Ankle Total Ankle Replacement 9-12-19

Hi Robyin, thank you for your answer.
I am so happy to hear that both you and Larry are doing well.

I found a Dr in Switzerland that does a 3D ankle replacement. I think there's only 3 countries in Europe that do it and fortunately one of them is in Geneva, where I live.

I wish you both ALL the very best. Keep updating us, it is so reassuring.....

Prompt recovery

Hi Robyin, thank you for your answer.
I am so happy to hear that both you and Larry are doing well.

I found a Dr in Switzerland that does a 3D ankle replacement. I think there's only 3 countries in Europe that do it and fortunately one of them is in Geneva, where I live.

I wish you both ALL the very best. Keep updating us, it is so reassuring.....

Prompt recovery

Hi Diana,
Good luck with your ankle replacement. Your comment about a 3D ankle replacement sounds like you have chosen the Infinity device utilizing the Prophecy procedure that uses a 3D printer to develop the alignment devices for the surgery which ensures that the Infinity ankle replacement device is perfectly aligned with your bone structure. It will be interesting to follow your journey; you might consider starting your own thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to hear that you guys are starting to put weight on your ankle and taking some steps. A week from today they take my cast off and that will be 6 weeks since my surgery. Hoping that will be the start of my walking and therapy. Maybe the reason they put me in a case is because they also lengthened my acillies tendon. Nice to here everyone is starting to use their new ankle.

All TAR'ers
Just found this forum, it's so nice to read about others going through it...anyway, I'm 10 months post-surgery (Had TAR and foot reconstruction) in Dec 2018 at HSS NYC...SUPER happy with results...I'm mid 50's and very active...I'm back to playing doubles tennis again and doing some light jogging. I still have days with pain here and there, but nothing like pre-surgery. I've found a good rhythm with lace-up braces, anti-inflammatories, and rest. Trying in my mind to balance the push to continue to do more with the concerns of longevity...I'll post my ex rays at some point, it's a sight to see...oh and special thanks to my wife for carrying the knee scooter up and down the stairs for 45 days.

Feel free to fire away with any questions :)

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for posting your experience. I'm hoping 10 months post-surgery, I'm in the same position as you. I'm also very active and travel quite a bit, so I'm looking forward to doing these activities without the pre-surgery pain. I just started PT and weight bearing. I'm still walking with a limp but I just started everything this week so I know patience is required for progress.

Thank goodness my house is on one level, so kudos to your wife with the knee scooter. That device was a godsend!

Went in yesterday and had cast taken off. They now have me in a walking boot and told me to start putting some weight on it, 25% 4 days, 50% 4 days, 75% 4 days, then 100%. Out of the boot in 4 to 5 weeks. Can move my foot around good with not to much pain but when I put weight on it there is some pain in the heal area, thinking that will improve with time. Start PT this next wed. It is nice to sleep at night with nothing on my foot.

Hi Jimmer,
Great news. I too was glad to be out of the hard cast and sleep at night without any boot. I also had pain initially in the wound area but it has gotten much better over the past two weeks,
How do you gauge the percentage of weight bearing like they have asked you to do? Interesting challenge.

Larry I am thinking they say that so you take your time and don't over do it with the weight. As far as pain by the wound the top of my foot I have no feeling but they said that will come back with time. Looking forward to PT next week.

Hi Jimmer,

That's great news that you are out of the hard cast and slowing becoming weight bearing. Even though my doctor didn't instruct me with the same, I wish I had taken it a bit more slowly. Either way, I've have 2 weeks of PT (4 sessions) with a little bit more aggressive with each session. I don't have any heal pain but mostly in the incision site. Most of the stabbing pains have gone away and I'm able to sleep better at night. My therapist has me doing 7 exercises now along with riding the stationary bike. My joint (or tendons) is still very stiff and I don't have much flexibility trying to bend my toes back to my shin. I can point my toes down pretty well and can move side to side with no issues. I believe my prior ankle problems have resulted with the tendons atrophying since I wasn't able to move my ankle much. The therapist doesn't seem to be to concerned and just expressed that it may take me a little longer to gain that range of motion. I have two more weeks of PT and see my surgeon on November 21st. We'll see what his opinions are at that time.

The therapist doesn't seem to be to concerned and just expressed that it may take me a little longer to gain that range of motion.
Sounds like a very reasonable approach. Let us know how your appointment goes with your surgeon.

All of you ankle folks are paving the way forward here! Thanks!

My joint (or tendons) is still very stiff and I don't have much flexibility trying to bend my toes back to my shin.
Robyn,
I too am having this issue. I can do all of the flexibility exercises quite well, however when it comes to standing against a table and bending down to stretch my ankle towards my shin, it is very difficult and causes me the most pain around the outside frontal ligaments. I do this very carefully and wonder if I am being too cautious or should I push myself harder? Guess I need a PT to help advise me. I see my surgeon this coming week and will discuss this issue and ask him if he recommends I go to a therapist. When I saw him three weeks ago he told me he would decide at this appointment if I needed a PT. Its interesting that many of you have been sent to a PT right off.

Went in for PT yesterday for the first time. They measured my range of motion in my ankle. Then they did some stuff to stretch my achilles tendon. That seems to be the reason the toes don't come up toward the shin. They gave me home exercises to stretch it. Took a shower without the boot yesterday and had a pain shoot up the back of my leg and was told that it was my achilles stretching and that is a good thing. Over all ankle feels good, just a matter of time.

UPDATE: I went for my check up with the surgeon yesterday. No new x-rays were taken but he checked the movement and flexibility of my ankle. At 9 weeks post surgery, he was very happy with my progress. My tendons are still very tight and I have very limited range of motion for the upward position so he's still recommending another month of PT 2 times a week. My therapist seems to think that since I had not being walking correctly for so long on this foot prior to the surgery, that these tendons need more time to stretch out due to inactivity. The surgeon says this is not so unusual at this stage of recovery. Either way. I'll continue with the PT and home exercises for now. I can walk fairly good with just minimum discomfort. I'm driving around without any issues. The surgeon says I can do anything I want, just nothing high impact. I'm just taking it day by day!

Robyn, sounds like you are doing great. You are walking some and driving 9 weeks after surgery is great. I am 8 weeks out and still in a boot with some small steps out of the boot. Have some pain and swelling on outside of ankle that limits me from leaving the boot. Have PT twice a week and do exercises to do at home.

Hi Jimmer, I still have swelling and redness in my ankle as soon as I step on it. I try and wear the compression sock most of the time. You might give that a try for less pain and swelling. Also, are you icing your ankle?

Robyn, I ice it 3 times a day, they told me not to wear the compression sock after the surgery. When I go in Monday for PT I will ask if it is ok now. Guess just have to give it time, hoping to drive down by kids for Christmas, about a 3 1/2 hour drive.

Hopefully the therapist can offer some other suggestions. You still have a month before Christmas so keep your fingers crossed you can make that long drive! In my case, the driving doesn't seem to bother me since there's no weight on the ankle, just movement.

Hi,
I am also wearing a compression stocking part of the day. Had my fourth PTsession today and continue to gain flexibility. my hardiest flex exercise is bending my ankle towards my shin. I really like the rubdown prior to the start of the exercises; it really loosens up my ankle. The therapist is concentrating on more weight bearing exercises, like pushing on a spring board with my right leg using my toes instead of my entire foot. Swelling continues but has been getting less this past week. Drive everywhere without any pain, which is wonderful again.
My therapist has been telling me to concentrate on walking with my toes pointing straight ahead and not outward towards the side. She says a lot of people coming out of walking boots tend to do that.

Went to PT on Monday, they have me walking in a shoe now and wearing a compression stock. They worked on strength and flexibility, like you guys, have to get the ankle to bent upward. Have more pain and swelling now that I am walking in a shoe, told to wear hard boot when I go outside. Well we had a foot of snow so I was out snow blowing, taped a hat over the end of the boot to keep the snow out. I also have to learn to walk with my toe pointing strait ahead, think I got into that habit of walking with it out because it was less painful.

Went to PT on Monday, they have me walking in a shoe now and wearing a compression stock. They worked on strength and flexibility, like you guys, have to get the ankle to bent upward. Have more pain and swelling now that I am walking in a shoe, told to wear hard boot when I go outside. Well we had a foot of snow so I was out snow blowing, taped a hat over the end of the boot to keep the snow out. I also have to learn to walk with my toe pointing strait ahead, think I got into that habit of walking with it out because it was less painful.

Hi Jimmer,
Had to laugh a little about your snow comment and taping the hat. Down here in Florida we don’t have that additional challenge. My PT had to break me of walking somewhat side ways and got me to point my toes straight ahead; she told me to concentrate on heel then toe. Interesting that they have told you to walk wearing a shoe whereas my surgeon told me to wear sneakers.
I have completed two weeks of PT and I definitely see and feel progress, however still experiencing pain and a little swelling. Achilles gives me pain if I work it too hard. The surgeon told me he stretched it during surgery, whatever that means?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back