Two weeks to go...prep recommendations?

kfisher119

Country
United States United States
Thanks to everyone who's been sharing their advice and experience. I've got two weeks and one day to go. I want to get my house equipped and was wondering what everyone found most useful for facilitating comfort and independence.

Welcome! Here's what I've found most useful:
Several reacher/grabbers strategically placed.
I'm tall so I had low furniture put up on risers (couch, bed) and installed a raised toilet seat.
I rented a power recliner but then rarely used it--others have loved their recliners.
I have a combination tub/shower--I set up a transfer bench so I could take seated showers.
I live alone so I used the local Meals on Wheels program for the first couple of weeks. I also made sure frequently used dishes, pots, etc. were in easy reach and not stored on low shelves.
My freezer is on the bottom so I organized it for easy access when bending is limited.
Made sure clothes I wear a lot were easily accessible (no low drawers).

I'm sure there's a lot more that others will chime in with!

Hi @kfisher119 Here's a great link with a comprehensive list of recovery aides and suggestions:

Read through them when you have time, I know they were a big help to me when I was going through my first THR.
My recovery room was perfect!! It gave me great comfort and joy... wow. I sound like a Christmas song..:loll:

The next 2 weeks will go fast! At least they did for me. Good luck!

Hi @kfisher119 a few things I found indispensable, that I used for both hips- - a thrift shop very loose lightweight sundress/jumper with huge deep pockets.
A foot scrubber for the shower , look for Shower Sandal on Amazon.
Amazon Prime lol
Kitting my walker out with containers which draped over the frame: in front, a chef's apron with deep pockets, on one side a tote bag, on the other my purse. I could carry my entire recovery around.
A spiral notebook for the "journal". Starting in the hospital after initial pain management turned into "by the clock" and continuing for weeks, my charts for what med when were recorded, every visit of some new provider, discharge papers, hip provider bills, every phone call of a hip nature, recovery journalling, whatever I felt should be written down went in there.
A big bag of almonds and lots of yogurt. I'd choose pecans now. I needed something fatty to take with my narcotics.
Setting a timer or alarm on my phone for meds taking.
A stash of favorite reading.
That's all I can think of now!

I’d agree with all above although I didn’t get the grabber since I had my husband around to pick up anything if needed. I did get a dressing stick from Amazon and found that helpful those first couple of weeks. It works to grab clothes or socks you drop but not much of anything else. I made a bag for my walker so I could put my phone, IPad, a book, snacks, drink, meds in there to carry with me. It made me more self sufficient. You can find free patterns online if you sew and if you don’t, there are many available online for sale, especially on a site like Etsy. We were able to “borrow” a shower chair from our local rescue squad. They keep a huge inventory of medical supplies for people to use as needed. There may be a similar facility in your area. You can inquire at a nearby senior center or Office of Aging or maybe a nearby PT facility. The hospital should provide you with a cane and walker but other items are also sometimes for sale at thrift stores. Sending good wishes your way. I’m sure you will make out just fine.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom