When to do number 2?

tessa

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I had a RTHR in Nov 2018 after a fairly lengthy period of trying to convince a surgeon there was a problem Eventually I saw a rheumatologist who diagnosed extensive cartilage damage and then a surgeon who offered an arthroscopy but I went for a THR, his first words were “You were right”.
Now at 4 months post op I am making progress, little to no pain and although I haven’t yet got full range of movement I am happy. However by the time I was 6 weeks post op my right hip had already started to “twinge”. I asked the surgeon at my 6 week check and he said “it wasn’t too bad” but will review it in August. It is getting worse and I know it needs doing!
So my question is , is there an optimum time to do a second THR. I have private insurance so can fit it around my life ( two daughters getting married, one in Nov 2019 and one in April 2020), is it better to wait until the other hip is completely healed or just go for it?

Hello @tessa. I'm getting ready for my left hip. Had right one done 2016. There are those here that had both done same time, others with a little time between. If it was me in your shoes I would get it done now.

@tessa - I have been having the same thoughts- I have a bone spur which clicks but is not sore. My strategy is to keep strong and avoid high impact activities - I hope to avoid number 2 but we are all different.

@tessa , me too! I am hoping to have a period to enjoy the new lefty, but the X-ray that showed severe OA on left showed moderate on right and just today I felt it catch in the way lefty used to, so it is in my thoughts too. In my case, I don’t feel that lefty is quite ready to play good leg. I can’t yet walk downstairs with alternating feet, and I would want to be able to do that, so I could cosset the new righty. But there are others on here who have had the second one within 3 months and have done ok.

Pre op I couldn’t dance at weddings, now at 4 months I could, with caution. Hopefully at 5 months even better. So unless you think your second hip is going to remain dance-capable until after April 2020, maybe the sooner the better?

I had my right hip replaced first, but the surgeon told me they both needed it. But I wanted my left hip done as soon as possible after word, because it was painful, and I didn’t want to damage it any further or to accidentally damage the right implant by modifying my walk to relieve the pain on the left side. I had the left hip replaced the day after my restrictions were lifted for the right hip, and so far everything is fine. I can feel that the right hip still has some weakness, but it is definitely strong enough to be lead hip.

At my 2 yr. anniversary xray surgeon said my new right one looked good but lefty is right behind. Lefty started talking last summer when mowing. Wish I could of got it done last summer. Oh well, getting it done now! :tada:

Once I got the left side fixed, the right side said "hey! Remember me?"

i got the 2nd surgery done 10 months after the first.

I got my right hip done in March 2018, the left hip started freaking out in July of the same year. I had the left done 11 months later. (Hip dysplasia is a brutal mistress)
Why wait? I had to have a matching set....:ice:

:hi: Both daughters planning a wedding?:flabber:
My son is just "showing up" but bet all is much more involved when it's your daughter.:)
Oh, if we could have a crystal ball right?
Those hips can go from Bad to Unbearable ...and whose to know how long it takes to get that way.

I'm sure you aren't looking forward to another hip surgery
But Would be nice to be working with two good hips by summer's end.:SUNsmile:

My vote says get it done now & the sooner the better. You might even have a fighting chance of wearing some nice shoes but will certainly be able to do a dance or two, help with a bit of prep, etc. I know for me leading up to this surgery I would have been useless to help with anything at all.

In my experience the longer you wait the more complicated the recovery. Limping around impacts so many other areas of your body. Get that other hip done and get on with living!

Well decision made! Saw the surgeon for a routine follow up for The left and he agreed there has been a significant change to the right hip. To be honest it is painful at times but not as restrictive as the left was, but I can feel the change. I absolutely do not want to get the the pint I was before so we have agreed that I will have the right hip done on November 19th. That’s 10 days after daughter no. 1 wedding and 5 months before daughter no. 2!

Congratulations on making the decision and wow, right between those weddings. This should work out pretty good for you!!

Sounds like a great decision with great timing for both weddings. We will both be recovering at same time as my surgery is Nov.13.

I have been concerned about the impact of compensating motion/movement on the "good hip" for the time leading up to the first surgery and this is an eye opener......

The difference in the x ray of my good hip over 18 months was quite remarkable!

Hello and Happy Sunday to you,
Perfect timing it seems and almost YTD of your first!
Wishing you comfort as the excitement mounts through the planning of your daughter's weddings.
Stay in touch. We'll be here. :wink:
@tessa

I agree with you.I would never want my left hip to get as bad as my right hip. I think that is why many people have the second hip done sooner.

Mine were done 15 weeks apart, the second one being Wednesday .
My surgeon wont do two at once and I specifically wanted him.
To get two done in the same calendar year saved us thousands in deductibles and copays. I wanted to go close together because one hip was truly as bad as the other. My first hip is doing ok helping out his titanium younger brother. Comes down to individual circumstances, but I'm sure youll get it all sorted out an dance at the weddings! :dancy:@tessa

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom