THR A new world..there better be coffee

That is so wonderful to do! I can’t stand on both legs yet so I tried it just from sitting down and it was a help. When I get to do it standing I can see how it’ll help even more. So many parts of my body made cracking noises the dogs looked at me. :heehee:

I always wanted to stretch like my whippet does and this gets me close. He always slowly does the front legs and then the back ones. His breed has that arched back and it must feel so good to him.

4 days 5 weeks.
Reading back to the first post op posts: That was ME?
I did get into bed day 7 and have been there.. Last night so snuggly and rolling around wherever I wanted. I tennis balled the piriformis and it was quiet all night. I have had some early discomfort about five am and found that that was due to not having a pillow between the legs. The discomfort was in the knee. the IT band again and that piriformis trying to stretch but rather spasming. So far its not the hip but the muscles that speak. 12 days to six week post op and hopefully I can try the piriformis exercises on You Tube.

Nice sleep no meds . Yesterday went to the movies and out to dinner. This morning an early morning first post op kayak paddle for three hours. No discomfort and able to get in and out with my usual ungrace. Bit of a walk on a forest trail to get to the launch.. no issues all steady.

Pretty much back to doing what I want to do..Now to rebuild endurance(slowly) in walking biking and paddling .
My abs are going to rebel tonight .. Paddling done right is a core strengthening exercise and I have missed it.

We are packing to go camping! It has been very nice here and the colors are coming along

And I no longer think too much about the hip.

Reading back to the first post op posts: That was ME?
This is what BoneSmart is all about. Being able to see just how far you come in your recovery journey. Helps on the days when you feel there is no progress. And delights when you meet your goals.

Well done on getting back to living again!

Oh good! I was afraid to ask you about your camping trip. You seem to be handling your fluctuating days with the hip rather nicely.. Are you able to make ice when camping? I'm not ready to part with my ice yet. :ice:

Now that I ponder this, Im guessing you will have coolers with ice!

I havent iced in two weeks
The only sore/stiff is in the am
It just takes time. What would I ice?
Movement takes the aches away
Now I have to think of what movement I want PT for. The general
exercises I was given are so easy to work into say cooking. I want more

Last edited:
Wow! good for you if you aren't icing and doing well. I'm still icing.. I can feel some warmth around the incision area and feel slight puffiness so it helps keep things calmed down.
Sounds good, @mainegirl1 :walking:

You are doing so great, @mainegirl, a ton of activity, all the things you enjoy that you're now able to do without paying the price afterwards. Rebuilding all of your endurance will, as you've noted, take time but is very achievable. I am working on endurance and rebuilding lazy muscles in my core, glutes and quads, all pretty weak and/or stiff and needing consistent work and time. Onwards. Hope you are having a wonderful Saturday.

@CricketHip my incision scar is lumpy and cool .I now roll around on it without thinking
Even my hip pads in the boat (for rolling) don't bother it. They fit snugly.

I really did not write the post well.

The world grew a lot bigger today with the sweet warm weather and not too much wind and the loon sounds and the passing eagle.

That is what I want for everyone post THR and TKR ; to be able to notice and enjoy some of what the world has to offer.
And to not fixate on how fast we are healing!
And perhaps with a bit of forethought thank you @Cecropia as she did go forth and try to resume what we love to do
Sometimes our minds overplay the what if game and we are paralyzed with Should I or Should I not?
For me with my knee the sofa always won. No more
I have knit four hats and two pairs of socks this time. I needed neither wool hats nor socks!

Your recovery seems to be going really well. You are not afraid to get out and try biking, kayaking, etc. I believe some of your enthusiasm had helped me stick my neck out a little and try, like dragging my bike out and riding around the back yard. I would never have known I was ready, could still be sitting here wondering, should I or shouldn't I. You are an inspiration to all of us also....

@Cecropia my metamorphosed friend, do you agree that part of our recovery is mental?
We battle with the Should I's during recovery.
Early on the Rest Elevate Ice and Don't Push It rules are very important IMO but soon our heads get into patient mode. Of course one cannot be reckless but I think at some point we have to resume our interests . My hobby is not hip. I think mentally we want to interact with others as a person with interests and not "that hip patient "
This is not synonymous with joining the ODIC though without planning it can be.
Low and slow rules. Get your mind out of your hip as much as you can.

I was STILL loving ice at a little over one month out.
Glad you are feeling you are over the hump, but just because we can, doesnt mean we should.:umm:
Please take care ....still early days.

Hi mainegirl1

Just been reading your posts and l'm amazed at all you are doing. The advice given in the UK is so cautious that it probably does keep one a 'patient' far longer than is strictly necessary.
I'm still on omperzone and aspirin for another 5 days ! So until l've finished all my meds from hospital, have my 6 week check, get discharged by OS l'm still technically a patient Lol

I admire all your energy and pioneer spirit !
Can't wait to be doing half of what you're doing.
Still get a little stiff and numb and if un occupied think the worse regarding my prosthetic. But l am a worrier by nature.
It really does seem to be mind over matter concerning recovery from THR
I wish you well - you are inspirational :loveshwr:my hippy twin !

to some extent @Mojo333 I agree. But I am nearly 17 years older than you. I cannot afford to waste time. At your age I had just taken up two week solo canoe expeditions in the sub Arctic. Had I gotten hurt I would have time to spare. I do not have that time now. I need to be in the world.. Including GA! We will be coming back through.. I love the Plains/Americus and Cordele area.

Hi. Mojo333
Cautious by nature,.
Sadly l've seen too many ladies in my job as a carer, topple and fall and do serious injuries because they were impatient and didn't wait for assistance.

Oh in my 30 years as a paramedic I had to pick up lots of people from the floor who thought that today would be better than yesterday but they had chronic health issues. Often involving throw rugs which they were advised to remove and did not.
Falling is an art though.. ( this from a skier who has never broken anything in 56 years skiing). Be careful of the sport of falling is new to you. For me it is a low concern.

And ya know I did do a practice lose my balance and roll in my carpeted bedroom!

Oh my days!
When l'm walking l think if l fall l will do a ninja roll on my good side!
Last year l kept falling and tripping as my balance kept changing and got progressively worse. I'm a pro at falling.
You will know as a paramedic that it is the ones who decide to do something out of the ordinary, climb that ladder, move that furniture - who fall or over balance. In my mind l am as agile as the back flipping 15 yr old l once was. Even muscle memory can't be trusted nowadays - mores the pity.

I won't belabor the point. My grandmother lived to be 106. She took Mass every day. She shopped every day. She lived in a fifth floor walkup in New York City. She was not ignorant of hazards for sure.

Sounds like your Grandmother had the right idea.
Use it or lose it !
I realise the only way to break up that scar tissue is to move and that moving is what we're made to do.
So easy to become sedentary in this day and age.
My job is fairly active so part of me wants to enjoy not rushing around all day every day.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back