Don't be like me and wait too long!

Wow, fabulous that you're doing so great before surgery, @mainegirl1 You are sleeping comfortably through the night, no medication and moving pretty well. What a blessing! I felt like that a bit before my second surgery as well, although anytime I sat for more than ten minutes and would get that deep ache in my buttock and thigh, I remembered, "oh, yeah, that's why I'm doing this". I hope this relatively comfortable and pain-free lead up to surgery continues. Good luck on upping the hydration. I, too, hate drinking so that I am up even once during the night so I'm sure I'm probably always in a state of dehydration (!) but trying to guzzle more during the day, however, with limited success. But good for you for realizing you need to drink more and focus on doing that. Enjoy your ocean trip and photography session--sounds like a lovely day. Cheers!

Because of the threat of thunderstorms that had the nerve not to show up in the end:blackcloud: we did not go paddling on the ocean. Will try again Thursday!
Tomorrow I get to go to dinner with my friend who I don't see too often but over wine I will ply her with questions re PT after six weeks post op ( surgeon does not allow it before then). I want to get her recommendations for what she found for PT post hip replacement.. I don't want to go to a one size fits all operation. And she is a thorough researcher.

I get twinges now and then.. reminders.. I seem to be tired though and perhaps am not sleeping as well as I could.. I suppose after a while you get inured to aches..

Have a lovely time with your friend at dinner tonight, @mainegirl1 How nice to have a friend who's a thorough researcher so you can take advantage of that. I agree that finding a good therapist when you're cleared for PT is critical. I'm sure you've read on this forum about the bad ones who take a cookie cutter approach to PT and are terribly at tailoring programs individually to their clients. I think I have a pretty good one, and I'm eager to get back to PT in a few weeks. And discussing ANYTHING over wine is a winner as far as I'm concerned. Enjoy!

We had a lovely dinner. She was late and the restaurant has stairs I saw her running and bounding up the stairs.. She is 76. We have the same surgeon and she was kidding me about the OS visit the second morning.. He came in with coffee. For himself. I will see him before surgery and remind him that I am grumpy if I have not had coffee and see someone who has their own coffee in hand.
She was very calming .. not a big deal.. She said "You will be out before you settle in".

I have had PT before after TKR and I am looking for some specific exercises so I can mount a bike again normally.. the PT ones post TKR addressed only things you need for old lady life.. I waited till 12 weeks before going back to the gym ( not PT but some 90 percent cheaper than PT) to do machines. At that time it became apparent that the hip did not like the machines.
I am looking forward to swimming again.. Good PT is some 60 minutes away.. The pool is year round indoors in a campground some 5 minutes away and it is $5 for 2.5 hours vs $45 for 45 minutes for PT. We live on a lake and swimming with a bum hip is not very fun..
Most of all I plan on having secure walking before the snow and ice hits... Which will be in about 90 days now.. The leaves are already turning.. ( red maples)

And no I am not prepared for meals.. so meh hubby can shop.. He tends to stick to home too much. He needs to get out .. The trip to the grocery store will occupy him.. ( Its 26 miles away). No there are no delivery services or Uber or Lyft here! Someday I will go to Costco.. Its 360 miles round trip to the nearest one though

Morning @mainegirl1. Leaves turning, wow that is amazing for this Iowan girl. Neighbor's apples are just starting to turn red. You had a good dinner with a fellow hippie, nice. It's good that hubby gets out to shop, for both of you. I like the indoor pool so close and reasonable price. Have you thought of asking PT in the hospital of exercises for bike mounting. I went to PT for two sessions, asked alot of questions about how to get where I wanted to go. I was upfront saying "I can't do many sessions so if you can give me print outs and guide me through them." Anyway, I think any good PT person in the hospital could help you set up a game plan to work towards. I just love reading your threads. Canoes, camping, trekking through the wilderness my kind of stuff. I would add fishing and horseback riding to my mix in a cabin on a lake with an indoor pool. Take care, only a few more days!

Good day, @mainegirl1 I think the idea of telling the PT person at the hospital before discharge that you have limited access to PT but do have a pool and perhaps a gym, and could the person help you put together a home improvement plan that wouldn't involve weekly PT sessions might work for you. I am not a pool person but it seems like a number of folks on this forum have found pool walking and workouts a gentle form of exercise which has helped with recovery.

And, yes, your husband can shop and cook during early recovery! I'd totally put that responsibility on him with a smile and a firm notice that HE needs to figure this out. Glad last night's dinner was fun. Sounds like a pleasant evening.

My OS forbids PT before six weeks and the team is so integrated that I have to frame the question carefully lest they think I am barreling off to PT after discharge.. But yes @julesglass and @Barbaraj I will ask.

I think as I practice even now my golf pickup technique I can try to hold my affected leg higher to work that muscle. We will see.. I just have to get it high enough to clear the wheel. Horseback riding I would love! I cant get my legs far enough apart now.. Maybe that is a good visual for PT.

Did a ten mile paddle on the ocean.. Now sunburned ( yep forgot the sunscreen). Wonderful serene day playing with seals swimming with us now and then.. The wind kicked up for a little adventure with breaking waves.. Watched lobstermen at work. Lunch in the shade on a sandy beach with oysters around
In the kayak ( its a sea canoe actually with a slightly elevated seat ) Mr Hip hurts not at all.. And did not hurt until I had to walk back to the car some 400 feet to get the car!! It is so temperamental.. Good Child until it is VERY BAD child.

Oh yes I did a little pre op prep for food.. Near our launch spot is a great bread bakery.. We stocked up for three weeks..
Blueberry Raspberry Lemonade Bread.
Baby Spinach, onion Garlic Ciabatta
Maple Walnut Banana
German Sourdough

Oh I have to pay attention now to pre op prep. Stop taking Aleve tomorrow.. ( I have been taking one a day for three weeks and its helped alot with Tylenol)

I spent a lot of the time on the water thinking of a friend in Missouri who had open heart surgery July 27. Due to complications he was in a medically induced coma for two weeks. And now is awake sort of. Extubated yesterday.. But today a CT scan revealed liver pancreas and gall bladder and lung lesions.

Makes a THR seem like a lark in the park

Last edited:
Sounds like a beautiful day out on the water. I love different breads, any kind with melted butter. I figure come spring I'll be able to swing a leg over the back of my daughter-in-law's horse. I'd love to see seals that close, what a day. My heart goes out to your friend, that's tough.

Yes that is not only tough it is a sock in the face that reminds us that we are mortal.. It seems that at age 58 his life is done. He is too weak for further procedures.

and this morning I watched The Little Couple.. Jen was getting a Hip Replacement.. TMI!! Timely??

I hope you're doing okay this morning, @mainegirl1 I know you said you were having to stop the Aleve today and I know it's worked pretty well for you in helping to stave off pain and allow you to be more active (that in addition to the fact that you ARE active in general) but you're getting close now--three more days to go! Your paddling trip, despite the fact you forgot the sunscreen, sounds enjoyable, especially the lunch in a sheltered cove. Sorry to read about your friend, so young and it must be heartbreaking. Yes, life is finite and we all need to remember that and appreciate each and every day, despite hip annoyances and pain. Hang in there, and have a great Friday!

Last night not fun. Homestretch.. Visited my neighbor next door who had two guests . Of course they knew of people that had TKR and THR and asked if I had a home health aide as they were necessary and when did I start PT?
Told them no its not necessary.. They shook their heads in disbelief.. I wasn't going to argue.. One said that her friends mother's friend( you know how this goes) was in pain two months post TKR and wasn't doing enough PT..

Sigh.

Did some errands now home need nap. And underwear. Walmart was frustrating and a mess.

It sounds like you enjoyed your time paddling on the ocean. A good way to fill a day as you await Monday.
You're finally only a weekend away from your big day. :yay:

Ignoring the comments of well meaning friends is the best thing to do.
It always amazes me how people who haven't experienced joint replacment themselves so confidently dole out comments and advice.

I hope you have plans for the weekend that serve as a distraction and help the time pass quickly until Monday.
Wishing you comfort as you wait. :)
@mainegirl1

Your day is almost here. Hang in there and enjoy the week end. Hopefully the weather will be bright and shiny for you. It sounds absolutely beautiful where you live.

:hi: @mainegirl1
Hope you do something relaxing and fun today.
You are going to get through this hip replacement recovery with a host of Bonesmartie friends...
The wait is almost over.
Sending you virtual hugs of comfort.:angel:

You've just rounded the last lap and the finish line is in sight!! Your trophy is just within reach, see you in the winner's circle! :happyfeet:

@julesglass I love your dancing penguin!
@Mojo333 after all this waiting time I could have been packing.. Better do that pretty soon!

Getting a wee bit of butterflies..

:console2:I know...I remember how anxious I was. :unsure:
I also remember I packed the morning of...the ultimate procrastinator in some weird state of denial...
Kind of went into resigned mode and lo and behold...I came through new and improved.
Lots of life to live and we'll get through it all together!:friends:

If I packed the morning of surgery I would have to get up at two thirty.. Three am is bad enough!
Its not nice today. Its not raining but it is 57 degrees and a bit cool to swim.. So I am doing laundry and washing windows and after dressing it will be off to the farm to buy vegetables.

I am sorry your weather is not cooperating. Best wishes for Monday and looking forward to your recovery thread.:flwrysmile:

helloooooo @mainegirl1 !! Wow, your temps are rather chilly. You very well may need that down coat.
Your long awaited time is finally here.. almost.
I am wishing for you all the best, you will do just fine and can't wait for your updates on the recovery side... or as they used to say.... the other side. :heehee: W?he I was a newbie on here 4 years ago that sounded so ominous.... but it's the exact opposite. :flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie