THR THR/A Doing Well

Hi @ForumUser
How cool! A lovely vacay in the U.K. Castles, estates and beautiful scenery.
You had a full day. I hope you get the rest you need and maybe some preventative icing tonight also.
I hope you and your wife continue to have a wonderful time.
Safe travels and enjoy!

Isn't it splendid and isn't the recovery struggle SO worth the payoff.
Thanks for coming back and letting new hippys know It Does Get Better!

OK - another update ... 5 months.

I won't bore with photos, but great fun across our recent travels - last left you as we arrived in Bayeux for two days of WWII tours of Normandy.

Headed to Bordeaux - whoops, then there was the train strike ... so, instead of getting on the train, it was taxi to nearest airport (Caen) to rent a car, then drove to Bordeaux. Few days there with friends from Colorado, Maryland, Missouri and Seattle. On and off buses, a minimum of 5 and sometimes as much as 8 miles a day on my Apple Watch (kinda geeky, but does allow one to better understand how much they are walking).

Small group transportation to San Sebastian, SP with tours and walking in between - on and off with baggage ... lots of miles logged in San Sebastian. Way too much food.

Rented car with another couple and headed to a much quainter town called Ribadesella, SP - on the coast. Restaurants about 2 miles from the hotel and we walked it twice a day! Friend had knee replacement about 8 months ago - he did great, but it is again obvious that knees are way harder than hips.

After a few days headed to Madrid with a couple of stops on the way, including Segovia ... dropped the car and walked, and walked and walked.

Taxi and dragging bags in and out of various airports for about 18 hours ...

A bit over three weeks ... a zillion "hip miles" ... if I can do this, anyone can!

:egypdance:
Splendid update!
So nice to know we live in a time where this is possible!
Onward, friemd.

Wonderful update! THR's give us our lives back, it's nothing short of miraculous.
Keep on having fun!

:wow:
Trip of a lifetime! Sounds so great...thanks for updating!
You're certainly doing well and it seems put on a lot of mileage while on vacay.
May it only get better. Enjoy the week!
@ForumUser

5 1/2 months ...

No issues ... beginning to work in flexibility and improving bending.

3-6 miles a day walking ... weather better here so easier. Gait pretty normal, but still get the occasional ”walk straight” from my way better half!

No pain at night, while walking, while sleeping, or when getting out of bed in the morning.

If I can do this, anyone can!

Yep...you've done exceptionally well.
Got to admit I did wonder if you were going to be a hard head or ...
Well worth the recovery struggles and kudos for your invaluable insight.

You've had a pretty stellar recovery so far @ForumUser
You took it slow and did it right after a little stop in the ODIC very early on, remember? You've been a good example and helpful inspiration to others on the forum. Keep up the good work and enjoy the weekend!

Hi All,

Quick note related to different ops and different pain reactions ...

One could tell from my experience between my two hip replacements that I prefer to know where the pain edge is vice simply taking all the narcotics.

On my first hip I took all the meds and felt woozy and believe it slowed my recovery. On the last hip I felt very little pain so took no narcotics after I left hospital.

So, two days ago I had my right big toe ”rebuilt” - think bone growth all around the major ball joint beginning to cause pain as it was generally fused.

Outpatient. Nerve blocks (back of knee and foot) worked perfectly for 32 hours. I was feeling it very slowly wear off at the end on back of calf, so started with 1000 mg of Tylenol. Woke up an hour later in significant pain - far worse than the THR. Far. Worse. Norco is my friend on this one!

And, icing and elevating helps with this, too!

Last edited:
Foot surgery is a totally different experience. There are more nerves in your foot so more screaming from the trauma. I had the same surgery years ago and will never forget that post op pain. Stay ahead of it - things will ease pretty quickly. A TENs machine worked for me.

I appreciate your transparency in all @ForumUser
I'm sorry that you're hurting and happy to hear the Norco is helping. As you know from experience, the pain is only temporary. With any luck the combo of meds, icing and elevating has you resting comfortably and on your way back to healthy and whole very soon.
Wishing you comfort and a peaceful weekend.

@ForumUser
Sorry this has felt so much worse.
Seems like everyone wants to bump sore toes too:nah:
Hope all eases soon.

Hello :xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:
Thanks for your contributions here, Forum User.
I hope you and yours have a very Merry Christmas!
@ForumUser

:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:

:xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon: Me too, what Layla said.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back