THR Is Ice still recommended?

@Jamie...I did ask her to and she said she posted a question on here and I’m not sure she’s clear how to search for an answer. She is a Facebook friend from a group I belong to and lives in another state. I’ve tried to encourage her to call her doctor and see if she needs follow up. She stated she did that last Thursday, left a message and no one has returned the call. She was sent home with no home health and only this appointment with a GP who is not even her regular physician. It is crazy! But thanks for posting a reply. I was just curious if anyone else here has had to go away for a hip replacement because their insurance required it. This is Walmart by the way.

Re travel for medical care ... I would suppose it relates to your location.

I‘m not sure why anyone would be on a medical campus for 10 days ... when most THR patients are discharged after one night ... I’m assuming there were complications of some sort?

As I intimated - there appears to be a lot of information missing - definitely need your friend to join the forum.

I did ask her to and she said she posted a question on here and I’m not sure she’s clear how to search for an answer.

Consider asking her the user name she chose here. We can search for her thread and attempt to draw her in so she can receive some support through the forum. It certainly sounds like she can use it.

I listened to the BoneSmart webinar and one of the doctors on the panel alluded to ice not being recommended Now after surgery. I posted a question to the panel about that statement for clarification and they ran out of time before answering. Do any of the moderators know what he was referring to?

Hi @Harpcat :wave:
I didn't get to see the whole webinar...can you remember which physician or portion this was in?

I was a heating pad baby with my OA symptoms but I give Ice major kudos for calming postop trauma, inflammation...and for pain relief.
:ice::ice::ice:

@Mojo333 no I don’t remember who without going back and watching it all over again. It was mentioned so I posted a question but they ran out of time to answer it. I had hoped they would answer all the unanswered questions in a transcript but I couldn’t find one. Sorry

We'll see if we can find out?
Was this the question you had posed?
There are improvements to this program every year, but having a place to post responses to the unanswered questions is a great idea...
Will pass this on.

I will say, don't know what any doctor thinks, I had double hip replacement and Iced often at the suggestion and urging of members who know...Definitely a Must, in my opinion.

I will say, don't know what any doctor thinks, I had double hip replacement and Iced often at the suggestion and urging of members who know...Definitely a Must, in my opinion.

I simply asked what was the new thinking on using ice after surgery. Or something to that effect. I wished he had elaborated on it. Kind of disconcerting to just throw that out and not follow up with the why. I too used ice and would do it again for my left hip when that time comes in October.

@Harpcat can you remember about what time of day you heard this on the panel? That would help us narrow down who was speaking so that we can get clarification.

I simply asked what was the new thinking on using ice after surgery. Or something to that effect.
As far as I know, there is no new thinking. Different surgeons and therapists may have differing opinions.
This is how Jamie explained it:
"After surgery ice is frequently used as a means to minimize pain and swelling because of the surgical trauma. It's not the same use as you might do after an injury. Following injury, it is common practice to tell patients to ice no longer than 20-25 minutes several times a day. But with a surgical incision, it is perfectly fine to ice your wound as much as is comfortable for you providing that you do not allow your skin to chill to the point of damage. This is why we recommend that people use a towel between the ice source and their skin or clothing. It's also why the ice machines like Game Ready or DonJoy have pads that don't get quite as cold as you can do with an actual ice pack. Icing is an excellent means to control pain following surgery and each individual needs to find out what schedule works best for them.
I used gel packs through the day and night for weeks with both my knees because it felt better than not icing. Obviously, during the day there were periods where I was not in bed or on the couch, so I wasn't icing then. But at night it was both front and back of the knee all night long. It really helped me sleep."

@Harpcat
You'll notice that I have merged your three post-op threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. Don't worry that we won't see your question as, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.

If you would like a new thread title, just post what you would like it to be and we'll change it for you

Sorry @Celle. I didn't think this had anything to do with my recovery since it was about the BoneSmart Joint Replacement Awareness Day so I thought it made sense to start a new thread. So to be clear, if I ask any question about anything at all, it goes under my recovery thread?

Want to be sure because I have another hip surgery scheduled for October. So would that recovery go here as well?

Last edited:
@Harpcat can you remember about what time of day you heard this on the panel? That would help us narrow down who was speaking so that we can get clarification.
You know this was live several weekends ago and as I listened to it, I don't know what the time was as I was also in the kitchen making a pie. LOL. So know...but I do think it was more towards the end of the day's topics.
Since the videos haven't been posted there is no way for me to go back and see. It may have been under pain management but honestly I can't be sure.

So to be clear, if I ask any question about anything at all, it goes under my recovery thread?

Want to be sure because I have another hip surgery scheduled for October. So would that recovery go here as well?
The icing question was about recovery, even though it was mentioned in JRAD. We get questions about icing quite often, as some PTs will advise that icing should only be done for 20 minutes at a time.

You are allowed one thread for each recovery, so you can start a new recovery thread for your second hip - or you can choose not to, as some people find it easier to have one thread than it is to jump from thread to thread..

Since the videos haven't been posted there is no way for me to go back and see.

Hi @Harpcat
They will be posted in the near future. It sounds as though one of the surgeons made a statement and you’re looking for them to expound on the topic of icing post op?

Wondering if you have an October date to share so we can add it to your signature to reflect your upcoming surgery?

I hope you’re able to find ways to stay comfortable as you await your Left THR. :console2:
Enjoy the remainder of this holiday weekend! :SUNsmile:

Hi
Wondering if you have an October date to share so we can add it to your signature to reflect your upcoming surgery?
Yes, I do have a date for October 5. Keeping fingers cross Covid doesn't prevent it. My left hip is really limiting my ability to do walking exercise for very far.
You have a nice day too.

Hello @Harpcat
Thank you for providing a date. We’ll add you to the October Surgery list and update your signature. If anything changes, let us know and we’ll edit.
I hope today is a good one for you!

:yes!: @Harpcat
Hoping all is still a go for your surgery and you are well.
Hope righty is doing well and we will be rooting for you as you acquire Double Hippy status.:dancy:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back