THR My new left hip

I'll have a shirt please! Never aimed for longevity but fun really.

T-Shirt.jpg

Front -T.gif
Back -T.jpg

The upper is the front and the lower is the back. You can have someone make a better image of it for you.
Much cheaper than me sending it from Calif to the UK.

Enjoy

Hi Vern,
Love the sentiment! Thanks for sharing.
It sounds like you're doing well. I hope you have a nice week.
@vern748

Hi All,

On day OP+39. Been going to the gym regularly. Going simple and light...for me. Doing the bike at minimal resistance for 7+ miles. Doing the Air-Bike, just arms for about 30 min. TRX-Rows, etc. All is really good. Head back to work next week.

Still have some numbness to the right of the incision, down a few inches. Have some interesting "Banding" that run perpendicular to the incision, and right through the center of the incision. Looks like if you wear something too tight, leaves a panty line. Seem like the incision is pulled to tight. Is this common ?

Hi Vern,
Not really sure about the banding you've mentioned.
Consider calling the office of your OS to question it, or ask if you can forward a photo you snap from your phone. I'm sure they'll be able to offer you some reassurance.

Simple and light is good!
Keep up the good work and enjoy the week!
@vern748

Hi,
Went to my 6 week Dr. appointment. Dr took some x-rays and said he wanted to see me in a year. :flwrysmile:
I am back to work and taking it slow. Walking on roof and crawling into crawl spaces is tough when your lacking some mobility. Dr. said if it starts to hurt. STOP. I'm stronger than the pain threshold, ie, If I push through it I'm likely to do some damage. UNDERSTOOD.

Got my shirts made !

shirt-small.jpg

I know. Here is a word of caution to everyone out there that may read this. My results ARE NOT typical. I spent the last 2 years training hard, really hard, for the recovery from this operation. I generally am at the gym every other day doing conditioning and weights for 2+ hours. In my extra time I do CrossFit and Spartan races. That oval under my shirt in the lower center of the photo is my training/heart monitor. I was serious about this recovery.

I hope to check in a few time over the next few weeks. There are sooo many sweet, knowledgeable and caring people on this site. Keep up the great work.

Thank You All
Vern

Hey...:wave:
No, your results certainly aren't typical. You're fortunate that you're doing so well, so soon, He-Man :heehee:
Your 6 week appt went well and obviously your OS is confident in your progress. I shudder to think of walking on a rough or navigating crawl spaces at not even two months post op. You're a brave one, Vern!
Keep up the good work and check in periodically.
Stay safe and enjoy the day!
@vern748

image.jpg

Back to work. Getting ready for a crawl. Someone kindly...NOT, snapped a pix of me. It's my good side.

Probably not your best look :heehee:
Stay safe, be careful, go slow.
Keep in touch and let us know how it's going.
@vern748

:wave:
Walking on roof and crawling into crawl spaces is tough when your lacking some mobility. Dr. said if it starts to hurt. STOP. I'm stronger than the pain threshold, ie, If I push through it I'm likely to do some damage. UNDERSTOOD.
Please be careful and if you find that you need to, find a way to get that break. I was back to work very early...but do not have the job you have. It seems it never hurts til we stop.:unsure:
aflagsforworship.co.uk_jo_pic_images_healinzxz.jpg

Some things just take time to fully heal...despite our best efforts !

You have been a stellar example of a successful THR putting us back to our life in short order. Don't mess this up!:no-fin:

It's going to be a great summer!:yahoo:

Hi All,

Just checking in. It has been almost 5 months to the day.
So my movement is almost back to where it was before the operation. I do not get any lock-up any more, which I am grateful for, and the main reason for having the operation anyway.
The area below the incision is still numb, but that's expected. The Dr. said that it may never recover. I can live with that.
The glute is back to normal, no weakness.
Am back at the gym 4 days a week, but feeling less motivated, since I don't have the challenge of an impending hip replacement pushing me. Still ice when I need it...but mainly to other parts of my body and not usually the hip.

As many have mentioned, my results have not been typical. I am a true believer in if your feeling pain, your doing it wrong.

Hi Vern,
Thanks for the update. It sounds like you're doing really well.
Happy Five Month Anniversary!
Please stop by again, it's great for those following behind you to read of the positive changes this surgery brings. I hope you have a wonderful Summer! :SUNsmile:
@vern748

Hi All,

Im back. So all is still good. BUT I have 2 questions.

1) I still have some tenderness at the incision point. If something hits it, not very hard, it really hurts. Is this common ? When does it go away? oops 2 questions in one.

2) When will if feel like "I never had a replacement" ? It may sound strange, but I am not back to where I was before the operation....except for the locking up. That's gone. !!! Yea. Before the operation, I knew I would have to have the hip replaced. But now, after the replacement, I still "Feel" cautious about the hip. I want to be rid of that feeling.

I think it is very normal for that incision to feel tender...even up to and after a year. If I bump into something right on my incision, even now...it is sensitive.
Total Healing can take up to a year or more, and it does take a bit to gain complete confidence.
Some of that cautious feeling not necessarily a bad thing, I think.

Hi All,

It has been 10 months and a few days since my hip replacement.
Everything is going well...some may say really well.

Im still pretty ginger with how I run and when I do simple things. Watching for the pot hole, not turning on it if I reach to the left. Simple things yes, but too many years to develop this strategy to avoid the pain associated with doing something stupid.

That said Im not babying it either. Gym Sat, Sun, Wed.

After the operation I had some "Blues" and lacked some motivation. It took me setting some new goals to get back into the spirit. The goal. A Spartan Race. https://www.spartan.com/en/obstacle-course-races-and-types

So just to skip to the chase, I completed my 1st Spartan race this weekend.
The Super - 8 mile / 25 obstacles - Finished 1581 of 5000+ in the Open

Did pretty well but can do better. The race beat me, but I know I can get better and beat the race.

So....For everyone out there. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Set your goals and push forward. You can do it.

Hello Vern,
It is so nice to hear from you and what an inspirational update!
Thanks for taking the time to stop by and share the wonderful progress you've made. I'm sure many who are in the early days, or possibly even suffering a bit of the blues, as is common early on, will be inspired by how far one can progress within less than a year. I hope you continue to notice improvement and may that hip serve you well for many years to come.
Peace, love and happiness to you!
@vern748

Hi Vern! Great update and you do seem to be doing fantastic! You definitely give the newer folks something to look forward to.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom