MUA knee so stiff<<

Doctor gave me a letter that states I had a Obvious Varus deformity- could this be one of the reason I suffering pain on Medial side now due to previous deformity
@bland9 I think you should focus on asking specifically about this particular medical anomaly. This former deformity you’ve had that surgeon repaired may need special attention .. at very least perhaps a different type of therapy.

I'm glad you were able to get an appointment quickly. I hope you can get a good explanation of what is going on. Please keep us posted and good luck.

Last edited:
Well what more can I say -Surgeon done x-ray and blood test- He stated knee looks great ,does not expect Infection etc, Stated I must really work the knee through pain- if not I will lose the knee, reason why severe pain on Medial side is because of stretching during OP. Pain is something I got to endure and see you in three months-
Why I got bent knee is just because of stiffness and needs working on- so There it is chronic pain for the unforeseeable future

Last edited:
Sorry your surgeon wasn't more encouraging. Hopefully just steady "retraining" of the muscles, ligaments etc will do it. The surgery does realign things and those tissues don't just bounce back quickly, particularly when we've had a large varus or valgus situation pre-op.

I know I had to retrain how I walked a bit. I had a tendency to turn my foot out a hair. I noticed this on stairs. If I didn't concentrate on keeping my foot straight it would hurt (IIRC on the medial side.) Could this be part of what's causing some of your pain?

Went to PT she reported my knee not good cannot bend it pass 80 and cannot bend it straight so walk with a limp also she say if it don't straighten soon it will never do. Signed me off stating cannot help me no more
Surgeon not sure why knee will not bend just states it stiffness and my lose the knee. so now worse state than I started

You are not long out from your MUA, you still have time to improve! I am 9 weeks post revision and my bend is barely 70 degrees. Some of us take longer especially if the surgery has realigned or straightened the leg. It took a long time to get like that so it follows it can take time to recover.

It took me over 18 months to get a good ROM of motion. I had an infection and never once did anyone tell me I might lose my knee. If there’s no visible reason for the stiffness chances are it is internal swelling especially if someone is pushing your knee. The best think you can do after an MUA is rest the knee and not push it to bend too much. I wore an immbolizer for 4-6 weeks and eventually got a good ROM, so it’s possible.

@bland it does take time, gentle consistent stretching and of course rest to get your ROM back. Remember even if we go to gym to workout it takes several months to achieve muscle and or ligament training. I can vouch for this. Don’t give up, I think the key is to keep trying for few minutes several times daily to bend maybe little bit more than you have been and straighten bit more over several days. This has been helping me.. Be sure to elevate/ice afterwards if possible. Did the therapist give you any different exercises or directions to do at home?

Stated I must really work the knee through pain- if not I will lose the knee,
also she say if it don't straighten soon it will never do. Signed me off stating cannot help me no more
Surgeon not sure why knee will not bend just states it stiffness and my lose the knee. so now worse state than I started
Both your surgeon and your PT therapist have told you something that isn't correct.
It makes me angry when I hear how they frighten you with dire predictions.

You are in no danger of losing your knee.
It's probably their insistence on you pushing through the pain that has prevented your knee from increasing ROM, both bending and straightening.
Myth busting: no pain, no gain

All that tough treatment has kept your knee swollen and upset. It needs time and gentle treatment, so it can calm down and its swelling will decrease.

It's only 4 months since your surgery and complete recovery takes a full year. You still have plenty of time.
There's no need to rush to get ROM (Range of Motion) because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

It's not exercising that gets you your ROM - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, and it will gradually increase as your knee heals.

Today been out constant pain with bent knee , had to laugh - getting in and out of car is a sight for sore eyes.
Still needing both crutches has without I will fall on floor cannot stand more than 10 minutes before pain sets in another appointment in months time with surgeon again. not sure if I should book myself on a pain management course and see if this will help. need to do something before return to work very soon

Been resting leg all day and just sitting and thinking - what a waste of time the MUA was. Rom worsened and
cannot straighten leg even though leg not very swollen at all.
Limping well and walking on tip toes on OP leg . never mind back to work soon , in a lovely state and even if Surgeon suggest a Revision I going have to survive a further 8 months of this.
Sorry to be so negative but this is NOT NORMAL in the scheme of things.
talking to a nice young PT person yesterday .whom never met before said . its not normal at this stage to be in the state you are in

Don’t give up, I think the key is to keep trying for few minutes several times daily to bend maybe little bit more than you have been and straighten bit more over several days.
Have you tried laying prone on bed (just enough to gradually increase knee exposure) to let gravity pull /straighten few minutes daily? I know it can be painful for more than a minute at first, but I suggest doing it twice daily to start after pain meds/Tylenol etc are working ..

@knee#2 :flwrysmile: Yes been trying that though extremely painful but still nothing -swelling not so evident now , since MUA rom got worse too but im not worried about that, its the straightening and walking with very bad limp and constant pain, after seeing Surgeon and he saying all is OK ,its difficult to know whats going on an d why leg does not straighten :old:and still very much rely on crutches

Just want to scream aloud- 4 months Post OP and Im really sick of this pain on the medial side its really bad when o when does this pain eases .its all getting to much, cannot say doing anything over taxing ,

@bland9 do you have prescription pain relief or using Tylenol extra strength? Did your OS give you advice concerning the pain and or control? So sorry you still continue battling this pain and strengthening problem :sad:

Doctor gave me a letter that states I had a Obvious Varus deformity- could this be one of the reason I suffering pain on Medial side now due to previous deformity
@bland9 I think you should focus on asking specifically about this particular medical anomaly. This former deformity you’ve had that surgeon repaired may need special attention .. at very least perhaps a different type of therapy.

Varus deformity just means that you were bow-legged in that leg. It's quite common when the medial compartment of your knee has lost most, or all, of its cartilage. The joint space between your femur and your tibia becomes narrowed, so your femur sits unevenly on your tibia.

The opposite happens if it is the lateral compartment of your knee that has lost its cartilage and you'd then become knock-kneed (valgus).

I think this image show quite well how it happens:
2489f8354caf1d6902eccf3fea3d4ba5.jpg

I don't know why the medial side of your knee now hurts more, but I do know that it can happen. Possibly the external tendons on the medial side of your knee had shortened a little and they're now having to stretch, to accommodate the new alignment of your knee.

There's no different therapy required. Just go easy on the exercises and keep up with rest, ice, elevation and medications.

Went out for a day out and had to laugh sat in low chair and could not get out and had to sit there for 30 minutes -before anyone came for me to ask for assistance to get out of chair.:rotfl:

Went out for a day out and had to laugh sat in low chair and could not get out and had to sit there for 30 minutes -before anyone came for me to ask for assistance to get out of chair.:rotfl:
I can relate to that! Just before my surgery, actually at my first appointment with my surgeon, I had to use the restroom and the toilet was not elevated. If they had not had a grab bar right there, I'd probably still be there. :rotfl: Even with the grab bar I was almost unable to rise.

Now that I have had my surgery and almost two weeks of recovery, I am very careful about sitting in low chairs.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom