THR Practicing Patience and Hope

Hello, Happy Thursday!
I'm wondering if your unanswered questions are the items you commented on above?
If so...here goes -

A swollen bruised knee at this point is common. My swelling and mild bruising in the area of my knee didn't even show up until I was 17 days post op. Yours is already dissipating so that's good!

Incision site can remain tender and numb in areas for quite some time. I'm talking months. The numbness slowly eases, sometimes leaving little areas here or there, until one day you suddenly realize it's no longer numb anywhere.

Fatigue or Energy Drain is normal. Our body's energy supply isn't limitless. So when we're in healing mode after major surgery our energy will be used for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all the other activity of daily life. It is completely normal to feel tired for quite some time. How long....most likely relates to your body's rate of healing. Making our best effort to get adequate sleep and rest is beneficial.
Our body does it's best healing while we're sleeping.
Following is the article from the Recovery Guidelines - http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/energy-drain-for-thrs.12415/

As far as limping goes it's advised you use an assistive device until your no longer limping.
A tip -
Try heel-toe walking when / if you're limping. Let your heel hit the ground first followed by toes.
It takes a concentrated effort but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.

Wishing you all the best as you continue healing. I hope you have a nice holiday weekend!
@mlas

Another question. Crossing legs is no longer an option.
What about crossing at the ankles?
I find myself wanting to cross my op-leg (left) over my non-op (right) at the ankle while in the recliner.

Happy One Month Anniversary!
Re: Crossing legs at ankles, I'd advise you ask your surgeon as the opinion and timeline on that varies. Personally, I wouldn't, and didn't, cross my ankles at only one month post op. I do now, but didn't back then.
Have a great week!
@mlas

Welcome to a very supportive and knowledgeable group here. I post on here for all my questions, or just when I need some TLC support and. sanity check. I think the limp will resolve in time. I am in no rush to give up a walking aid. I need to stand as straight as possible since I had a spine fusion last summer. I am an orthopedic surgeon's dream girl, lol. I have a bad hobble, so I try and avoid walking without something. My surgeon wants me for the moment, on two crutches but I am a unique case.
Don't worry about the energy drain, there is a lot of information on the site to read on regarding that. That is great you can start driving soon!

@mlas Chiming in on the knee pain--yep, knees sometimes hurt during this recovery. Realignment, weak thigh muscles, weak hamstrings all contribute.

My incision also is still tender to touch at 11 weeks--not severe pain, just a little sensitive. All normal I think.

Energy drain lasted for me until week 6 or 7--I still get tired at night although that might be because of early morning kitty wake up calls--no matter when I go to bed I know that I'll have a furry alarm clock next to me at 6 a.m.

I think it can be hard to know why we limp. Pain? Weak muscles? Learned gait? Limping wasn't an issue for me but others on here might have some tips on how they got past the limping phase.

hello! I had that same inclination to cross at my ankles. It's best not to if only for the fact that it restricts your blood flow and lymph drainage. The more you can avoid it the better your leg can work to heal. I added a stiff pillow under my lower legs to help circulation, too.
You sound like things are going pretty well for you, congrats on your shiny new hip!
P.S. I used my cane up until the 9th week, and then still used it on uneven ground or for longer walks. It helps you to stand correctly and perfect your gait. I would look in a mirror to see how I was doing and corrected things that looked not so great.
You are still early in your recovery.. not unusual at all to still be using at least one cane. :flwrysmile:
@mlas

:kitty:Hope you are feeling better.
Love your cat avatars, @mlas & @gertie
Many of us have a Nurse Cat overseeing our recovery.

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope your recovery is moving along nicely.
We'd love to hear how you're doing if you have time for an update next time you're on the forum.
Until then...all the best!
@mlas

15-16 week post-op THR. Thigh pain when walking.

Is anyone out there experiencing this also? I’m imagining it’s the end of the titanium rod pushed down the center of my femur not healed yet. ‍♀️

@mlas I get an occasional dull ache in the operated leg--could be muscle, could be deeper. I'm a bit further out than you. But it is just occasional--mostly my thigh is pain free except when I've done exercises such as squats--then I get pain that is clearly from a muscle that has worked hard. My more regular soreness is along the IT band on the side and that's only on days I've been on my feet a lot. It might be worth giving your OS office a call to ask about the pain if it's a consistent thing?

Thank you for your response

Hi @mlas
Happy Four Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well. It does take a full year for recovery and even longer for some. So some discomfort is expected. However, if you're bothered by the pain you've described, it increases in intensity or duration, I'd check in with the office of the OS for the reassurance you're seeking.

I hope you have a lovely holiday season! :merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:

I did contact my surgeon earlier this week regarding leg pain.
They said to slow down & rest a week or two.
So I did. After 4 days of minimal walking I have much less discomfort.
And I’m thankful.
It takes a full year to heal from THR. Trying to make it sink into my brain.

Thank you

I'm happy to read you're seeing positive results in dialing it back a bit.
Following is a sentiment a member shared from their surgeon -

Look upon this operation as an investment in your future.
Look after it now and it will serve you well for years to come.

You have many months of healing to happen and you'll notice improvement all along the way. Take it slow and easy.
Wishing you a great week and a safe, peaceful holiday season!
@mlas

7 months post surgery LTHR. I’ve been having terrible mid thigh pain when taking weight off the leg. Painful to walk. Limping, so using a cane helps. I’ve had recent xrays and blood work . Everything seems normal. No infection. Surgeons conclusion, end of stem pain. The implant stem is stronger than the femur. The pain is coming from the femur bending slightly.
I’m taking higher end amounts of calcium and vitamin D.
Have ordered a thigh compression sleeve. Hope this helps.
I’m 67 and expected to return to outdoor activities I enjoy so much.
Weight gain, partly from inactivity is depressing. I’ve started alternating pain control with Aleve and Tylenol.
Just putting this out there in case anyone can relate.
Waiting to be normal again.

@mlas You will notice I moved your post to your recovery thread. So sorry you are having this pain.
Surgeons conclusion, end of stem pain.
What is your surgeon's plan for dealing with this?

@mias That has to be so worrisome for you and exhausting. Of course you had hoped to be active by now. Is there something else that can be done to rectify this? I am so sorry you are dealing with this.

Surgeons suggestion: it takes a whole year for pain and swelling to subside.
Take aleve, ibuprofen and try wearing bicycling shorts ( this is for compression around my thigh). ‍♀️
I wear a thigh compression sleeve. I read athletes wear them for muscle aches, hamstring injuries and such. For me, bicycle shorts are not an option. My 67 year old body shape is not that of a ‍♀️ cycler. .
Waiting, waiting to feel better .

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom