THR Newbie

Anniec19

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi
In from Stockport UK and I met a lady yesterday who recommended this site so thought I'd check it out.
I have oa in both hips. I have had cortisone injections previously a couple of times but the last one only gave me pain relief for a few weeks.
Soooo I have taken the plunge and surgery is booked for 15th November. I've not decided whether left or right although left has deteriorated much more quickly recently. I am swimming to try and strengthen my muscles but I was hoping you guys could give me some tips on how to prepare properly.
I am super scared too but am trying to stay positive

Honestly the best prep is the mental prep of being ready to accept the recovery. Everyone's situation is different but being in any hurry to return to work or whatever usually doesn't work out well. If you come to understand the timeline of recovery and that forcing activities makes the recovery longer and more painful you'll be OK.

Hi @Anniec19: I am a year older than you and was in the same position with moderate to severe OA in both hips. In March of this year, I learned both hips needed replacing. My left was in worse shape than my right, but after blowing my right hip out on the treadmill at the gym, that all changed. I just had surgery on both hips-right in July and left last month. My surgeries were eight weeks apart. It was singlehandedly one of the best decisions I ever made. I empowered myself to reclaim my life back.

Like you, I was scared to death over surgery. I found this site while Internet surfing, joined after lurking for a couple of days and immediately began receiving-and continue to receive-much support and a lot of tips to get through this. The support and information here is invaluable, soothed many of my worries and has gotten me through some tough times over the last few months.

You will need the basic durable medical equipment such as a shower chair, toilet riser or commode, a walker and a cane. I highly recommend purchasing a "hip kit" which includes grabbers (which will become your new best friend while on restriction), an extra-long shoehorn, sock aid, a dressing stick, and a long-handled bath sponge. Another piece of equipment you will need is a riser cushion. I also had some fun with my walker and purchased some glitter tape to decorate it with. All of these items can be found on Amazon.

If the UK allows this, I would apply for a temporary disability parking placard. Even if you can't drive the first few weeks, your driver will appreciate being able to pick you up/drop you off at medical appointments and park with ease. Once you are cleared to drive, you will find having the placard makes your life a lot easier as the worry of finding a decent parking place is gone.

I don't know what your living situation is but I live in a two-story house with my bedroom upstairs and the one bathroom downstairs. I slept on the couch for approximately two weeks after both my surgeries. To prevent constant going up and down stairs, I kept a cardboard box in my den with basic, easy to put on clothes such as oversize T-shirts, sleep shorts, leggings and yoga pants, along with bras and panties. I also kept easy slip-on shoes downstairs for quick access.

I hope these suggestions help you. Feel free to check out my pre-op and recovery threads as well. Good luck, and please keep us posted!

Hi & welcome to this fabulous forum.....you’ll find loads of useful information here, and lots of lovely,friendly people to help you out. I luckily fell upon the site about a month prior to my op on 10th September and found it invaluable - read peoples threads & ask lots of questions, none are too trivial as everyone has been there.

I was extremely anxious prior to surgery ( not had major surgery before ) but found the more information I took on board the better I felt - I also found watching Youtube video of op very helpful ( though not for everyone ! )....when I had swelling, bruising, stiffness etc I was unfazed as your poor leg takes a lot of manhandling !

I’m a NHS patient here in Liverpool and chose to have op at local Spire private hosp - I was given a pair of elbow crutches, raised toilet seat, grabber & long handled shoe horn on discharge - I’d check with hospital which items you will be given so as not to make any unnecessary purchases. I had posterior approach so have to adhere to precautions-I made a long bolster cushion which I place between my legs in bed to stop me rolling onto my side or crossing my legs, it doubles as a wrap around cushion when sitting down. I sit on a study high backed garden chair with arms , a cushion underneath, and one behind.
I bought a long handled bath sponge & a bath transfer board as my shower is over the bath-there was no way, particularly in the early days, that I was able to cock my operated log leg over the bath edge !

I use two small tables ( one by my chair in the lounge & one in the bedroom ) for water bottle, meds, tissues, books etc..and a carrier bag ( or you could use a cross body bag / clothing with big pockets ) to carry stuff up & down stairs when using a crutch......Be prepared for your house to look like a nursing home for a couple of months !

I was pretty much independent after the 1st week, but my husband has to take off & put on TED stockings, there is no way you would be able to do this yourself ! I also bought a couple of pairs of wide legged yoga pants (£15 at M&S ) which I can easily get off & on with my grabber, and a pair of sketcher trainers (no laces to tie) - I couldn’t get them on my fat swollen sausage feet the first week, so wore thick walking socks to potter around the house, which I still wear as very comfortable.

You may want to cook & freeze some meals, as you probably won’t feel like cooking for the first week or two , and organise items you’ll need regularly at waist level or above.

Any info on op or hospital routine,ask away.......my op was late afternoon Tuesday with spinal anaesthesia & sedation & discharge Thursday morning with pain meds for one week & anticoagulant injections for 28 days - as I wasn’t in alot of pain, mainly swelling & stiffness, I only used half my meds-everyone is very different & its really important to keep ahead of the pain....don’t forget to contact your GP for more meds halfway through that first week if you think you may need them, so there is no break in your supply

Wishing you all the best whilst you wait,this really is the hardest bit Take care x

@Anniec19 Welcome to BoneSmart! Glad you joined us.

We were all in that scared place pre-op. Even those of us who have had a second THR. Keep posting here and let us know what you are concerned about. It does help ease the nerves.

Here are a couple of articles on preparing for your recovery. Do ask the hospital what equipment they may give you post op before purchasing anything. A tip from my experience - you need at least 2 grabbers. One to pick up the one you dropped!

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Hi @Anniec19 :wave:
Glad you have a date and found the forum which was such a helpful tool for me during recovery.
Both my hips were equally horrid, so I had simultaneous bilateral hip replacement over 2 years ago. Gave me my life back.:egypdance:
Dont suppose this is a possibility for you?
The only preop exercising I did was a bit of light weights in order to keep upper body strength.
I was working up until my surgery date and my hips were trashed so no additional PT would've been useful.

Getting the scoop from Those Who Know is just the best.
Lots of great advice here.

Welcome to bonesmart. It is normal to be scared. This is my 4th joint replacement, which will be my right hip, and there are times I am very concerned still though I have had great results from my knees and left hip. I keep concentrating on the fact that soon I will not be in this pain that does not go away and keeps getting worse. It carries me through. After each surgery, I regained my life again and could do things without pain. I know this will happen again and I want to have adventures again or just go to the store for groceries without pain.

Your surgery will be a couple days after mine. I am scheduled for 11/13. We can encourage each other in recovery. There are always many people here to answer questions pre surgery and post. It is a very wonderful place where everyone really understands what you are feeling. Visit often, ask any questions that arise and it will make the process easier. It has for me every time.

Thank you all for your messages x I am looking forward to less pain. I'm hoping to be back at work in the new year and then will decide when to get the other hip done. Both are equally bad so not sure which to have done first...will let the surgeon decide after the up to date x Ray's. I've had a letter from the hospital about some stuff they'll provide.. mainly toilet seat n raises for chair and bed. I've bought a rollator...£5 brand new off Ebay..result !!
I'm looking at a bath transfer chair but i cant figure out how they work !!
@KarenKat I'm in Stockport so having mine at the Alex through NHS. Hopefully wont be too long a stay.
Thanks again guys x am on this site every day now x

I found this site around a month before op, and like yourself spent time everyday checking out the stories of others ....I learned so much ( I was given very minimal info at my pre op appointment) which really helped with pre op anxiety.

My friend, a physiotherapist recommended a bath transfer board ( not sure whether same as transfer chair? ) as was having problems clearing bath edge with my operated leg. Its a robust plastic plank that secures with large suction pads and lies across the bath......you back up to it, lean back slightly, so as not to violate 90 degree angle & scoot back using arms, lifting legs over bathside ( you’ll probably be shown to get into bed this way too ) - you can even stay seated to shower as seat has drainage holes - I also bought a heavy duty non slip in-bath mat from an online mobility store ......if you need details of either let me know.

Good luck with your preparations ......your big day will be here before you know it ! Take care

Make sure you know what hip restrictions you will have post op.
Sometimes there aren't any! I had only one: no spinning on the op leg
Also query as to specific pain management and how and who will do refills if necessary
I was fortunate that I was educated in a class and also a notebook about all aspects of surgery and the only thing I was unprepared for was to do it myself

Hello, I just found this website. I realise I am a little late in replying, as your op date was yesterday. I hope it went well for you. I would be interested to know. I am due a LTHR on 21st Nov, I am very scared and can't stop myself from questioning my decision. Best wishes to you.

@gianni Welcome to BoneSmart! Please start a thread of your own in the hip pre-op area so that our members can support you through this journey. Here's a link to that area. Just put a title for your thread where it says Thread title and a box will open for you to post in.

Hello, I just found this website. I realise I am a little late in replying, as your op date was yesterday. I hope it went well for you. I would be interested to know. I am due a LTHR on 21st Nov, I am very scared and can't stop myself from questioning my decision. Best wishes to you.
Hi Gianni x I'm not sure if you've seen my other post but I has such an awful day on Friday...I waited in the hospital bed til 6pm and then was told that I should have been informed the day before that it had been rescheduled!!! The nursing staff physios etc had no idea either. Anyway I was super upset and am now due to have the op the same day as you...next Thursday x let's keep in touch xx

Oh Anniec..I'm so sorry for you, that was dreadful for you. It must have been awful building yourself up for the surgery and then have such an anticlimax, and now having to prepare mentally again. You are very brave. I'd like very much to keep in touch and maybe we can support each other. I don't want to be a bad influence on you either because I'm quite anxious.

That would be brilliant x thank you x I was so upset and now working myself up again for this week x where are you from x

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Raithtaxi
Recent bookmarks