TKR I did it. A Second TKR!

I hear you.. the news feels surreal and I’m just laying here, unable to shut it out. But I say- sleep as much as you can. Let that body heal and restore!

It’s weird to be on the other side of looking surgeries. Ive been in the same position for about 7 years, and to now be “done” ... whoa! Its such a relief!

Today has been tough. I had my post op and all went well. Cleared to drive and given orders for out patient therapy. I have slept in this morning till 11. Feeling like I'm lazy. I keep reminding myself this is the time to sleep so I can heal. Beating myself up isn't necessary but I can't help it. I have the notorious depression and anxiety and working with my therapist and meds. But I'm hopeful. This is giving me the second chance to enjoy life without knee pain. 2 weeks and 2 days now I'm able to walk without assistance and down to 1 pain pill at night. I should be excited but looking at fear of the future. I'll be 48 next week and obsessed over fear of unknown. Enough of me whining.

@Txknee72 try if you can and look at the positive side, you are fortunate to have had both knees replaced successfully and from reading your posts you have got the hang of it and doing remarkably well for two weeks post op. :flwrysmile: Take this time to rest and allow your body to heal, the future I'm sure will return to normality, we may for a while have to rearrange our customs but once a vaccine is found I'm sure life will carry on as before.
I live in Portugal and we are slowly getting back to normal our buisinesses have reopened, as have the shopping malls, beaches and restaurants, we must use masks in public places and inside public buildings, but we are now free to meet up with friends and families, go to the movies etc.
Soon you will be up and running around with two new knees and pain free, this last week I suddenly turned a corner I'm walking normally and actually went up and down several flights of stairs without thinking or hanging on to a hand rail my husband commented that I was doing the stairs normally and I hadn't even noticed:yes!: so just think how wonderful life will be and try not fear or imagine the worst xxx

You are doing AMAZINGLY well for 2+ weeks! I hope you enjoy the freedom to drive... I’m looking forward to when I’m ready for that.

After being home for 2 months and navigating “distance learning” for my son and working from home, I was scared to start getting back to stuff. I was particularly nervous about outpatient PT. Instead, PT is what has made me feel a little normal again. Getting out and engaging with other people has been good for my recovery physically and mentally!

@Txknee72 I want to echo everything @JennyLynne said. Between 4 and 8 weeks post op, I got really discouraged and wondered if I’d ever get my life back. The Bonesmart articles on post op blues helped reassure me, though. I’ll be 3 months post op next week, and getting back into the world (outpatient PT, driving, running errands, even socially distancing chats with neighbors) has made such a difference. Today, I went to my office for the first time since 3/6. We’re taking temperatures and wearing masks in common spaces, but still it was glorious to be back among my colleagues again. I got so many compliments on my limp free walk and I left feeling so glad I had the surgery. I know that doesn’t mean that there won’t still be setbacks along the road to a full recovery, but today, I’m filled with optimism. Best wishes to you!

Last edited:
Thank y'all so much! It is very encouraging to hear how y'all are doing and how the world is going on with this social distancing. I'm starting outpatient next week and can't wait to get back my strength. I am trying to process the fact I can actually do things instead of looking for places to sit. I do find I get tired after doing little things and trying to not feel bad about resting.

8A07C986-1DF9-4373-B9A5-CCD120C52DF2.jpeg

So today is another day of my brain messing with me. This Tuesday will be 3 weeks. Oh can the blues please go away! I out of my norm on sleeping. I have slept in till 12:30 yesterday and today. I have no motivation and I feel useless. My sons are helping out and tell me to just rest. I mean really with this world what can we really do. I am so thankful I'm doing as I am physically. I have been having some pain on the inner knee. But Tylenol seems to be working. I just need encouraging words that there's an end in the mental beat down I'm going through. I know it's normal just want a hug.

I've been watching more news than normal, what with everything going on and being limited in other distractions. I think that alone can make a person more depressed. I'm vowing to turn the TV off and read more for the next few weeks. Hopefully that will help my mood and mental state.

I agree with you that now is not a good time to be watching the news. A good book can be so much more rewarding and entertaining, not to mention, very good for healing your knee and body!

I can totally relate to what you are feeling. I was so depressed and frustrated at 2 to 6 weeks. It does get better. I did try doing puzzles, reading, and making jewelry. I did anything to distract me from my pain and feeling like I wished I'd never had surgery. Passing the time helps so much. The stories and inspiration on this forum has gotten me through many days as well. I also started a journal and when I look back now at 3 months post-op, I do see progress. I am still not driving yet and want to so badly. I am hopeful that it will happen soon. Be patient with yourself and hang in there. Sending hugs!!:hugzz:

I needed the reminder it will get better. I tend to get stuck thinking this is permanent. I went to my assessment at outpatient therapy today. My surgery was 3 weeks ago. Feels longer. My rom is 113 and I feel stronger. I will start next week for 4 weeks. I'm nervous but ready.

With a 113 bend at 3 weeks, you are way ahead of the game. Be careful when you start PT and don't let them aggravate your newborn knee. You don't want to have a setback.

Hi everyone. I'm curious. I've had lots of time overthinking. I know shocker! Anyways I was wondering do the spinal block and meds given to help us not remember the surgery cause depression and anxiety or make existing issues worse? I have connected the dots of every time I have a surgery I seem to go down the rabbit hole at week 2 through 6. I'm currently almost 5 weeks and I feel I'm getting better. It's been a tough road mentally. I'm still having a little pain but nothing Tylenol can't handle. I want everyone to know that if I had the chance to decide again I would choose this surgery again. It's nice to be able to cook a good meal without pain. Who knew!!

Post op blues - a real part of this recovery. And in these "weird" times I am sure depression and anxiety are heightened. Just know this passes with time. Hang in there!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom