encouraging. You seem to be doing really well!
As I’m sure you’ve heard and read, you will continue to notice progress for months to come. It’s still early days considering how long you’ll have the implant.

It‘s a special day....Happy One Month Anniversary!
Stay safe, well and please continue to update. We love hearing from you! :SUNsmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back