THR Hip Replacement-9 weeks still limping

Hello this Friday will be the 1 year anniversary of my TRHR.Looking back I feel very blessed to have made the progress that I have .. there were days that I struggled. I am also so very grateful for the support of this thread. I wouldn’t have made it as well without you. I still feel achy at times and I know I have to keep moving / walking but all and all doing well. I am conscious that I have a replacement joint .. it still feels somewhat foreign but OS says that it can take as long as 2 years for the bone and skin to completely heal. Hope all are hanging in and taking good care. Again thank you!

hello @Teresawebb ! I remember you coming online to the forum and struggling so.

Which makes reading your update that much more special.
So many of the painful issues can be eased by resting and going gentle on the exercises, etc.
Then one day we wake up and realize our hips are working like well oiled machines!

Happy 1 year hippie-versary! Thank you for the kind words for BoneSmart, also. It was there for me too, 5 years ago and I'll never forget the relief of finding such support.

Have a good summer and stop by and check in when you can!

Hello @Teresawebb I have just finished reading your thread and would just like to say how much I have enjoyed following your recovery journey. I am almost 5 months post op and recovery going pretty well albeit at times can get some aches if I overdo it.However, I find the advice / support I have received from fellow members helps me rein myself in. I am very happy for you to read how well you have progressed at your one year anniversary and wish you good health and continuing progress going forward.

@catlover55 best of recovery to you. I was once told on this thread that each month gets better and I found that to be so true. Glad that my thread was helpful to you. Take good care.

Nice to hear , one hip down and one to go in September to go along with my 2 new knees . The knees are both over a year old and doing great , so am looking forward to getting some healing time in on hips once both are done. It’s a lengthy process but based on my knee recovery , the light at the end of the tunnel will get brighter and brighter as time moves on.

One year today...Happy One Year Anniversary, Teresa!
Just read your great update. Thanks for taking the time to drop in and share.
I hope you enjoy the rest of the Summer and the next year is better than the last! :SUNsmile:
@Teresawebb

Well I have had a set back. Even though I am 1 year out of TRHR and as I last reported was feeling pretty good. I was continuing to have swelling and stiffness, but felt it was due to not getting up more during the day and moving around. At the end of July this all became more troublesome. Went to my OS xrays and blood work were taken the end result is that I have osteolysis, shifting distal aspect of stem. OS is saying will just watch and X-ray again in 6 months and that this might not get any better. I am going for a second opinion the second week in September. Not feeling very good about this continue to have bothersome symptoms. However, I can still walk with limited discomfort after walking awhile. Would appreciate any feedback. Thank U

So sorry you are dealing with this @Teresawebb ! Can you tell me - did you have an uncemented hip?
OS is saying will just watch and X-ray again in 6 months .
Not sure I would wait around. If the bone is deteriorating due to the implant shifting it can only get worse.

Well done for scheduling a second opinion. Please let us know how that appointment goes.

Jaycey thank you for your response. I am not sure if I had uncemented. I do know that I did not have staples . There was cement used to close the wound. Yes I will update as I go through this process. Thanks again.

Hello it has been awhile since I have logged in. Hope all are doing the best that they can. I am now 1.5 years out of TRHR... I am still having swelling although it is much better and I have some tenderness and stiffness but those are better also.

I last reported at my 1 year marker the x-ray showed that I have periprosthetic lucency along distal femoral stem. At 1.5 years the x-ray is showing the same .
My OS says that this means that their is small space less than a half of inch that the stem is not in its proper place.... I did get a second opinion and the OS said the same and to see where I am at the 2 year marker.

I still have mild discomfort. I am going to begin to get medical massages and start walking more. I have to admit that when the pandemic hit I stopped walking as much as I should have .... also began to work from home so I had to really concentrate on taking breaks just to move around.

I go back in August to see OS. Staying hopeful that this does not lead to a revision ... .

On another note I have had two relatives that have had hip replacement in the last 8 months... when asked for my advice I said to get on Bone Smart ! The information is invaluable . Thanks again.

@Teresawebb So sorry you are still dealing with this lose implant. If there has been no change I am not sure why all this wait and see. Unfortunately a lose implant is not going to correct itself no matter how much time you allow. Please keep us updated!
I said to get on BoneSmart
Thanks for this! We sincerely appreciate your support.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Nosila
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom