THR Mayhip8's recovery thread

@ahipgma happy birthday to your hubby and mum. Celebrate and obviously there will be cake involved too!
@Mayhip8 the tummy question...no I haven't, must say I've been tempted but in general, since I started the side sleeping I've been comfy and have slept. I'm really feeling the benefit of the new hip at night now as before surgery sleep was getting worse and for nearly a year I'd probably only had interrupted sleep every night and it was literally a nightmare and was on really heavy pain relief so feels better to sleep minus drugs!
Bending! Well my OS did say no bending to the floor without the golfers reach as he knew I was planning work return at the time. He didn't say how long for and I feel it's uncomfortable but don't know if that is the subconscious saying don't do it rather than it being that I can't do it. Glad now the weather is getting colder that I can get tights on as I do wear dresses for work regularly though I'm on countdown until it's appropriate to get back in to knee length boots. My usual cut off is October half term until Easter break but outside of that I think boots are too wintery but I'm starting to get cold toes ( because my only comfy work shoes with a mini wedge are peep toes!) so the boots might need to come out earlier! @Mayhip8 your wet cozzie routine made me shiver, as you know me, swimming and anything similar don't get along so having to go home damp makes me cold just thinking about it. Amazing what we will do though and my motto really is that if it makes you happy do it, differences are what makes us great and ladies I think we should keep rewarding ourselves in any way we feel because like @ahipgma mentioned we deserve good things to go with those new hips we've been rewarded with after what we put up with and endured.
Love and hugs to all xxx

I've never been a tummy sleeper mayhip, so I'm happy to finally be able to sleep on both sides again. It was achey fairly quickly for quite some time resulting in lots of tossing and turning, but just the last week or two I've been able to get some good sleep time on my side. Hallelujah! :sleep:

So glad to hear your shoulder is getting better. Soon my friend you'll be out of pain! I can hardly wait. :yes!:

The birthday was fun and thanks for the good wishes! We had burgers, watermelon, sweet corn, pasta with homemade pesto, and! Half a cake that was burnt almond torte and half that was chocolate mousse, @ChrissyW , from my fave bakery. Was car shopping with younger daughter today and what an ordeal. Salesmen say quite a lot and you have to figure out what is true and what is not. Thank goodness it was for her and not for me but she's a pretty hard headed young lady not easily swayed.
Then the stove repair man called and the price to fix it makes one pause to think it might just be better to get a new one, as it turns out this is 12 years old! (We have only been living here 2 years so have to hunt up records the previous owners left us) ugh!!! Deciding on big purchases gives me a headache.
I have been a tummy sleeper my whole life and after the last surgery added that after about 2 months!!ahhhhhh! Will try to start it again after my 6 week check. As long as I'm sleeping exclusively back , I'm in the recliner.
Pretty much powered thru my day as if I didn't have hip surgery fairly recently ( a month today woo hoo ) and my hip is needing rest and ice!! So off to do the same and hope all are having sweet dreams, @Calgal and @Mayhip8 ( glad your shoulder is better) and Chrissy.:sleep::sleep::sleep:

Last edited:
:SUNsmile: Happy Saturday to everybody:SUNsmile:

It's a beautiful sunny day here, it was yesterday too, I chose to do housework instead of being outside in it .
Doing all those jobs that I've not yet got round to and know that I won't be able to after my operation. The job that nobody else sees or does but when they're done you sit there and think "yep that feels clean and tidy and fresher. "
Consequently I rather wore myself out, and was unable to make tea for everybody (food T not TT ) and so we just had to sacrifice sometime in the evening to go out to a good chippy near us , eating the most delicious fish chips ,mushy peas and curry sauce that I've had since the last time !
Well my trial week at the gym is over and I have to say how much I enjoyed swimming every day, I didn't manage to get on the bike because there were no trainers available to show me how at the time.
I will probably just go to the Local pool now , as there is no point in paying for a gym membership Just now ,but will seriously consider it after the next op .
I am working today and so my family are out volunteering or working or shopping - I hope to have a few hours in the garden this evening as the sun sets - I might even have a little outdoor fire !
My left leg has been fantastic after swimming it's strange I noted different little tweaks of pain in very small areas of all of the leg and especially the feet - I probably haven't used those little muscles or ligaments For a while and swimming helped to wake them up and move safely . I know you Wouldn't like that @ChrissyW and you can't yet swim @ahipgma and your fitness Is improving @Calgal so I was thinking why don't we see if we can sneak in a day out to a space station and see if they will let us Float around gravity free for a few hours? I wonder what that would feel like ? :snork:
Whatever you do today I hope you stay safe, have fun and make lovely memories

:loveshwr::roseshwr::loveshwr::friends::flwrysmile:

You sound like your recovery is progressing nicely and you're pretty much back in action, until October when you have your RTHR. So nice to hear, especially since you have such a demanding job. I haven't done much swimming lately, but it's one of the best non-weight bearing exercises there is.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,
As I type Ms Ari is getting into mischief.
We have an unexpected but welcome visit. I'm still stiff and slow from Lefty and strangely enough Righty had been having some aches and twinges, because of being leaned upon.
I recognize the pain as being tissue and muscle pain, though, and not bone pain,and something that will get better in time, not worse. I belong to a gym that has a pool so really excited to do anything PT recommends. My only bummer right now is that I'm still sleeping in my recliner. I just cant get comfortable in bed, because both my scars are too sore to sleep on, which is odd because I could sleep on the right before but hopefully in time it will all resolve.
I received not much in the way of postop instructions, at least not as in depth as I would have liked. I'm hoping this PT will be helpful too.
Still functioning without a stove so well see what we can get up to on the grill tonight! Fish and chips sounds great as well @Mayhip8!
Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend!:SUNsmile::SUNsmile::SUNsmile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello :wave: @Mayhip8
Just noticed your new date of October 2nd. Thankfully you didn't have to wait too long after the unexpected cancelation. I hope you're holding up okay and your pain isn't too unbearable.
Wishing you comfort as you wait and a nice weekend! :)

Happy Sunday everyone:loveshwr:. @Mayhip8 did you get the little fire pit going and were any marshmallows involved if you did? @ahipgma i wS wondering what mischief Ari had been up to! Also as you're stove less what did you end up making on the grill? We made the most of yesterday's sunshine going and sitting in a beer garden In The afternoon. Lots of families really mKing the most of that late summer sunshine. Yesterday we had a carpenter come make a new door in our hallway, creating a porch area, all done so the cat can't try to get out of the front door even though she's never ventured near it! Anyway at the moment the house smells of freshly sawn wood, a lovely smell.
It's going to be a normal Sunday for me with some prep work for the week at some point after a potter around a local village and the little shops. Do enjoy the day everyone and @Mayhip8 maybe a float around a space station might be interesting!:egypdance:

Hello :wave: @Mayhip8
Just noticed your new date of October 2nd. Thankfully you didn't have to wait too long after the unexpected cancelation. I hope you're holding up okay and your pain isn't too unbearable.
Wishing you comfort as you wait and a nice weekend! :)
Thanks @Layla - i'm torn between planning for it and ignoring that it's going to happen! Hope your day is a good one:loveshwr:

Haha. I can relate, I did the "ignore" to the best of my ability. But my sister likes to accuse me of having a Scarlett O' Hara mentality. "I'll think about it tomorrow".
Whatever works for you, dear Mayhip, whatever gets you through.
We're here for you. :)
@Mayhip8

@ahipgma I trust Ari is keeping you suitably entertained?
It is the week of broken appliances I feel, my dishwasher broke two weeks ago and despite going through everything we can think of to try and repair it I fear it is RIP. And so we go on the search for a new one - all I want is a dishwasher that washes dishes but I have to make a choice of far too many things so I think I'll just stick a pin in the page and pick" that one ":snork:....I hope you get your stove sorted If you want me to pick a new one for you I'll use the same technique?!
I'm still amazed at how are you progressing, can you remember how long you were sleeping out of your bed for with your first hip? I think what I might do is look back on my posts to give me a potted timeframe of my recovery. Or not. I just said to @Layla I'm either thinking about it or ignoring the fact my op is planned in 10 days time. Perhaps I'm in prepared denial.
@ChrissyW I love the fact you've made something for your cat your cat didn't really want in the first place! It'll be like a little snug for her will it? Its own pad so to speak.:yellowcat:

We didn't manage the marshmallows last night as I was slightly exhausted after work and needed to lie down.
I've just got three days to work this week and then I'm off! I'd love to plan a cheeky weekend to my home of Wales i'm not sure I can make the journey .
Also it's my sons 16th birthday on Thursday so I am looking forward to cake ,jelly and ice cream ! -I'm not sure he will be he'll probably want something a bit more grown-up now:heehee:
Anyway I actually popped on my iPad to find out how long I could keep Hens eggs for! The use by date was September 8 and I have about 18 (I must've overbought for some reason !)...and have just found them -I'm not sure whether to bin them or make the worlds biggest omelette ?! but I don't want to crack One open in case it's stinky and I don't want to throw them away in case that's wasteful! I think I'm having one of those days!

Maybe I'll catch up with you later when my brain settles down:rotfl:
much love to all

:loveshwr::roseshwr::loveshwr:

Put the egg in a tall glass of water. If it sinks it's still good. If it floats to the top it's bad (gas!). If it goes sort of half way it's probably ok. We've had hens for a long time and this little trick saved a lot of eggs from unnecessary waste. :thumb:

Glad to see your new (soon!) date. And very glad you don't have many more work days. Sending you good relaxing karma till the big day. :egypdance:

Put the egg in a tall glass of water. If it sinks it's still good. If it floats to the top it's bad (gas!). If it goes sort of half way it's probably ok. We've had hens for a long time and this little trick saved a lot of eggs from unnecessary waste. :thumb:
Thankyou ! I'll do this @Calgal :thankyou::loveshwr:

Hi all
@Mayhip8 we've decided to get the stove repaired, it will cost much less to fix it than to duplicate the one I have new so we are taking a chance on a 12 year old appliance, as that is quite elderly for these throwaway appliances they make nowadays. We are waiting for the part and then our guy has to bring it and put it in. My sympathies on the death of your dishwasher...
You have lots of birthdays in September! A nice distraction from your wait to celebrate another. In our family you pick your celebratory sweet.
I've made carrot cakes, cheesecakes, apple pie, @ChrissyW what do you think of that? As we both love shopping and cake... hope your school year is going well.
I'm excited that you will have 2 new hips at last Mayhip. It is great to have no arthritis on either side. I just hope they stick to your date!! Is that what is done sometimes in your health system? You've got great patience and outlook, and that will carry you through those first rough weeks, but here in week 5 I feel strange actually to walk as straight as I am and have as little pain as I do, strange and wonderful after 3 years of pain!. @Calgal I hope
your PT is going great, cant wait to start mine after the 6 week blessing.
And soon well have to shaking some pompoms for Mayhip, a matter of days!!! @Layla you may join us, as you are everyone's fave cheerleader anyway!!!!
Love and hugs

Well looking out at the dreary rain and hubby telling me we have a yellow weather warning tomorrow so the weekend was well and truly the end of summer. Autumn (fall to the across the ponders) is here, dark nights but a good excuse for a glowing fire and lots of candles and twinkling lights!
@Mayhip8 rather than the cat having her own little snug she's actually now got a whole full house and it's amazing how much warmer it feels having a new 'porch' shutting the cold out, away from the main house. @ahipgma your backing sounds great, cake is always good (as is apple pie but I have to have mind warm with custard) and @Mayhip8 i totally agree with the jelly, ice cream and cake and I'm sure, deep diem, it's what your son would like, though he'd never admit it to his friends! So food talk over. I've been practising the cheer but cannot perfect the throwing myself in the air and spinning on my head though mr emoji can do it perfectly so I think he should lead the cheer team now we are approaching your matching hip @Mayhip8 :spin:
I also think we should start planning another trip, somewhere where we can drink hot chocolate, wear snugly clothes and look like we're in a movies 24 film (disclaimer ...other channels are available) with a feel good ending:yay::flwrysmile::yay:

I officially retired today!!!!!woohoo!. My hub said " I hope this is the beginning of a whole new chapter for you." Very kind when he has at least 4 more years to go.
( He is 4 years younger than I)
I may go back and do something, but in the new year or beyond, but all I'm about now is healing, enjoying the rest of the year, and cheering for @Mayhip8 next and last hip!:egypdance:

Yup @ChrissyW summer is well and truly gone here in blighty. Glad to see you're prepared now to be all tucked up and cozy. @Mayhip8 you'll soon be in your snug nest hopefully sleeping soundly on lovely codeine or other such blissful narcotics. :heehee: hopefully you'll be up and at it by the holiday season. :angel:

:shocked: Well it's still raining here and it's probably time to get that ARK out again! :kayak:
Congratulations on your retirement proper @ahipgma :yahoo: A brand new different chapter in your life to explore and enjoy ! I know it was probably a big decision for you and you've mentioned since we first met that you've been mulling it over- I think it's fair to say you've done an amazing length of service:yes!: and now I know you will Serve in a different way, hopefully with less walking and less pain!:walking:

@ChrissyW hope the torrents didn't cause too much damage today - I'm watching the road cycling time trials from Rippon just now on TV and they have Puddle Marshalls :shocked:
I generally love autumn with its smells and colours but I don't really like soggy walks as I have this fear of falling now, (I have no idea why I think I should fall because I didn't used to before my hip surgery ! ) however I managed to get to the shops this afternoon for some essential stuff. I'm working later so I've prepared home-made meatballs in a tomato ,pepper ,smoked paprika sauce to slosh over some pasta. And in custom with dark damp and chilly autumn evenings we are having apple strudel with lashings of cream. I won't be lighting the log fire in the room I'm working in tonight as I will probably gently fall asleep after that massive intake of carbohydrates!
@Calgal on days like today I'm actually looking forward to snuggling in my nest pain-free and hallucinating on opiates (they give me really crazy dreams but they help the pain ! )
I feel a real energy drain today -I didn't sleep at all last night for whatever reason, I couldn't even muster the energy to go for a swim this morning so I've just rested and mooched and done some housework and cooking and walked to the shop - It's quite common to do a full days work before you go to do a late shift or a twilight if you don't remind yourself to rest! When I think of what I do no wonder I feel tired! :yawn:
My soggy children are returning from school now so I think we'll all have an hour or so together to dry out and chat or rest or nap ( I know which I'm choosing)
Have a safe and snuggly evening everybody
:loveshwr::loveshwr::roseshwr::flwrysmile:

Great minds think alike, @Mayhip8 - I just finished making apple and pear strudel too!! Used fruit from my own little trees. Already bottled 10 jars of applesauce. Love autumn! Take care and don't work too hard! Start banking up that energy. :flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom