THR Getting mixed messages on PT after THR<

You are such a good girl, @Debru4, if you're willing to not only read about but possibly implement different forms of exercise into your life. I am interested in reading about them, but I admit I'm not very good on follow-through. Also, for what it's worth, Pilates classes can't be that challenging (at least the right ones) as I found them helpful if, and it's a big IF, you don't do things which you aren't ready to do. I've attended a local parks and rec class where the pace isn't high powered or overly rigorous. A good teacher is critical and there are lots of things in Pilates I can't do--but enough such that I feel it does give me a good workout when I've taken these classes. Hoping to be able to start up again in January 2020.

Last edited:
I doubt I will do Pilates..it seems to difficult for me and expensive. I wish I had your discipline Barbara with exercise. I hope to feel that way too one day.

Good morning, @Debru4 Hope you're waking up to some sunshine and the prospect of a good Monday. Sounds like with your recent injury you'll be hunkering down a bit until you recover, but are you restricted from all activity or just certain ones? Seems like walking is always encouraged unless you're pretty seriously disabled. Here's to a sunshine day and maybe a slow stroll. And, @lotusbuds, you just haven't found an exercise that motivates you, that's my view. Spend time exploring what is available and maybe you'll find something that provides you with the right mixture of movement and then, with a bit of practice (they say it takes at least a month to get a "habit" firmly set) you might turn into a regular exerciser.

@Barbaraj I wanted to let you know I do have an exercise I am passionate about...swimming. I love being in the water since I was a small child. This summer I have been swimming 4-5 times a week and am now up t o 30 minutes crawl. I hope to keep up that amount in the winter as the outdoor pool I swim in just closed Friday. I will do 3 times a week for sure. I need more exercise though. I do like my recumbent bike but after 15 minutes (I started at 3 minutes ha ha) my knee starts to hurt. I need to be disciplined and get walking is my next goal...with my poles at first. I need weight bearing exercise. The only classes I take are the Feldenkrais which is more stretching than exercise and water aerobics. I am not going to do pilates I decided just yet if ever. I recently retired so will take chair yoga once to see if I like it. I do think its awesome that for you its no question to get out and do some form of exercise daily. I get lazy so easily..ha ha Thanks for all the hints and tips and keep them coming everyone.

Last edited:
@Barbaraj--It was a beautiful day here in CO--80s, dry, and sunny! I can still stay active---just can't do the stretches or structured exercises that involve the core. I'm very glad the PT felt that resting the ribs/core was needed, because already I am feeling less uncomfortable when I laugh, cough, or bend---something I couldn't say a week ago! (Although if he hadn't suggested it, I would have, but still reassuring that he took the lead.)

@lotusbuds What type of a recumbent bike do you use?

@Debru4 I got it on craigslist barely used. Exerpeutic 900 XL. It was already set up. I think you can buy them new and have the store set it up for you already. They are about $169 new and I got it for $110.
I have it on the easiest setting at the moment. It doesn't have something to put hold your phone or a tablet which I don't like as I listen to music while on it. So I have a small folding bench next to it.
Nice that you have such good weather right now. It started raining here which is unusual for this time of year and is feeling like fall. Glad you you are feeling less uncomfortable.
Did I tell you guys that my Feldenkrais teacher is giving me a free 30 minute session to work on getting up and down off the ground! I am so thrilled as it was a challenge for me last week. More from fear than any pain. Just couldn't do it even though PT had given me some ideas and I watched a few you tube videos.
Have a great day!

I needed PT after HR for all of the parts of me that had to compensate for my bad hip prior to surgery, and my psoas needed (and still does) lots of attention. I found the stretches the most beneficial as well as core strengthening exercises. Also my right leg took a long time to get as strong as the left after surgery, that puts additional wear elsewhere. Once my right hip was replaced I noticed all of the other parts that needed TLC but had been overshadowed from the hip pain. If you don't have those issues perhaps you won't need PT, but I'd still encourage stretching and core strengthening.

Glad you're taking it easy, @Debru4 Starting up with all the exercises again before you're recovered might lead to yet another injury (since all those pesky body parts seem to be connected). Just chill out and do what has been prescribed. And so jealous of your warm and sunny weather--raining and miserable here AGAIN today. And @lotusbuds if you enjoy swimming you should continue that as you're able. I personally loathe swimming, and I think it dates back to needing glasses as a child and finding swimming bewildering and difficult as a result. I can swim, but absolutely will not do it unless required (although I do know how to swim). So, stroke away and I will work on getting back to Pilates after the first of the year!

@AJinNH--boy, that's the truth. My hip replacement recovery went very well, with no PT needed, but as I went back to a much more active (too active probably) life, other areas have been spotlighted, that had been impacted by the 18 months of bad hip/then hip replacement. But worth it all to get that hip replaced, and even have the option of resuming so many more activities. (But maybe not the slip and slide!:rotfl:) I want to age actively, but also hopefully painlessly. :flwrysmile:

@lotusbuds How much room does the recumbent bike take up? @Barbaraj Do you have an elliptical at home or use the one at the gym? Space needed? When winter comes I am often a real homebody, hibernating inside and entertaining myself very easily. Wondering if having a piece of equipment would help, OR if it would be one more thing to ignore.:shrug:
:heehee:

@Debru4 We keep the bike in the carport even in damp cold winter but used to have it in house. It doesn't take a lot of room. It is heavy but has wheels so in the house could turn it around to watch tv.
I used to love the elliptical but not sure if its good for bad knee.
Enjoy that beautiful weather!

No, @Debru4 I only have a trusty stairclimber at home, which was my exercise equipment of choice for years (grumpily blame some of my hip problems on daily overuse) until I discovered the elliptical at the gym which is so much easier on the hips. Stairclimber is simply a giant dust catcher at the moment and needs to be donated. I'd love a home elliptical but don't really have the space, but it's so nice to be able to exercise in your underwear, the biggest advantage of home exercise equipment in my opinion. But home equipment is ONLY sensible if you use it, so think carefully before you expend any money on that. When I bought my stairclimber I got a good (read: expensive) one because I wanted a gym quality piece of equipment and, for me, knowing I spent a ton of money on it was motivation to use it and thus justify the expense. But that's just how I'm wired.

@Barbaraj ---you've spotlighted my concern, and knowing myself, it's probably not wise to purchase any equipment of my own until I know I like it, and can/will safely use it (the knee issue mentioned by @lotusbuds, coupled with my randomness). I don't really have a convenient space set up for it, but as I've mentioned, I'm trying to be open to new possibilities for fitness and want to be sure I understand what is involved with some of the options:)

Good decision, @Debru4 Try out different kinds of equipment at a nearby gym or rec center to get a feel for how the equipment works and how comfortable you are using it. I loved having an in-home piece of equipment for the reasons I've outlined, but it is an expense, it will take up valuable real estate in your home, and you need to be committed to using it regularly. Take your time to explore your options!

And you may find that neither the gym nor home equipment works. I have a stationary bike in front of the TV and get bored after 10 minutes
The gym is a far drive. And I am not motivated to drive 30 miles to work out for an hour especially during the seven months of winter.
I found that if I can get some neighbors to join me, classes are fun. The library has some and its closer. What motivates me most is just outdoors. I can ride or walk far more out there than on equipment. I have had Nordic Trak, and rowers and treadmills.. All were not worth it for me.

These days gyms seem to be desperate to attract customers and have cheap rates so it is worth a try.

Merry Christmas @Debru4
:presents-under-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:

And thank you for your calm, kind words of support to other members.

Hope the upcoming year brings you much happiness.:) :-) (:

Merry Christmas! :plugging-in-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:

Thanks @Elf1! I hope you had a very Merry Christmas as well! You are doing such a great job as a new forum advisor---they made a great choice in inviting you to join them! :loveshwr:

Thanks for your kind words @Mojo333! I hope you had a very jolly Christmas, and that your coming year is filled with blessings.

Your humor, wisdom, and compassion provide a lifeline to so many people here on the forum when they most need it. :loveshwr:

It's also nice of you to stay in touch with those of us who are a ways out from surgery as we try to pay it forward and support others here on the forum.:flwrysmile:

Happy New Year! @Debru4
Thank you for your thoughtful contributions to the forum this past year.
Wishing you all the best as we enter 2020. Many blessings to you in this New Year. :)

:new-year-toast-smiley-emoticon:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks