THR Linette333 is in recovery<

:hi: Hi @linette333
Not sure exactly what the pelvic tilt is but I've learned since my time on the forum that "Bridges" is a core strenghtening exercise that puts a lot of pressure on the hip joint, in an area where muscle and soft tissue has recently been traumatized and in a state of repair. Please go slowly and STOP if anything hurts or just doesn't feel right.

I'm sorry you're not sleeping well. You're in good company, it's a common complaint here, not that it makes it any easier in hearing that. I guess at this point you'll have to catch sleep when you can keeping in mind it's only temporary and it will improve.

Getting out to smell the roses is the best therapy for improving our mood. I'm happy to hear you were able to do that enjoying some time with friends. With any luck you're able to do it again very soon. Thanks for updating.
A great weekend to you!

@linette333 Can't wait to hear how the pysio goes for you! You have me wanting to find a pool to water walk and swim in! We did some pool time this past week while on a mini vacation and it loosened up my hip and back immensely.
Your updates are very informative and can't wait to hear that the piriformis syndrome is resolving-- :flwrysmile:

I bet you'll be able to manage a pelvic tilt, @linette333 In my Pilates class they were always talking about holding a pelvic tilt during various exercises. It's actually not that difficult to do, and while I can't remember WHY it's supposed to be helpful, I never found it difficult. In fact, after reading your post I lay on my back on the floor and tried to do one--not as comfortable as before surgery, but not impossible. Of course, once I was flat on my back on the floor I realized I need to get up somehow! I lay on the middle of the floor with nothing around to use as a support in getting up, so I rolled onto my stomach and crept into a messy "downward dog" with bent legs, walking my feet cautiously towards my hands and then crunching that core and standing up. Now, that was hard for me! Anyway, you're doing great despite that sleep deficit. Just keep moving along, slowly and at a pace that makes sense for you. You are going to get to the of the road, so chin up!

Last edited:
@Barbaraj your description of your getting up from the pelvic tilt exercise made me laugh! You made it though, so well done! I am persevering with it and hopefully it may help.

Yes, @linette333 although I feel I'm doing really well, I still haven't figured out how to get up and down from the ground. As a result I can't get out in the garden and weed--my sole contribution to gardening--and it's frustrating. I can slowly lower myself to the ground but getting up, as I described, is pretty difficult and incredibly awkward still. But, as with everything else here on the hip journey, as you said, one just perseveres and keeps moving along. Taking it one day at a time is key. Have a great day!

How well I remember before my ops the horror of getting off the floor and having to climb up walls, furniture and even people to get up. And working in a primary school especially in Reception there was an awful lot of it! But that's all behind us now! Or will be soon we hope! :driver:

Pelvic tilts--I am to do that as well but standing up . This is to perfect-- and I use the term loosely in my case--my gait. Sounds great that you can do pool stuff. I am envious because I can't for awhile due to other issues but the sleeping issues OMG they are problematic aren't they? Are you able to do naps in the afternoon?

Hi @mikeycat Yes, I have been pool walking 3 times now and I do think it must be helping the operated leg. Everything feels a lot looser afterwards. I'm sure you will enjoy it when you are able to get to it.
Maybe I should try the pelvic tilt standing up as well.
I haven't slept particularly well for years, arthritis pain being the main reason recently of course. I am trying to take naps whenever I can now. The past 3 nights have been much better actually, so I'm hoping it continues.

I was never a nap person and here I am head falling to chest when reading like old folk--er sorry. I sleep about 4 hours a night. Arthritis wasn't an issue guess my thoughts were. I am so glad you are able to get some zzzzzzzzzz. I know when I have slept over 6 hours I feel I can tackle anything.

Glad to read that pool walking is providing some relief, @linette333 And not only is it good for your operated hip, maybe it's also helping to tire you out a bit so that you've slept a bit better. I've not slept well the last couple of nights for some reason. I am physically tired by day's end (the dreaded energy drain) but that hasn't help nudge me over into good sleep--argh. But slowly but steadily it does sound like things are looking up--hurray--and have a great day!

Hello, :wave: I hope you've had a good day.
It's wonderful to read you feel the pool walking is helpful. How encouraging!
And your sleep has been better also... :yes!:
Sounds like things are looking up. Hopefully all continues to improve.
Wishing you a peaceful evening and a great Wednesday!
@linette333

Your PT sounds like mine did - assessment with eagle eyes then suggestions. Im interested in this pelvic tilt thing. I'm going back to my PT on Friday for some help with my gait. I think I might also try pool walking somewhere. I dont think I've suffered the dreaded piriformis syndrome but I'm tight as a two by four and need something to help me move. Great news @linette333 , continued progress to you. :cheers:

Well, the last ten days has been a real rollercoaster - a couple of very good days followed by a very bad day. And repeat ... :groan:
I am sure that I am probably putting myself in the ODIC club on the good days and then paying for it. But I need to be making progress and how much is too much? For example, on Sunday and Monday I did walks (30 mins one day, then 45 mins the next),with no problem and slept quite well. Yesterday I did a 20 minute pool walk (as usual) and the calves of both legs screamed at me all night, resulting in next to no sleep! :tantrum:
I am trying my best to moderate activities whilst aiming at some return to normality, but failing miserably at the moment. Surely all should be getting easier by now?:shrug:

My feelings exactly. Shouldn't it be getting easier by now. I also feel great while I'm out walking, no stiffness. Once I stop moving, my hip stiffens back up. My OS says I'm in the healing stages, give it more time.

I am further ahead in time of surgery but behind in progress. I am glad you can make it to the pool that must be wonderful but your body sure lets you know when you have had enough. I ,too, feel the same way --like when does this show get on the road and what is everyone talking about when you are 'normal'. I did 7 blocks yesterday but not in succession. Had lunch at a cafe and when I arose oh boy, I walked with a backpack and was I slow and then had to sleep and awoke with every muscle screaming. So hard to gage and so hard not to push ahead,eh?

This whole recovery process is constantly testing one's limits, backing off when overuse causes discomfort and then just trying again. I don't think there is any guaranteed way to insure you won't have good days followed by a bad day. I think what really happens is that you just end up slowly getting more good days than bad. Sorry you're aching a bit, @linette333, but don't give up. You are doing the right thing by trying activity followed by rest and I truly think you're going to see better progress soon. This healing just takes its time, doesn't it? Hope today is a better day. And I agree with everyone else, that mornings, after an "allegedly" good night of sleep are definitely tough--I am still and creaky and achy and, yes, it does take getting up and moving around slowly to wake up your body and getting you moving along the day. News flash here is that I think this happens for everyone, not just recovering hipsters.

And everything you hear is that sleeping heals the body, so why do I feel absolutely the worst when I wake up in the morning and have to get moving around?:dubious:

I think some of this can be attributed to Father Time, ladies, wouldn't you agree?

@linette333
It does seem like a lot of trial and error is involved in this recovery business. What works one day, may not the next. I'm sure with the walking going well, but the pool walking being another story, it's the fact that you were engaging different muscles. Take the victories and work on improving the rest is all you can do at this point. You're making progress and that's all that counts. I hope you're having a great Wednesday so far. Enjoy the evening!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom