TKR TortiTabby's recovery

Ten and a half weeks since RTKR. I feel my knee is finally healing some. I've only been doing daily activities and light stretching plus walking forward and backward in the pool. Last night I vaguely felt that I could bend more and when I woke up I noticed that I could bend more - maybe about 95-100 flexion (I've been stuck around 90 for what feels like forever!) Everything in the knee feels a bit more "stretchy" if that makes sense. I'm hoping to gain more flexion over these next several months. I'm looking forward in the future to being an example that ROM comes in time. :eyebrows: And when it does, to notify my "anti-Bonesmart" OS!

Fourteen and 1/2 weeks since the RKTR. Passed the 3 month mark and my flexion has improved to what I'd estimate is about 100 to 105. It appears to improve by the month - not the day, not the week. I haven't been back to the OS that threatened me with MUA at just 2-3 weeks out when I was at 90 ROM and I haven't been to PT since the very beginning. Just daily activities. One thing I have noticed though in this past week is pain when I go from straight to bent, but not when I'm just sitting or laying or even walking. Any idea why? Still healing inside?

Yes, still healing inside.

@TortiTabby ...we're 4 days apart! I have about the same flexion, gave up PT after 3 painful sessions and just rely on ADL. I get the occasional pain that can last a day or two, last week I think it was weather related! Whenever it happens it's a shock because it is infrequent. I also think it's just healing deep down. :fingersx:

Yes, I think you are both correct. I can even feel that the achy-ness is deep inside. Now today it doesn't hurt at all - go figure! I'm definitely more confident now that the ROM will improve over time. :chuckmarch:

Just a quick update - Seventeen weeks and ROM keeps improving, slowly but surely. When I sit in my office chair I can sit with both legs back under the chair. I can also walk downstairs foot over foot depending on how high the rise is on the steps. I don't know what my actual flexion is but I know it has improved (maybe 110 or so?) by what I can do. I can still feel some healing taking place inside since it feels slightly swollen in certain areas, but good progress even it is at a snail's pace! :yahoo:

:yes!: Great update! I think my flexion is about the same but as long as I can continue and improve on ADL then I'm not concerned. I'm not doing stairs enough as yesterday my knee felt like a lump of concrete and the only thing I did different was a flight of stairs the day before - I suppose that's the downside of living on one level!

My ROM is still improving after 2 years, so don’t give up! :wowspring:

ADL????? Is that an emoji?

RTKR July 15, 2019

"ADL" is "activities of daily life", like getting up to go the bathroom, cooking dinner, doing laundry, going to work, etc. etc. In other words, it's only ADL for me, no PT. :)

At my six week appointment this is what my OS wrote in my visit summary: "She reads an online website called Bone Smart which states to not push through pain following knee replacement. If she were to follow this direction, she will have to learn to live with a knee that only reaches to 85 degrees of flexion. I believe this website is very misleading."
It has now been 20 weeks and all I do is ADL and this is what my ROM has done:
3.5 wks: 75
6 wks: 85
7 wks: 90
10.5 wks: 95
14 wks: 100
17 wks: 105
20 weeks (where I am today): 110
I am so thrilled it keeps improving and improving and I know now that I will get to my goal of 120 (or even better, dare I say!) :egypdance:
So, if a OS or PT bullies you into thinking your ROM will not improve over time they are wrong. By the way, I haven't been back to see the OS since that horrible appointment at 6 weeks, but I sure am going back when I reach 120 just to say, "Ha! You were wrong, BoneSmart was right!" :yes:

It is so sad that the medical teams are taught to push, push, push, and overlook the healing factor, and they pass that misinformation on to us.

I’m glad you took charge of your recovery and made an informed decision on how you would recover, and you’re doing great!! :dancy:

I would love for you to be able to video your OS when you show him that the Bonesmart way really works, and then post it on here! Enjoy that new knee!

Just an update for those who are apprehensive about gaining ROM:
It has now been 26 weeks and all I do is ADL and this is what my ROM has done:
3.5 wks: 75
6 wks: 85
7 wks: 90
10.5 wks: 95
14 wks: 100
17 wks: 105
20 weeks: 110
26 weeks (where I am today): 120!!!
I did it! My goal of 120! No "pushing through pain", no PT after the first 3 visits, and most importantly to me: No MUA! My surgeon who said I would never get beyond 85 ROM without pushing through pain was wrong, wrong, wrong. I'm excited to see if it gets even better. :happydance:

That is a fabulous report! Especially since you were told early on that you wouldn’t progress past 85. :happydance:

I am so happy for you and glad you proved that surgeon wrong. :) It's another example of how they don't know what's in store for us as we recover.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88