THR Struggle has been real!!!

With each week that passes I am seeing a lot of progress with the exception of my left IT band and knee area.. I try to focus on the good and will deal with the bad when I have mri in a few weeks. A month ago it was toddler steps tightness on both sides groin area that held me back in trying to achieve longer strides I also began medical Excercise and massage twice a week
I have lost 6 lbs tightness is gone- longer strides- I have to use cane when my left side cannot bear weight and knee buckles, I have to admit when my massage therapist started being more agressive this week it has helped my muscles.
I go to the same place for both and both of my therapists have worked together and focused on my areas that need attention.
I wasn’t eating enough to give me energy as my appetite has changed since surgeries I have no desire for any fast food I eat the same things fruit veg and a few meats for protein
I enjoy my pecan pie and treat myself once a week..I started eating more I do have more energy and now losing weight
I stopped using my Fitbit a few weeks back I found myself thinking ok 4500 steps a day is my limit it’s time to rest and do nothing else rest of day.. for me it became a ‘ this is all I can do’ so to challenge myself , I will start wearing it again, it will be interesting to see how many steps have increased
I can now lay in bed and cross both legs at ankles no discomfort or pain
I can sleep on either side longer periods of time up until 6 weeks ago I could not sleep in bed.. 11 weeks in my recliner I thought I would never be able to get in my bed
Bending forward to pick something up or get into cabinet is still uncomfortable I do not have to use an aid to get socks on but still painful as well as getting in and out of car and sitting too long.. but I can tell this has also gotten much better
I am so excited to start seeing benefits it is truly amazing
Weeks ago I began to put my house back in order dishes pots and pans back in cabinets towels and personal items back ..my stations
I had set up for waist level - I used TV trays in each room
The lifter on toilet is my last and today I am packing it away ! it is time.

Best update ever!! So happy that you are seeing improvement. Can't even imagine how good it felt to return your home back to normal. It's been a long time for you! Two hips in a short amount of time, hopefully soon this long summer will be a distant memory.
Your weight loss sounds positive also and your healthy eating-I'm so happy for you! :yes:

I missed an entire season lol.. I had just got my spring summer clothes out .. and realized last week it’s time to reorganize closet for fall winter
I have 2 pair of slip on sneakers
I was looking at my loafers and boots I have to replace the outside of heels are worn down where I was walking on outside of feet never really paid much attention but as I was bagging them up to throw away I felt a sense of renewness and a weight lifted off my shoulders.. sounds silly I know
Thank you @CricketHip you have been a dear friend

@Mojo333 thank you as well for being a dear friend I remember those earlier days when you told me better days to come hips have their own timeline I was so sick thinking ..”ohh I just don’t think I will ever come out of all this”
“How will I manage to go back to work”
Besides the nagging pain on left and even with that going on I know I am going to have better days ahead! Lol.. now if mri shows bad knee..I will moan a bit..hmm maybe a lot Lol
I’m not going to concern myself or waste negative energy based on “what if’s” I am having too much fun getting to know my new hips !!!

I’m not going to concern myself or waste negative energy based on “what if’s” I am having too much fun getting to know my new hips !!!

Atta girl! As Debbie Downer as it sounds, none of us are promised tomorrow, so your attitude is an extremely healthy one. Seize the day. Hope yours is a good one!
@Aline

@Aline awesome update, you are definitely coming right along! It is amazing when we look back to the early days and see how far we've come.

@Layla thank you for all your support and pulling the reins back when I was trying so hard and pushing too much too soon you were right and now I understand and so grateful:roseshwr:
The last six months prior to my surgeries I struggled to walk —-the pain drained the life out of me
it has been a different type of pain the last 4 months and I woke up yesterday feeling different sounds silly but it was exhilarating! The benefits of eating healthy ...and enough to fuel my body as well as drinking a lot of water has been huge factors

Hello Aline,
You're welcome! I'm happy that you were willing to look at your activity level, re-evaluate and scale back.
It's wonderful to see you doing so well. I just realized it's Lefty's Four Month Anniversary today. Woohoo! :happydance:
I hope you'll move forward at a safe pace and continue to enjoy progress for many months to come. It does keep getting better. Thanks for the inspirational update...I'll continue to follow your journey. :)
@Aline

OS called today checking up on my left knee told him not much relief from cortisone shot he has put in order for MRI just waiting for hospital to call. I had to see primary doctor this afternoon for physical and blood work for work health insurance she examined and looked at my knee she said it appears to be a large knot of muscles in the IT band.. it basically looks like I have 2 kneecaps and there is swelling on inside of leg I have been selective in how much I walk to reduce the sharp pain all I can do until I find out, other than this my recoveries are doing well

it basically looks like I have 2 kneecaps and there is swelling on inside of leg I have been selective in how much I walk to reduce the sharp pain all I can do until I find out,
Oweeee :console2:
Sorry about your knee struggles.
Do let us know what the MRI shows.

Sending healing mojo your way @Aline :roseshwr:

You have really had a time with it. One thing after another, but your attitude remains positive, something to be admired. I do hope it's that pesky IT band that's giving you some grief (that can be resolved with the right kind of massage to it and surrounding muscles; quads and hamstrings). Better than another joint replacement. As I was reading through your thread I was struck at your amazing survival instincts. Or conscientiousness. I can't imagine going the lengths that you have had to do to get to your work, and another job on top of that, especially when in pain. You are a marvel to behold. Let us know how your hip(s) recovery goes and if and how you resolve new issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Mojo333 here is a picture of my knee getting uncomfortable can you find my kneecap? Lol it’s getting tough on this old gal

Attachments

• AF9F42E1-5F9C-461E-BDFF-CA2519404E93.jpeg
    AF9F42E1-5F9C-461E-BDFF-CA2519404E93.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 184
Oh @Aline Thank you for your kind words, it's been a tough road for you at times.. glad I could offer some support. Now, my goodness, look at that knee! :console2:
If it is indeed the IT Band and not the joint? That can be worked on.. I so hope it's 'just' soft tissue, you've been through so much with your THR journeys and it makes sense that it's taken a toll on some of the support muscles and tendons.
Are you still elevating and icing when you can? That would help the swelling recede.. which would help the inflammation. I hope your MRI people call you for the appointment soon and that you had a good, restful weekend. :flwrysmile:

@CricketHip the more I have begun to feel better the more I have noticed consistene pain on the left. The right has had me busy recovering from infections etc. I began journaling around July 1st mainly to track progress for doctors I was having issues that far back my sister also reminded me after left was done in May...I was unable to walk without a limp throwing my back off and complaints when she had taken me to grocery the day before second surgery on June 10th which was close to a month later
I have thought to this point it was a part of recovery The more I use it the larger it gets and it can become painful.. my knee buckles so I have to use a cane there have been times I almost got the walker out for stability
My OS stated he may have done something which I am inclined to believe
I am elevating and icing even at work my days are spent working until 1 and medical Excercise and a massage tues and thurs.
on weekend I go to store and laundry and in bed remainder of both days
I’m canceling my appts this week I am starting to become tired and avoiding the time on my feet .. I get about 2000 steps in and it become unmanageable only thing I regret about having both done within weeks of each other there was so much going on
I do expect the hospital to call me today if not I will be calling OS in the morning
As always thank you for the support hope all is well with you
Ailene

That knee looks so painful and oh my stars...so swollen.
I do expect the hospital to call me today if not I will be calling OS in the morning
Please do. They need to be figuring this out.
Healing hugs coming your way @Aline

I am too far into recovery 17 weeks I have to agree

I'm so sorry @Aline your knee does look painfully swollen. Do you notice any relief after icing and elevating?
I'm surprised your OS mentioned he "may have done something" and assuming he's talking about the dislocation process? I hope you find relief soon because it sounds like it's really holding you back. Please stay in touch and let us know what you hear.
Sending a hug your way. :console2:

@Layla thanks I forgot to mention I’m back in the recliner I don’t see too much difference after icing and elevating I cancelled my tues thurs appts for massage and Medical Excercise this week he does not work on anything below waist all excercises have been for upper strength.. massages are done on lower back hips and left IT Band.. my lower back is full of hardware and walking with limp has caused a lot of discomfort and spasms. The knee is increasing with swelling and now today I’m swelled on right side of chin bone calf area I attached a picture I emailed doctor both of them this morning I always get calls late afternoon just waiting to hear back
Unfortunately I know something is terribly wrong
His exact words to me were “ Probably something I did, do you want MRI or cortisone shot” he didn’t really state anything more
I quit taking the bus about a month ago too much walking been ubering ...on weekends I spend about hour grocery I use the handicap scooter, I did manage to sneak in a haircut.. went pixie style it is really short but feels great I think all my unhealthy hair is gone this is the Forth time I’ve cut it since mid July.
Last time I was out socially was Labor Day weekend for my granddaughters birthday
I will check back in once I find out about MRI

Attachments

• 5A69B4B4-974C-4B77-8E0E-0E52FB722F27.jpeg
    5A69B4B4-974C-4B77-8E0E-0E52FB722F27.jpeg
    149.8 KB · Views: 170

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online